Windows 10: Search box font in File Explorer is extremely small

Discus and support Search box font in File Explorer is extremely small in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On my external monitor everything displays correctly except for the content of search box in File Explorer. The box, before I try to use it, displays... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LMSI, Aug 27, 2020.

1. LMSI Win User

Search box font in File Explorer is extremely small

On my external monitor everything displays correctly except for the content of search box in File Explorer. The box, before I try to use it, displays normally the search symbol and the grayed text "Search Quick access" are the same size as everything else. When I start typing in it, however, the font used is so tiny that I can't see it at all. Everything else displays correctly, including all Office search boxes and other applications.

On my laptop built-in monitor search box works correctly.

:)

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Aug 27, 2020
  3. JohnHeinz Win User
    Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Aug 27, 2020
  4. Search box font in File Explorer is extremely small

File Explorer search box

When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwritten as I type.

I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box.

To enter in the 'search' box, I must enter ONE character or hit the space bar and then wait about a second for the display to stabilize before I can enter the remaining characters into the 'search' box. This delay or overtyping problem seems to have started
    six or more months ago and I was hoping that future updates would correct this. I have not been able to locate any reference to this problem with numerous 'google' searches on the Internet. I suspect that it has something to do with the list of files that
    now appears below the 'search' box as I type in the characters. It should NOT require multiple keystrokes to start a search in File Explorer when set to automatically start in the 'search' box. Thank you!

Bill Gabbey, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Search box font in File Explorer is extremely small

1. Search box font in File Explorer is extremely small - Similar Threads - Search box font

2. Dialog box font sizes too small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dialog box font sizes too small: I just installed Windows 11. I've been able to adjust most of my font sizes. But, I'm having trouble with dialog boxes Device manager, etc. The font is too small. Can I adjust these font sizes? Thank you ahead....
  3. Dialog box font sizes too small

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dialog box font sizes too small: I just installed Windows 11. I've been able to adjust most of my font sizes. But, I'm having trouble with dialog boxes Device manager, etc. The font is too small. Can I adjust these font sizes? Thank you ahead....
  4. File Explorer search box not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search box not accessible: I've recently installed Windows 11, and I have an issue with the search function of the File Explorer: I can't put my cursor in the Search field if I launch the File Explorer through the default 'File Explorer' shortcut.I found the following workaround: I open the 'old'...
  5. File Explorer search box not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search box not accessible: I've recently installed Windows 11, and I have an issue with the search function of the File Explorer: I can't put my cursor in the Search field if I launch the File Explorer through the default 'File Explorer' shortcut.I found the following workaround: I open the 'old'...
  6. Bug in File Explorer's search box

in Windows 10 Support
    Bug in File Explorer's search box: I just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, wiping the SSD because it was crashing with BSODs and other errors; I was in the 20h2 build, now I'm in the stable 2004 (19041.508). In the new install, as always, I set the search in the File Explorer to "automatically type into...
  7. Bug in File Explorer's search box

in Cortana
    Bug in File Explorer's search box: I just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, wiping the SSD because it was crashing with BSODs and other errors; I was in the 20h2 build, now I'm in the stable 2004. In the new install, as always, I set the search in the File Explorer to "automatically type into the search...
  8. File Explorer search box

in Cortana
    File Explorer search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwritten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  9. File Explorer Search box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwitten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  10. File Explorer search box not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search box not working: Not able to enter text in either File Explorer or Windows Search boxes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-box-not-working/f0ea428d-fc71-482f-a3b8-7173fe2bae59