Windows 10: Search Box in Task Bar and File Explorer Not Recognizing Typing

Discus and support Search Box in Task Bar and File Explorer Not Recognizing Typing in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm using a Surface Pro 6 and have had this issue for awhile where I cannot type any text into the search box in the task bar nor in the quick search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mike_in_nyc, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Search Box in Task Bar and File Explorer Not Recognizing Typing

I'm using a Surface Pro 6 and have had this issue for awhile where I cannot type any text into the search box in the task bar nor in the quick search access of the Task Manager. The cursor doesn't seem to recognize the search boxes. I am running the latest version of Windows and have had this issue for several months. I'm hoping I can get some help here since I have done a lot of research online and everything I've tried doesn't fix the issue. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling Windows but that is my last resort. Thanks for your help.

submitted by /u/mike_in_nyc
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mike_in_nyc, Jul 21, 2020

2. Windows 10 1909 Can't type in search bar in Windows explorer

Having the same issue. None of the suggestions Ive been able to find fix it. Doesnt look like the two people who replied with suggestions actually read the problem. We can type in the search box on the task bar, but CANNOT type in the search box in Explorer.

legoman666, Jul 21, 2020
  3. File Explorer search box

When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwritten as I type.

I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box.

To enter in the 'search' box, I must enter ONE character or hit the space bar and then wait about a second for the display to stabilize before I can enter the remaining characters into the 'search' box. This delay or overtyping problem seems to have started
    six or more months ago and I was hoping that future updates would correct this. I have not been able to locate any reference to this problem with numerous 'google' searches on the Internet. I suspect that it has something to do with the list of files that
    now appears below the 'search' box as I type in the characters. It should NOT require multiple keystrokes to start a search in File Explorer when set to automatically start in the 'search' box. Thank you!

Bill Gabbey, Jul 21, 2020
  4. Search Box in Task Bar and File Explorer Not Recognizing Typing

File Explorer Search box

When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwitten as I type.

I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box.

To enter in the 'search' box, I must enter ONE character and then wait about a second for the display to stabilize before I can enter the remaining characters into the 'search' box. This delay or overtyping problem seems to have started six or more months
    ago and I was hoping that future updates would correct this. I have not been able to locate any reference to this problem with numerous 'google' searches on the Internet. I suspect that it has something to do with the list of files that now appears below
    the 'search' box as I type in the characters. Thank you!

Bill Gabbey, Jul 21, 2020
Thema:

Search Box in Task Bar and File Explorer Not Recognizing Typing

1. Search Box in Task Bar and File Explorer Not Recognizing Typing - Similar Threads - Search Box Task

2. Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes

in Cortana
    Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes: Hi,On Windows 10 21H2 - current 4/25/2022History1 sticky notes not running usually leave open so probably auto rebooted and didn't restart? 2 started sticky notes - notes opened but can't type in them. I can type in Notes and in Browser Windows.3 Reset Sticky Notes through...
  3. Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes: Hi,On Windows 10 21H2 - current 4/25/2022History1 sticky notes not running usually leave open so probably auto rebooted and didn't restart? 2 started sticky notes - notes opened but can't type in them. I can type in Notes and in Browser Windows.3 Reset Sticky Notes through...
  4. Problems with typing in Task Bar Search Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problems with typing in Task Bar Seqrch Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes

in Cortana
    Problems with typing in Task Bar Seqrch Box and Windows Explorer Search Box and in Sticky Notes: Hi,On Windows 10 21H2 - current 4/25/2022History1 sticky notes not running usually leave open some probably auto rebooted and didn't restart? 2 started sticky notes - notes opened but can't type in them. I can type in Notes and in Browser Windows.3 Reset Sticky Notes through...
  6. File Explorer and Task Bar Search Not Working

in Cortana
    File Explorer and Task Bar Search Not Working: Hi, Recently I cannot search for files in the File Explorer search box and the Taskbar search option does not work. I have tried all these Under Task Manager, re-start File Explorer Under Task Manager - Details, cannot find Under File Explorer - View - Options -...
  7. Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer

in Cortana
    Can't type anything on task search bar and file explorer: Earlier today while organizing my files all of a sudden when I tried to search that type of file instead of usually typing up the words I need to get a group of the same file, it would highlight the first letter down on my current folder. For example Jack, James, Jermy, etc....
  8. File explorer and Task bar search windows

in Cortana
    File explorer and Task bar search windows: Why can't I type into the file explorer and the task bar search windows? There is no cursor when trying to click in either window. It is some what recent, worked several week ago pretty sure. I was working with using the file search function out of a 3rd party manual. Glen...
  9. File Explorer can't type Search box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer can't type Search box: I cannot enter data in the File Explorer Search Box. This problem is annoying and reoccurring. I have "fixed" it several times but it keeps coming back. I can see online that many people have the same problem. It started about a month ago. Windows 10 When will this be...
  10. search box on task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    search box on task bar: i have no search box on my taskbar and no "show hidden taskbar button" when i right click on the taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-on-task-bar/25f599a6-b4b1-4f2c-b981-a63516008d53