Windows 10: Search box broken

Discus and support Search box broken in Cortana to solve the problem; After running mbr2gpt through the cmd in advanced options the search box broke completely. MBR2GPT ran completely fine - there were no errors, aside... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by A Steel Cup, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Search box broken

After running mbr2gpt through the cmd in advanced options the search box broke completely. MBR2GPT ran completely fine - there were no errors, aside from a file in WinRE that couldn't update I deactivated and reactivated WinRE which mbr2gpt instructed me to do. But, weirdly enough, although it went well the search bar doesn't work - I press the button and nothing happens.

I looked for fixes on this forum but any potential fix didn't resolve anything. I did the following, in order:

Ran DISM, it came back clear.

Ran SFC scannow, it came back clear.

I ran the reset windows search powershell file, it didn't fix anything.

I looked for searchui.exe in the task manager to shut it off so it can restart - the process isn't even running.

I looked for the "microsoft.windows.cortana[...]" in Windowsapps, the whole folder is missing.

What could I do next?

:)

A Steel Cup, Jul 27, 2020

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Search box

Hi,

To start troubleshooting your issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar.
    • Select Cortana.
    • Click Show search box.
    Let us know how it goes.

Eugene deV, Jul 27, 2020
  4. Search box broken

Search Box

Hi Aliya,

I would suggest you to run search and indexing troubleshooter
    and check. Please follow these steps:

• Right click on Start and select Control panel.
    • Find troubleshooting and click on it.
    • Click "View all" and then click "Search and Indexing".

Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.
    I hope this information helps.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Search box broken

1. Search box broken - Similar Threads - Search box broken

2. Search Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Broken: When ever I press windows key and type my app name to search nothing just happen and edge is highlighted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-broken/d038d244-82fc-4d85-9887-06a3d5c930eb
  3. Search Broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Broken: When ever I press windows key and type my app name to search nothing just happen and edge is highlighted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-broken/d038d244-82fc-4d85-9887-06a3d5c930eb
  4. Help! Search box broken!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! Search box broken!: I have been using Windows 11 since it released and I have only recently started to have this problem Starting October 13th, 2022I have tried to open my windows start menu and interact with it, only for it to close with no Error Message. I have also attempted to use the search...
  5. Help! Search box broken!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help! Search box broken!: I have been using Windows 11 since it released and I have only recently started to have this problem Starting October 13th, 2022I have tried to open my windows start menu and interact with it, only for it to close with no Error Message. I have also attempted to use the search...
  6. search box

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    search box: Search box at bottom of screen not working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box/222af729-a72c-4d66-b2d8-114ee4d73ea6
  7. search box in windows explorer broken

in Cortana
    search box in windows explorer broken: on my old windows 10 machine, i could click on search, and date modified, and a calendar would pop up and allow me to set a specific date range. on my brand new computer it does not work. i can only pick last week, last month, etc. i have no idea how to get the function...
  8. Search is broken

in Cortana
    Search is broken: My search no longer works making it difficult to open programs I don't have pinned. Before you link me to generic stuff, here's what I've tried already. Restarting Cortana and the windows search services, and rebooting Running the ResetWindowsSearchBox.psq script and...
  9. Search is Broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search is Broken: Windows Explorer's search function fails to find files, and the search bar is locked and frozen. The search bar refuses to take any text. I have had this problem on and off now for at least six months. I see someone else had the same problem but that thread is locked for new...
  10. Search broken?

in Windows 10 Support
    Search broken?: Some strangeness going on with my PC. I was having a problem with our HP printer, and kept getting an 'error state'. I could not remedy the problem, so I restored the system back to an earlier point yesterday. Now, I have noticed when in the Windows Settings, typing...