Windows 10: search box opens by itself and freezes - I can't close it unless I turn the laptop off and...

Discus and support search box opens by itself and freezes - I can't close it unless I turn the laptop off and... in Cortana to solve the problem; From time to time the search box 'window' opens big box above the search box by itself. I can type into the search bar, but I cannot close this big... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by RichW4, May 28, 2020.

1. RichW4 Win User

search box opens by itself and freezes - I can't close it unless I turn the laptop off and...

From time to time the search box 'window' opens big box above the search box by itself. I can type into the search bar, but I cannot close this big box which covers most of the screen. Pressing Esc makes no difference - its just frozen. It makes the pc unusable - all I can do is turn it off using the power button.

Any ideas as to how I can stop this happening?

many thanks

Richard

:)

RichW4, May 28, 2020

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, May 28, 2020
  3. JohnHeinz Win User
    Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, May 28, 2020
  4. search box opens by itself and freezes - I can't close it unless I turn the laptop off and...

Search box opens by itself on browser on windows 10

Hello, ShirishShringare,

Are you meaning that once you type in Search box on IE 11, you see Search Suggestions appear?

Do you see the option to Turn Off Search Suggestions at the bottom of the list?

Click on that link.

To turn off Inline Auto Complete follow the steps found
    here

What is the behavior you expect when pressing

Shift + C

Shift + D

Shift + E

IE 11 Keyboard Shortcuts

Smittychat., May 28, 2020
Thema:

search box opens by itself and freezes - I can't close it unless I turn the laptop off and...

1. search box opens by itself and freezes - I can't close it unless I turn the laptop off and... - Similar Threads - search box opens

2. My laptop turns off by itself.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns off by itself.: Hi all, something is wrong with my laptop, when I open it and doing some stuff, it turns off by itself. What caused this issue and how do I fix it? My laptop is HP Elitebook 8540pMy RAM is 4.00GB 3.86 usableMy processor is Intel Core i5 CPU, M 520 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHzThe...
  3. My laptop turns off by itself.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop turns off by itself.: Hi all, something is wrong with my laptop, when I open it and doing some stuff, it turns off by itself. What caused this issue and how do I fix it? My laptop is HP Elitebook 8540pMy RAM is 4.00GB 3.86 usableMy processor is Intel Core i5 CPU, M 520 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHzThe...
  4. Laptop wont turn off when I close the lid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop wont turn off when I close the lid: Okay so, my computer needs a new battery and in order to see what type of battery we needed, we took the bottom off and looked to see what the battery was. We put the back back on noticing that there were a couple of screws missing but it still stays on. But the only issue...
  5. computer on all the time unless I turn it off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer on all the time unless I turn it off: I want to keep my computer on all the time unless I turn it off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-on-all-the-time-unless-i-turn-it-off/cf21f96e-a23a-4039-89c9-52514dbb423f
  6. i try to turn on gamebar but when i close out of settings it turns itself off again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i try to turn on gamebar but when i close out of settings it turns itself off again: read ^ please help me solve this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-try-to-turn-on-gamebar-but-when-i-close-out-of/4ea80838-209a-4228-999b-7696958207c4
  7. Windows search box just opens on its own and freezes. Nothing I do will close it except...

in Cortana
    Windows search box just opens on its own and freezes. Nothing I do will close it except...: As above The search box opens by itself and just won't close. My only option is to reboot. I have spent an hour with microsoft adjusting indexing options, however that seems to have only worked for three weeks as now the problem is back....
  8. Laptop freezes on/switches itself off?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop freezes on/switches itself off?: [ATTACH] Formerly about once a month, today it happened to me 3 times! Sometimes it freezes completely and has to be switched off by pressing the power button for a long time, or it suddenly turns off out of nowhere. What's interesting is that just before switching off,...
  9. Sound turns off when I close the laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound turns off when I close the laptop: Hi, My HP ProBook Windows 10 laptop stops playing music from the Windows Media Player when I close the lid. I have gone into the control panel and clicked do nothing when both unplugged and charging. The music continues playing when the laptop lid closes when it is is...
  10. Laptop Turning itself "off"

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Turning itself "off": I am running Win 10 on a laptop. I have changed all the power settings to "NEVER" for everything. The laptop is on AC (not battery). No power outages. But when I come back after being away from the laptop for an hour or so. It is in sleep mode (I think) - I have to turn...