Windows 10: Search box locked throughout Windows

Discus and support Search box locked throughout Windows in Cortana to solve the problem; This concerns the following system: Dell Precision T1700 Xeon E3-1220 3.10 GHz 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.535 installed on... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by JohnHakim, Dec 30, 2019.

1. JohnHakim Win User

Search box locked throughout Windows

This concerns the following system:

Dell Precision T1700 Xeon E3-1220 3.10 GHz 32 GB RAM

Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.535 installed on 12/22/2019

The problem is that the search box is not accepting typed input in various places in the Windows 10 Pro OS: e.g. on the left of the taskbar, throughout Settings. Textboxes in other apps work properly. E.g. Notepad works. Filename field in Save As dialog box accepts typed input everywhere. It's just that the Windows search boxes do not accept input.

Tried the following:

sfc found no errors

dism restore completed successfully

search and indexing troubleshooter found no errors

chkdsk /F found and fixed one error successfully

Ending the Cortana task in the Task Manager had no effect

Got a "blue screen" SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION just prior to this problem appearing, which I photographed with my smartphone. Another side-effect was that the Windows Audio service would not start because of an access denied error, so sound currently on the PC. Added permissions to the registry key for the service. Changed the service login account from Local Service to Local System. That allowed the audio service to start but it didn't fix the problem.

In other respects, Windows is working properly. What can I do to fix these problems?

:)

JohnHakim, Dec 30, 2019

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Dec 30, 2019
  3. JohnHeinz Win User
    Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Dec 30, 2019
  4. Search box locked throughout Windows

Search box

Hi,

To start troubleshooting your issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar.
    • Select Cortana.
    • Click Show search box.
    Let us know how it goes.

Eugene deV, Dec 30, 2019
Thema:

Search box locked throughout Windows

1. Search box locked throughout Windows - Similar Threads - Search box locked

2. Not able to search in any search bar throughout Windows 10

in Cortana
    Not able to search in any search bar throughout Windows 10: I'm not able to type anything or search through any search bar present in any windows application. Be it Cortana, File Explorer, Search settings, or even in the Start menu. I've tried out many different ways for this problem. This has already happened to me and I had to reset...
  3. Windows Search Box

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Box: I'm really not digging this new windows search box. Is there anyway to get the old box back? The one that actually finds something and starts searching as you type? As you can see, mines is buried off the screen and you can hardly see it. It wasn't like that with the old...
  4. Windows search box

in Cortana
    Windows search box: Since installing the latest version of Windows 10 home, the search feature in Windows to access the PC and to search the App store, has stopped working. It does not matter what way I try to search within Windows, nothing works. Everything was fine until the latest version...
  5. windows search box

in Cortana
    windows search box: When I click in the search box (even before starting to type) a black search window opens covering most of my screen. How do I get rid of this please? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-box/8fb4210d-32d8-4332-9b76-8c385d38211e"
  6. Windows search box

in Cortana
    Windows search box: [ATTACH] You can see in the screenshot above of my Windows 10 search box a search tool called "Quick searches" with four choices. I don't know how or why this appeared one day in my search box. I don't want it or need it, but can't remove it. I've tried everything I can...
  7. How to enable the Search Box on Windows 10 Lock screen

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable the Search Box on Windows 10 Lock screen: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Search Bar on the Taskbar is one of the most useful components of Windows 10. One can use it to search for files and folders on the computer or the connected OneDrive cloud account. Along with that, searches on [...] This post How to enable the Search...
  8. search box locked up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    search box locked up: completed windows update and now search box is locked up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-locked-up/668a76a7-1c8e-41d9-97c5-568a863446d6
  9. Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable Search Box on Lock Screen in Windows 10 The lock your PC[/b] (or when it locks automatically after you haven't been using it for a while). The lock screen will also show at startup, and when you are...
  10. Dialogue box text throughout the system is blacked out.

in Windows 10 Support
    Dialogue box text throughout the system is blacked out.: [img] Every 24 hours or so I am having to do a System Restore to a point last month because of this. Suddenly, all system text boxes are blacked out like this. I've tried everything I can think of (not easy to check for driver updates when you can't read the boxes!). Can...