Windows 10: Search Bar stopped working (Win 10 Pro v 2004)

Discus and support Search Bar stopped working (Win 10 Pro v 2004) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I hope someone can help me with this. I run win 10 Pro x64 and 2 days ago I upgraded from v1909 to v2004 (build 19041.388). Everything was OK at first... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tjbuc, Aug 2, 2020.

1. tjbuc Win User

Search Bar stopped working (Win 10 Pro v 2004)

I hope someone can help me with this. I run win 10 Pro x64 and 2 days ago I upgraded from v1909 to v2004 (build 19041.388). Everything was OK at first (including search), however at some point on 1 August the Search icon / bar in the taskbar and in Windows (File) Explorer stopped working. I usually have only the icon visible in the taskbar and clicking it does nothing. In Windows (File) Explorer the search bar is visible but is not clickable.

I have been here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windows-search and nothing from there has fixed it. Note that in v2004 SearchUI.exe no longer exists, it is now SearchApp.exe.

Indexing is working fine (I also cleared the index and rebuilt it) but the Search UI will not load and SearchApp.exe is not showing up in task manager - details.

I have a second admin account on the PC so I logged in with that and search is working fine there. So I am left thinking that its a Microsoft Profile issue which likely started after clearing all history at https://account.microsoft.com/privacy/ However, no matter what I do in Windows Privacy Settings,steps as per the article above, or anything else I thought may help, I have not been able to restore the search function which I really need.

I don't use Cortana and although the new Cortana app is in my list of apps and starts on request, I have not given it permission to access anything and I have now set it not to run at start up.

I am not keen to roll back to my previous version of Windows when everything else works fine and in any case it may not solve the problem in this case. I'm also not interested in running a 3rd party search app.

I would welcome sugestions from anyone who has seen / solved similar issues before.

Thanks, Tony J

:)

tjbuc, Aug 2, 2020
  2. OldNavyGuy, Aug 2, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Aug 2, 2020
  4. fussybob Win User

IE11 Google Toolbar no auto search suggestions, no search history?

Since the last Win 10 update my Google Toolbar won't list any search suggestions as I type and there is no search history listed. The Google tool bar will allow a search, but after a few searches no search history shows and no "clear search" button is listed either.

I have turnd on "Suggest searches as you type", and "store search histroy on my computer" in the Google Toolbar options.

Any suggestions to fix this?

fussybob, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Search Bar stopped working (Win 10 Pro v 2004) - Similar Threads - Search Bar stopped

2. Win 10 search stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 search stopped working: I'm running win10 64-bit, and the search feature has totally stopped. I can no longer search for anything. I can't even type in the search bar unless I close the window and reload it.Nothing I type in the search box shows up in the search. I tried resetting search to default...
  3. Win 10 search stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 search stopped working: I'm running win10 64-bit, and the search feature has totally stopped. I can no longer search for anything. I can't even type in the search bar unless I close the window and reload it.Nothing I type in the search box shows up in the search. I tried resetting search to default...
  4. Win 10 search stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. WIN+V not working in Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIN+V not working in Windows 10 Pro: WIN LOGO key works, because when I press it, the START menu comes upBut, WIN+V is not displaying the Clipboard history.Yes, it's enabled.When I Ctrl + C, the copied material shows up on another PC which is Windows 11...
  6. WIN+V not working in Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIN+V not working in Windows 10 Pro: WIN LOGO key works, because when I press it, the START menu comes upBut, WIN+V is not displaying the Clipboard history.Yes, it's enabled.When I Ctrl + C, the copied material shows up on another PC which is Windows 11...
  7. WIN+V not working in Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Win 10 v. 2004 installation failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 v. 2004 installation failed: I have three desktops, two of them successfully updated to Win 10 2004. The third one (4 yrs old), currently at v.1903, does offer in Windows Update "Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004 .... When you are ready for the update, select Download and install." I did that,...
  9. WIN 10 upgrade from V 1903 to V 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN 10 upgrade from V 1903 to V 2004: I recently purchased an HP Envy Laptop and it came installed with V. 1903 Build 18362.778, install date 03/17/20. EDGE version is 84.0.522.44. I have Windows Updates paused thru 02/08/21. My Laptop & Windows & Applications are working just fine. I create manual...
  10. Win 10 Pro search bar "Type here to search" not working

in Cortana
    Win 10 Pro search bar "Type here to search" not working: I can type a query into the search bar, and it gives me options to click on. Regardless of what I click on a large search window appears briefly then closes. Ideas?...