Windows 10: Search Bars and Passoword Entry

Discus and support Search Bars and Passoword Entry in Cortana to solve the problem; For several months I have not been able to enter anything into any Windows Search bar - Task Bar, Settings etc. I have the same problem when I try to... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by HeatherSweeny, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Search Bars and Passoword Entry

For several months I have not been able to enter anything into any Windows Search bar - Task Bar, Settings etc. I have the same problem when I try to enter my Microsoft Account password from anywhere other than settings I think it only works because it is saved and doesn't have to be entered manually. I get the blinking cursor which normally indicates it's really to accept input. However, when I attempt to enter anything nothing happens. No dot, search bar doesn't change at all. The cursor still blinks, but I can't get anything entered. It's really a problem, and no rebooting does not help. I can't find Cortana on my computer so I don't know if that's the problem or not.

:)

HeatherSweeny, Jan 21, 2021

2. How to clear the search record at the search bar on Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience happened. We are glad to help you.

Please share this:

• Which search bar are you referring to?

• Is it the search bar in file explorer or the search bar on desktop (cortana and search)?
    If you are referring to the search bar in file explorer, I suggest you to follow the steps given below and check if it helps:
    (to delete a specific entry)

• Open File Explorer.

• Click/tap inside the Search box, then select (highlight) the search suggestion (ex:
      ttt) that you want to delete, and press the Delete key.

• You will not notice that it has been deleted.

• Repeat if you would like to delete another one.

To clear all search entries, follow this:

• Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, then
      run it.

Clear_Search_History_in_File_Explorer.bat

2. If prompted, click/tap on Run.

NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by
    unblocking

the downloaded .bat file

3. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close while applying the changes to your registry.

Hope this information helps. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Jan 21, 2021
  3. Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 21, 2021
  4. fussybob Win User

Search Bars and Passoword Entry

IE11 Google Toolbar no auto search suggestions, no search history?

Since the last Win 10 update my Google Toolbar won't list any search suggestions as I type and there is no search history listed. The Google tool bar will allow a search, but after a few searches no search history shows and no "clear search" button is listed either.

I have turnd on "Suggest searches as you type", and "store search histroy on my computer" in the Google Toolbar options.

Any suggestions to fix this?

fussybob, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Search Bars and Passoword Entry

1. Search Bars and Passoword Entry - Similar Threads - Search Bars Passoword

2. PASSOWORD NOT WORKING AFTER LATEST UPDATE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PASSOWORD NOT WORKING AFTER LATEST UPDATE: After the latest update my computer will not boot up properly. I keep getting the Automatic Repair screen with "Your PC did not start correctly".When I try to shut down and restart I keep getting the same screen. In advance options I am trying to Uninstall the latest Quality...
  3. Search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search bar: When I go into settings, file search or even the search bar in the bottom left.My computer constantly clicks the search bar.It doesn't do this on google chrome or any other non windows software.I have tried replacing my mouse and this did not work.Why is it doing this? It...
  4. Search Bar

in Cortana
    Search Bar: When I try to type in the Windows 10 Search Bar, all I get are scrolling horizontal blue dots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar/5948ae36-69a8-44b3-a511-f1882456c6fa
  5. search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    search bar: i have a new laptop Lenovo legion y540-17IRH and on the bottom bar next to the windows icon there is this little searchbar but im unable to use it. when i klick on it there is no reaction....
  6. Search Bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar: After the latest update, I can type no more than three characters in the search bar next to the start button. I'm on version Version 1909 Build 18363.959. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can offer. submitted by /u/patco81 [link] [comments]...
  7. search bar

in Windows 10 Support
    search bar: Can I remove the search bar? I find it irritating and I don't use Chrome. 157359
  8. No option to save search entry?

in Cortana
    No option to save search entry?: Hope this is the right forum. It's a search question. New to Windows 10. Bottom left hand of screen is the search window that says Type Here to Search. When I enter what I want to search, and then click on what type of search I want, and then look at one of the results -...
  9. Search bar

in Cortana
    Search bar: After installing the latest update for windows 10 from microsoft updates I noticed that I'm unable to type anything into the search bar. I've tried several things found on various windows forums with no success. I've also uninstalled the said latest update but no joy. Is...
  10. Search for settings entries in the normal search bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Search for settings entries in the normal search bar: I just installed the latest preview build yesterday. And I noticed that some search functionality is now different. I want to be able to search for 'power options' right on the normal search bar. I can no longer do that. I need to first search for settings, open settings app...