Windows 10: Search bars and start menu broken

Discus and support Search bars and start menu broken in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Search bar in task bar does not accept any input and flickers when clicked, search bars in windows accept input but display only empty pages instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Alexander F.Wüst, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Search bars and start menu broken

Search bar in task bar does not accept any input and flickers when clicked, search bars in windows accept input but display only empty pages instead of search results. Right clicking in start menu won't work and I also can't open any cascading menus in the start menu.

Had Windows reinstalled last night, did not work, also a problem with the Windows Apps folder, as I do not have permission to access, which means programs won't start that are stored there. Have taken ownership of the folder and all subsequent folders, but did not yield the wanted result.

No idea what else to do.

Thankful for any and all ideas.

:)

Alexander F.Wüst, Apr 8, 2020

2. Issues with accessing apps throuhg Start Menu and Search bar on windows10.

Hi Indrik,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message when you click on Start Menu?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in Microsoft Help Article about Start menu issues and also try to start Windows Search service. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Step 2: I suggest you to try to start Windows Search services
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and click on it.

3. Search for Windows Search.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start button.

Note: If you are not able to change the Startup type, then continue starting the service by clicking on Start button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and search bar, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 8, 2020
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Apr 8, 2020
  4. Search bars and start menu broken

No Search Bar in Start Menu

Hello,

My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot.

Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list of Windows items that can be turned on or off.

Where is the search bar?

Problem 2: I need the search bar to find the Snipping Tool!

Thanks Search bars and start menu broken :)

Jon Chelberg, Apr 8, 2020
Thema:

Search bars and start menu broken

1. Search bars and start menu broken - Similar Threads - Search bars start

2. Broken icons in search of start menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Broken icons in search of start menu.: Hi all, I have an issue with the icons in the search of start. They look blank / broken, please see the screen shot. See the Weather app as an example: [ATTACH] This happened to all my machines, desktop and 2 laptops. On all devices I run Windows 10 Pro - 20H2. Do you...
  3. Start menu search funtion broken

in Cortana
    Start menu search funtion broken: In the bottom left of the screen, I have enabled the little search button next to the windows icon. clicking this button does nothing. Typing while the start menu is open does nothing. Attempting to disable the button/combine it with the start menu button does nothing....
  4. Start Menu Program Search Broken

in Cortana
    Start Menu Program Search Broken: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  5. Errro with Start Menu and start search bar

Errro with Start Menu and start search bar: I need help with the error in the image attached. I don't know if it is a virus. I have updated windows but still this problem. I can't type in Microsoft word document i get this \\\\\ where every i try to type. The image below is when i try to open the start menu.[ATTACH]...
  6. Windows 10 1909 MUI broken search bar and start menu

in Cortana
    Windows 10 1909 MUI broken search bar and start menu: Hi folks, I installed Windows 10 1909 from scratch in english. After that I installed via dism.exe german language pack call dism.exe /norestart /online /add-package /packagepath:"c:\temp\Microsoft-Windows-Client-Language-Pack_x64_de-de.cab" and set the default display...
  7. Broken icons start menu search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken icons start menu search: [ATTACH] In the last 2 days I found this issue on my windows, not sure how many icons are affected but it looks really awful, it seem to be only on the search part of the start menu and to include most but not all the apps, what can I do to fix it? Thanks...
  8. No Search Bar in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Search Bar in Start Menu: Hello, My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot. Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list...
  9. Start Menu Search Bar

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Bar: Prior versions of windows allowed me to hit the handy-dandy start-menu button, type a document name in the search bar, and recent documents I pulled up with the search words would show up - the charm of that feature was that I could close a document or spreadsheet confident...
  10. Start Menu Search Bar

Start Menu Search Bar: [ATTACH] I messed up something and now when ever i type something in the start menu search bar, i see a preview pane like something (containing open,open file location,pin to start,pin to taskbar)beside the search results.I don't want my search bar like this, i want my...