Windows 10: Search Box and Cortana Keep Crashing quietly

Discus and support Search Box and Cortana Keep Crashing quietly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64. Search box on the taskbar does not work. Clicking on the Search box makes it change color, but it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AndreyT, Aug 5, 2015.

1. AndreyT Win User

Search Box and Cortana Keep Crashing quietly

This is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64.
    Search box on the taskbar does not work. Clicking on the Search box makes it change color, but it is not possible to type anything into the box.
    Opening Start Menu before clicking on the Search box sometimes helps. In 1 case out of 10 Search box suddenly starts working. But it only happens when Start Menu is open. When Start Menu is closed, Search box is unresponsive.
    Trying to click on the Search box in such cases generates a barrage of entries in Event Viewer:

• In Application log, lots of errors like this

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.10240.16401, time stamp: 0x55b1a665
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16397, time stamp: 0x55af16e7
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000483497
    Faulting process id: 0xbf4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0d004a4be9a50
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report Id: f7b162bc-bd59-4e47-af93-f7f1b462efc1
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

Event 5973, Apps
    Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

• In System Log, one error like this

Event 10010, Distributed COM

The server CortanaUI.AppXd4tad4d57t4wtdbnnmb8v2xtzym8c1n8.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

So, any ideas what could possibly be wrong here?

:)

AndreyT, Aug 5, 2015

2. Search Box and Cortana Keep Crashing

This is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64.

Search box on the taskbar does not work. Clicking on the Search box makes it change color, but it is not possible to type anything into the box.

Opening Start Menu before clicking on the Search box sometimes helps. In 1 case out of 10 Search box suddenly starts working. But it only happens when Start menu is open. When Start Menu is closed, Search box is unresponsive.

Trying to click on the Search box in such cases generates a barrage of entries in Event Viewer:

• In Application log, lots of errors like this

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.10240.16401, time stamp: 0x55b1a665

Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16397, time stamp: 0x55af16e7

Exception code: 0xc000027b

Fault offset: 0x0000000000483497

Faulting process id: 0xbf4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0d004a4be9a50

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll

Report Id: f7b162bc-bd59-4e47-af93-f7f1b462efc1

Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

Event 5973, Apps

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

• In System Log, one error like this

Event 10010, Distributed COM

The server CortanaUI.AppXd4tad4d57t4wtdbnnmb8v2xtzym8c1n8.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

So, what's wrong here? How do I restore normal Search & Cortana functionality?

Andrey_T04, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Search Box and Cortana Keep Crashing

Interesting. I found your post from another post about cortana not working. It crashes with the error "microsoft.windows.cortana_cw5n1h2tx... has stopped working" on startup and login of the user.

However I caused this problem. I am working on default profile creation in a domain environment. I am able to create and configure a default profile, but when i apply it to a new user, the search box and search in general no longer works.

I have the same event ID 5973 and 1000 errors that you were getting.

it could also be something in my windows 10 1151 image which i had syspreped. My theory is that something in the image (a registry setting) needs to be deleted so the system can start from scratch. However I have no idea where cortana settings are stored
    either on the file system or in the registry. I am going to keep hunting around for a solution because I have no choice basically. I need to get default profiles working for windows 10 if we want to deploy it.

An interesting thing is it seems to be user specific in my case. One user, cortana works fine, but if i make a new user and apply that same users profile to the new user (using Default User.v5) the new user has a broken cortana. So I think its either going
    to be some file in the default profile or a registry setting.

im gonna keep working on it. Win10 has so many damn bugs in the corporate environment... sucks.

sharepointisneedlesslycomplex, Aug 5, 2015
  4. jemsaal Win User

I made an account specifically to say I'm having the same problem. I also posted on the MS community forums, but haven't had a response.

jemsaal, Aug 7, 2015
  5. TomSparks Win User
    Same here - weird thing is that Cortana / Search works in a brand new local profile, but when I login to my domain account it doesn't. As a side note, my original domain profile did not survive the Win10 upgrade and I had to copy my old profile on top of it. So, I'm guessing there is something I accidentally over wrote or corrupted. I'm probably going to have to do some digging to find out what it was.

TomSparks, Aug 13, 2015
  6. Claymore Win User
    Tried every trick in the book, and I mean EVERY trick. Ended up doing a clean install to resolve.

Claymore, Aug 13, 2015
  7. andrew3 Win User
    I have a clean install of Windows 10 Enterprise on two identical laptops for use with a company and both laptops started experiencing this type of issue after being used for an hour or so. The start button won't come up, Edge open and quickly closes and the search box cannot be used. So far haven't found a solution.

andrew3, Sep 11, 2015
  8. rseiler Win User

Interestingly, Start may be apparently working just fine, yet you still can accrue these errors every time it's clicked. That's the case here. Reports accumulate here, but I don't think they yield any clues:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive

rseiler, Nov 8, 2015
  9. andrew3 Win User
    I ended up installing Windows 10 clean again and this time not applying any Group Policies to it. So far, it has been working fine. It seems some Group Policy was causing an issue.

andrew3, Dec 1, 2015
  10. AndreyT Win User
    My later installs of Windows 10 don't seem to exhibit this problem anymore.

However, a few days ago one of my clean installs of Windows 10 Pro x64 (version 1511) developed a problem with Photos app. Every time I tried to open Photos app, it would briefly flash its window and then close instantly. For each such attempt the Event Log would contain an entry, stating that a crash has occured in 'Windows.UI.Xaml.dll'. I just noticed that this is the same DLL module that crashed in this case as well.

Trying to fix the issue with Photos I ran the standard sequence of DISM calls, supplying it with install source. It reported that it fixed something. I rebooted the machine. Immediately after reboot Photos would still crash in exactly the same way. But about 5 minutes later Photos suddenly started to work properly. And it has been working fine ever since.

AndreyT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search Box and Cortana Keep Crashing quietly - Similar Threads - Search Box Cortana

2. my cortana and search box is not responding.

in Cortana
    my cortana and search box is not responding.: since the new updates downloaded and installed my Cortana and search box is not responding. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cortana-and-search-box-is-not-responding/0a5f0b39-4569-4816-a743-7f7df24d8634
  3. Why the search box and cortana is not working?

in Cortana
    Why the search box and cortana is not working?: The problem is occurred whenever I click on search box to write anything .It doesn't do any operation. And I click on cortana it shows the talk to cortana but it does not display anything to talk .This is the problem. I tried so many things but no one is not work. please help...
  4. Cortana search box disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cortana search box disappeared: I went for a factory reset and now cortana search box is missing from taskbar. How do I enable it again. Normal box is still there but the one with cortana logo is not present anymore....
  5. Cortana search box is missing

in Cortana
    Cortana search box is missing: [ATTACH] Cortana search box is missing in task bar. I need to open application via voice commands and this is only way I found it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-search-box-is-missing/f7b7f9ae-b296-4e2e-91e9-f3672db8ba47
  6. Cortana search box

in Cortana
    Cortana search box: Hello, I reinstall Windows and have a problem with Cortana. Before I can choose three functions to show Cortana on the taskbar: Hidden, Show Cortana button and Show Cortana search box. Now I can choose only Show Cortana button after clicking right mouse button on the taskbar....
  7. Search Box/Cortana not working

in Cortana
    Search Box/Cortana not working: Hi microsoft. My laptop's search box/cortana isn't working. It doesn't show any search results. I already tried troubleshooting the search and indexing only to no avail. Please help...
  8. Search box in Cortana inactive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search box in Cortana inactive: When I try to use the Cortana search box it tells me "I've lost access to your account please sign in" but the sign in the bar at the bottom is inactive. I cannot type in the search bar. This is new as I have been having problems of all the icons freezing requiring me to do...
  9. Cortana search box is now huge

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana search box is now huge: Why did my Cortana search box suddenly more than double in size? Can't screenshoot it but imagine it taking up more than half the screen. I did absolutely nothing to change it and see no setting to revert it back to its typical size. I am running 1803. Restarted computer with...
  10. Cortana / Search Box

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana / Search Box: The search box keeps popping open at random. I turned off Cortana but the search box keeps coming on. This is very annoying. If I want to do a search I'll open it myself. How can I stop the Cortana / Search box from popping itself on? 31998