Windows 10: Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document

Discus and support Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Two days ago before I upgraded to Windows 11, when I did a search in the search bar at the bottom left hand of my screen, I could right click on any of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by lazybluestar, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document

Two days ago before I upgraded to Windows 11, when I did a search in the search bar at the bottom left hand of my screen, I could right click on any of the documents and then open the folder that the document was located in. How do I get this ability back in Windows 11? This has consumed so much of my time in the last few days, writing down the links to the folders so I can find all the relevant documents in a folder not just the document that connects with the right search term.

:)

lazybluestar, Nov 3, 2021

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 3, 2021
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows boots, My Documents auto opens. WTF?

That was going to be my first suggestion. *Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Nov 3, 2021
  4. Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document

Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Nov 3, 2021
Thema:

Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document

1. Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document - Similar Threads - Search Bar Opening

2. Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Bar - Opening folders where document is located instead of just the document: Two days ago before I upgraded to Windows 11, when I did a search in the search bar at the bottom left hand of my screen, I could right click on any of the documents and then open the folder that the document was located in. How do I get this ability back in Windows 11? This...
  3. the 6n folder located in Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    the 6n folder located in Documents folder: Windows 10/64: I have just found a folder titled "6n" located in Documents which has exactly the same file folders as one I created for our family photos. I did not intentionally create this folder. Why is it there and can I delete it?...
  4. OPENING FOLDERS OR DOCUMENTS

in Windows 10 Customization
    OPENING FOLDERS OR DOCUMENTS: EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND...
  5. Unable to open documents from the search bar.

Unable to open documents from the search bar.: When I search for an item in my search bar, once found, I'm unable to open it directly. I have to go to the file folder it's in and open it from there. This has never been an issue until today. Occasionally, I will get a pop up that tells me I don't have permission to open...
  6. where is the document I just scanned

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    where is the document I just scanned: where is the document I just scanned https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-the-document-i-just-scanned/66c88cce-8718-448a-8ec1-136f4175c350
  7. Listing document folders instead of "documents" when I want to open a word doc.

Listing document folders instead of "documents" when I want to open a word doc.: I have Windows 10. When I want to open a document in word, I click "Open" and options come up - I use "Browse" The list that comes up under "This PC" has a label "documents" but I want the list togo straight to the names of the different folders. This was the way I had it...
  8. Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders

Unable to open documents in the DOWNLOADS and DOCUMENTS folders: Since the past two days, after having downloaded a few documents, I am unable to open them. When I right click to open, it just gets stuck and I have to close it. I have tried moving the folder onto my desktop but once I open that and try to open a document inside, it just...
  9. Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive

in Cortana
    Windows Search for documents should be opened locally instead on OneDrive: Dear Community, when I use the Windows-Button to search for e.g. Word or PDF documents, Edge is opened with a OneDrive link. The website tells me that the file is not available. Is it possible to open the file locally in the Explorer? Thank you very much for the answer!...
  10. Opening folder in "Documents"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening folder in "Documents": I can't access a folder in "Documents" ever since I got a new computer with a Windows update. Can you help me access it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/opening-folder-in-documents/06a648ff-341e-473d-b97e-64fc40102620