Windows 10: Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work

Discus and support Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The search bar in my files explorer won't actually search anything, just to make it clear it isn't the search bar on the left but the smaller one on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by horizonseoulo, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work

The search bar in my files explorer won't actually search anything, just to make it clear it isn't the search bar on the left but the smaller one on the right that won't actually do anything/highlight anything Screenshot - ae72785c768d4df8a79ce4627f494350 - Gyazo
    I used ctrl+f and it doesn't help. Any help would be great, thanks.

:)

horizonseoulo, Aug 22, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User

lost excel file

Windows Update normally does not delete your personal data files. What may have happened is the shortcuts to it in your program were deleted.

First, try using the search bar (upper right corner) in File Explorer to search for the file name.

If that doesn't work, try searching for the file name in the Win 10 search.

If that doesn't work, I can give you the name of a file name search tool you can try.

Rohn007, Aug 22, 2017
  3. File Explorer

File Explorer search doesn't seem to work. I enter what I want to search for in the search box, and the search options appear on the tool bar, but the search isn't executed. Is there something else I
    need to do to initiate the search?

RichardKeierleber, Aug 22, 2017
  4. linhlz Win User

Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work

I suspect your problem might be indexing. There's a simple fix "Windows 10 taskbar is not working"! No need to mess around with your Registry.Navigate to this folder,c:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\1033\And DELETE the file: StructuredQuerySchema.bin:

Read more: Windows 10 Taskbar Not Working (Fixed)

linhlz, Aug 22, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    The bar on the left is not a Search Bar. It is an Address Bar and is there for you to enter a path to go to. It has been that way since they started to use Windows Explorer, which is written from the code for IE. At some point, that will change to where Edge will become its base, which means time to use an alternative with more power rich features.

bro67, Aug 22, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    They stated about the Explorer Address bar, not the actual Search feature. Nothing is broken, just user error.

The link you posted is about the Taskbar, which is the bar for the Start Menu, icons for programs open, and the area for the clock, volume, etc. Forcing Windows Explorer has always been the solution and the problem when you do a registry edit or SSDP & UPNP used to get hung up with XP.

bro67, Aug 22, 2017
  7. I did kinda said that it wasn't the search bar (address bar, samething i guess) on the left that was the issue but the one on the right. Also I have already tried restarting windows explorer in task manager but it doesn't seem to fix anything. Also I placed a gyazo link to clarify what im trying to show.

Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work [​IMG]

Screenshot - 292a5cbf048ef2a94e2994e24b4a7fe2 - Gyazo i inputted 'dark souls' into the search bar but it doesn't highlight nor direct me to it.

horizonseoulo, Aug 22, 2017
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Hey horizonseoulo,
    If you haven't already try Troubleshoot ... Settings > Updates & Security > Troubleshoot (on the left) > Scroll down till you find Search and Indexing.

Eagle51, Aug 22, 2017
  9. Thanks, but the troubleshooter didn't pick anything up.

horizonseoulo, Aug 23, 2017
  10. Eagle51 Win User
    Troubleshoot should have caught this, but I'd double check that Windows Search is actually running.
    winkey + s > type in services > click on services in list > scroll down to windows search

Note: I'd also check Event Viewer to see if it has any errors/warnings about Search

Eagle51, Aug 23, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    I just saw that. Have you tried to reset Indexing and the Search and Index services? There are better utilities out there that do a better job in looking for files that are not in the regular user folder. Try Cerebo. It is modeled off of Mac OS Spotlight. Windows 10 Tip: Cerebro is a great Apple Spotlight alternative for Windows 10 - MSPoweruser Wox is another. This is some more. 10 Best Free Search Tools for Windows 10

Windows does lack when it comes to having a proper search. Indexer only cares about what is in your user folder and favorites, than what is on the drive.

bro67, Aug 23, 2017
  12. I got Cerebro thanks for the help

horizonseoulo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work - Similar Threads - Search bar file

2. Windows 11 file explorer search bar not working!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file explorer search bar not working!: Hello Microsoft,I have complaints to state regards to windows 11.I recently upgraded from windows 10 to 11, while working with it, I found out that it always lags and slows down the pc mostly when three to four programs are on the run and it takes time to open up programs...
  3. Windows 11 file explorer search bar not working!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file explorer search bar not working!: Hello Microsoft,I have complaints to state regards to windows 11.I recently upgraded from windows 10 to 11, while working with it, I found out that it always lags and slows down the pc mostly when three to four programs are on the run and it takes time to open up programs...
  4. Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search

in Cortana
    Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search: I have Windows 10 21H2. When I search files in Explorer the search bar it looks like thisBut on another PC with the same OS version it looks like thisAs I understand starting from 1909 Explorer uses Windows Search and search bar should look like second screenshot, but it...
  5. Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search: I have Windows 10 21H2. When I search files in Explorer the search bar it looks like thisBut on another PC with the same OS version it looks like thisAs I understand starting from 1909 Explorer uses Windows Search and search bar should look like second screenshot, but it...
  6. Search bar in Explorer doesn't use Windows Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. windows 10 search bar not working or search in file explorer

in Cortana
    windows 10 search bar not working or search in file explorer: windows 10 search bar not working or search in file explorer did sfc dism https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-bar-not-working-or-search-in/7439bec3-97fa-4e3d-b4fd-946e6db94014
  8. File Explorer and Task Bar Search Not Working

in Cortana
    File Explorer and Task Bar Search Not Working: Hi, Recently I cannot search for files in the File Explorer search box and the Taskbar search option does not work. I have tried all these Under Task Manager, re-start File Explorer Under Task Manager - Details, cannot find Under File Explorer - View - Options -...
  9. Search button/bar/file explorer not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search button/bar/file explorer not working: I can't click any of the search buttons at all (they don't do anything). I have rebuilt the index, reset apps to default and restarted computer multiple times. I'm on insider build 19041.264 (version 2004). submitted by /u/AeonCaptain [link] [comments]...
  10. File Explorer search bar not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search bar not working: I've noticed this issue yesterday. When I try to search something in my File Explorer it looks like it's searching but the green bar seems to go on forever. I left it up for an hour and it was still searching when I came back. I even tried to look for files that I knew were...