Windows 10: Search button/bar/file explorer not working

Discus and support Search button/bar/file explorer not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I can't click any of the search buttons at all (they don't do anything). I have rebuilt the index, reset apps to default and restarted computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AeonCaptain, May 28, 2020.

1. Search button/bar/file explorer not working

I can't click any of the search buttons at all (they don't do anything). I have rebuilt the index, reset apps to default and restarted computer multiple times. I'm on insider build 19041.264 (version 2004).

submitted by /u/AeonCaptain
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AeonCaptain, May 28, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, May 28, 2020
  3. file explorer crashes

Effective Way to Solve the File Explorer Crashes Issue

You can try the following steps:

1. Tap down the Windows button first to activate the search bar.
    2. After that, in the search bar type control, and then click on the top-most search result, that is on Control Panel.
    3. Next, in the search bar type file.
    4. Now, from the search results click on File Explorer Options.
    5. Then, click on the Clean button.
    6. Lastly, click on Apply and then on OK.

References: https://www.****/knowledge/solved-windows-10-file-explorer-crash-easy-way/

JuanSmith2, May 28, 2020
  4. Search button/bar/file explorer not working

Search Function on File Explorer is not Working

Hi,

In response to your questions:

1. Did you make any changes to your PC prior to this issue?

Not that I am aware of.

2. Can you type in the search bar when you do not click on the Start button?

The search button on the task bar works - it is the search box on file explorer that is not functioning

Search button/bar/file explorer not working c2c1fe5f-5306-4cb2-9dc7-b2a07fe3713b.png

3. What troubleshooting steps have to tried to fix the issue?

Confirmed file explorer options are set to default

Indexing Options - the only exclusion is against OS(CSearch button/bar/file explorer not working :) and that is Data; AppData; AppData

4. Does the issue occur when you are performing or running certain specific in the background?

The issue occurs even when only 1 File Explorer Window is open and task manager is not showing other programs running.

Re Method One - the search box in the control panel does not work. I opened via viewing as icons

and used both the default Files don't appear in search results and Search Function on File Explorer is not working as both a user and an administrator which led to explore additonal information which led to this website.

Re Method Two - response was

• Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Updates show the device is up to date.

Previously, as I typed into the search box, it would start searching at the first keystroke and now nothing.

Any more help will be appreciated.

Dragonfly171, May 28, 2020
Thema:

Search button/bar/file explorer not working

1. Search button/bar/file explorer not working - Similar Threads - Search button bar

2. Windows 11 file explorer search bar not working!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file explorer search bar not working!: Hello Microsoft,I have complaints to state regards to windows 11.I recently upgraded from windows 10 to 11, while working with it, I found out that it always lags and slows down the pc mostly when three to four programs are on the run and it takes time to open up programs...
  3. Search Bar and Explorer not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar and Explorer not working: Two days ago I was navigating through my files then out of nowhere the Explorer crashed, I tried to open it again only for it to crash seconds after opening the folder again. While trying to fix the problem I also discovered that my Search Bar closed before I was able to type...
  4. Start Button and Search bar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Button and Search bar not working: Hi All, I have tried googling the above issues and took several steps to solve this to no avail. below are the steps which I took: 1 SFC scan - told me not issues. 2 Clean boot 3 Get-AppXPackage- Error: The database disk image is malformed 4 Start application...
  5. windows 10 search bar not working or search in file explorer

in Cortana
    windows 10 search bar not working or search in file explorer: windows 10 search bar not working or search in file explorer did sfc dism https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-bar-not-working-or-search-in/7439bec3-97fa-4e3d-b4fd-946e6db94014
  6. start button and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start button and search bar not working: dear sir respectfully i beg to say that after purchase of laptop i face many problem in window 10 i install program and after installation window not working properly. program running after installing and after restart program not work. 8 days working i want to solution...
  7. File Explorer and Task Bar Search Not Working

in Cortana
    File Explorer and Task Bar Search Not Working: Hi, Recently I cannot search for files in the File Explorer search box and the Taskbar search option does not work. I have tried all these Under Task Manager, re-start File Explorer Under Task Manager - Details, cannot find Under File Explorer - View - Options -...
  8. File explorer - Search button

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer - Search button: In file explorer i cannot use the search button when I press the left side of my mouse it freezes the whole program. I have got it too work sometimes but not always. I think it may have something to do with Windows Update. I've tried everything to fix it. Can someone...
  9. windows explorer search bars/buttons not working...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows explorer search bars/buttons not working...: I have a really strange issue which affects all windows explorer processes like the buttons in the start menu and the search bars in the file explorer. Whenever i try and click on an element like a button or search bar, or try to type something into a windows search bar, it...
  10. File Explorer search bar not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search bar not working: I've noticed this issue yesterday. When I try to search something in my File Explorer it looks like it's searching but the green bar seems to go on forever. I left it up for an hour and it was still searching when I came back. I even tried to look for files that I knew were...