Windows 10: Search box keeps popping up when I open the Start menu.

Discus and support Search box keeps popping up when I open the Start menu. in Cortana to solve the problem; Just like the title says, the search box keeps popping up on top of the Start menu when I click the Start button or tap the Windows key. This is most... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by LeahG xx, Mar 28, 2019.

1. LeahG xx Win User

Search box keeps popping up when I open the Start menu.

Just like the title says, the search box keeps popping up on top of the Start menu when I click the Start button or tap the Windows key. This is most likely to happen when the Start menu has refreshed itself (like after Windows startup or after closing a game). I've tried different keyboards and mice but they made no difference. And before anyone asks, I'm not using a touchpad.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

Leah

:)

LeahG xx, Mar 28, 2019

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Mar 28, 2019
  3. Cliff S Win User
    No search box

You don't need Cortana on, to use Windows Search, it's just called Cortana. I personally like to keep the box out of the way, you just need to open up the Start Menu and start typing and then it'll pop up, without it always using space up on the taskbar.

Cliff S, Mar 28, 2019
  4. AndreyT Win User

Search Box and Cortana Keep Crashing quietly

This is a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64.
    Search box on the taskbar does not work. Clicking on the Search box makes it change color, but it is not possible to type anything into the box.
    Opening Start Menu before clicking on the Search box sometimes helps. In 1 case out of 10 Search box suddenly starts working. But it only happens when Start Menu is open. When Start Menu is closed, Search box is unresponsive.
    Trying to click on the Search box in such cases generates a barrage of entries in Event Viewer:

• In Application log, lots of errors like this

Event 1000, Application Error

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.10240.16401, time stamp: 0x55b1a665
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16397, time stamp: 0x55af16e7
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000483497
    Faulting process id: 0xbf4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0d004a4be9a50
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
    Report Id: f7b162bc-bd59-4e47-af93-f7f1b462efc1
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

Event 5973, Apps
    Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

• In System Log, one error like this

Event 10010, Distributed COM

The server CortanaUI.AppXd4tad4d57t4wtdbnnmb8v2xtzym8c1n8.mca did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

So, any ideas what could possibly be wrong here?

AndreyT, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

1. Search box keeps popping up when I open the Start menu. - Similar Threads - Search box keeps

2. Start up menu & search box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start up menu & search box in Windows 10: HiI cant access the Windows start up menu from my desktop bottom left hand side and the search function won't work either when I type into it. Can anyone help please...
  3. The search menu and calendar keep popping up randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The search menu and calendar keep popping up randomly: While I'm not even touching my laptop, the Windows search menu and calendar keep popping up randomly and it's very annoying. My cursor also acts weirdly sometimes but I'm not sure if that's related. Every malware check I've done comes up with nothing so I don't know what the...
  4. The search menu and calendar keep popping up randomly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The search menu and calendar keep popping up randomly: While I'm not even touching my laptop, the Windows search menu and calendar keep popping up randomly and it's very annoying. My cursor also acts weirdly sometimes but I'm not sure if that's related. Every malware check I've done comes up with nothing so I don't know what the...
  5. search term box pop up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search term box pop up: there is an annoying small black rectangular box on my screen in microsoft edge. Popups are blocked in edge permissions so thats not the solution. Support tried to fix it and locked me out of the pc all together!! I had to reset the whole pc just to get back in. Then support...
  6. Start menu keeps popping up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu keeps popping up: Past 4 days my start menu keeps popping up on my screen and closes by itself every second. I have tried every solution I have found online, I am using a regular pc with a mouse and keyboard, no touch pad. I have unplugged my keyboard just to watch it keep happening, reset my...
  7. Emergency! My search box keeps popping up when I click on the start menu of windows key.

in Cortana
    Emergency! My search box keeps popping up when I click on the start menu of windows key.: I have an Hp laptop, Version 2004. I messed around with the registry, then this happened. I had a registry backup, but it just did not work. So when i open my start menu, my search bar pops up. Please help. I really am tensed. And don't tell something very difficult please....
  8. When I click the start menu, this pops up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I click the start menu, this pops up: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/teamclark07 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gzc5o3/when_i_click_the_start_menu_this_pops_up/
  9. Pop up menu keeps popping up!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pop up menu keeps popping up!: [ATTACH] Help! What the heck is this pop up menu on the left? It keeps popping up randomly and I cannot work out how to stop it. Have I enabled something so that key presses trigger it - or what? I just don’t know....
  10. Start Menu not Opening/Popping Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not Opening/Popping Up: I have a Windows 10 computer with a new profile and the start menu will not open. It works fine on other profiles, but on new profiles, the start menu does not work. I tried downloading the repair tool, but it gives me, 0x80070005 Restricted. The domain account is set as an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search box keeps popping up

2. Surface start menu keep popping up

3. windows search bar keeps popping