Windows 10: Search bar is not functioning.

Discus and support Search bar is not functioning. in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello!Today I started up my computer with my search bar not working. I would click on it and it would disappear after a couple of seconds. I usually... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by BATTERY.exe, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Search bar is not functioning.

Hello!Today I started up my computer with my search bar not working. I would click on it and it would disappear after a couple of seconds. I usually can't type in it and I have tried many fixes such as ending search in task manager, using powershell, restarting explorer, deleting the registry. So far, nothing has worked. It started today and I haven't installed any updates since over 10 days ago. I am running update 21H1 Build 19043.Thank you in advance.

:)

BATTERY.exe, Aug 2, 2021

2. Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 2, 2021
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Removing a search Bar

Hi Dave,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I will surely help you.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Did it appear after performing any particular function?

You may try to uninstall the search bar and check if it helps. To uninstall the
    search bar follow these steps:

• Right-click on
      Start Button and click on Programs and Features.

• Right-click on the
      search bar and click on Uninstall.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Aug 2, 2021
  4. Search bar is not functioning.

search bar is not functioning with net connection / without net connection

Hello,

As you are facing issues with accessing the Search bar on your device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know if you have made any software/ hardware changes on your device?

Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: As Windows Search service is already running, I suggest you to restart the service.

Windows Search service provides content indexing, property caching and search results for files, e-mails and other contents.

• Click Start, type
      Services.msc
      in the Start Search box.
    • Scroll down the list of services, right-click
      Windows Search
      and select Start.
    • Also, right-click and select Properties for
      Windows Search and set its Startup Type to
      Automatic.

Step 2: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below:

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Step 3: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key, click on Settings
    • select Updates & Security.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 2, 2021
Thema:

Search bar is not functioning.

1. Search bar is not functioning. - Similar Threads - Search bar functioning

2. Search Bar Function Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Bar Function Not Working: Hello: my search bar continues to not work. I have tried all of the methods within the community. What is strange is that I am able to paste in text; however, the actual keyboard will not type into the search box. This is extremely frustrating. Please help!...
  3. Search Bar Function Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Bar Function Not Working: Hello: my search bar continues to not work. I have tried all of the methods within the community. What is strange is that I am able to paste in text; however, the actual keyboard will not type into the search box. This is extremely frustrating. Please help!...
  4. The search bar on Windows is not functioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The search bar on Windows is not functioning: I accidentally used a batch file and it changed the values of the registry. When I try to type into the search boxes on Windows, it doesn't allow me to type. I have found some keys that have been modified.Key: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search"...
  5. The search bar on Windows is not functioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The search bar on Windows is not functioning: I accidentally used a batch file and it changed the values of the registry. When I try to type into the search boxes on Windows, it doesn't allow me to type. I have found some keys that have been modified.Key: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search"...
  6. The search bar on Windows is not functioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Non-Functioning Windows 10 Search Bar

in Cortana
    Non-Functioning Windows 10 Search Bar: The search bar in windows 10 is not currently working for me. When I click on the search bar, it does not let me type anything, and the window that appears above the search bar after clicking on it is blank most of the time, occasionally it will flash the normal apps. The...
  8. Search Bar Stops Functioning

in Cortana
    Search Bar Stops Functioning: Good Morning, Windows 10 pro 1909 ver. 10.0.18363.900 Office Professional Plus 2013 Utilizing Outlook 2013 I have discovered that starting the system, the search bar functions as it should, this morning, the only thing I accessed was Outlook Send And Receive, looked at an...
  9. Search bar not functioning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar not functioning: I've had an issue lately with the windows search bar not functioning correctly, I have no idea what caused this and don't recall doing anything that could be damaging to the os. https://i.imgur.com/5aTll3L.png submitted by /u/RANDOM_IMPLOSIONS [link] [comments]...
  10. Non-Functional Search Bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Non-Functional Search Bar: After I update Windows 10 Professional, the search bar on the left bottom of my screen will no longer work and the icon window above it is blank. If I roll back the latest update, it works again. I have tried many of the online suggestions to no avail. The problem started...