Windows 10: search by date

Discus and support search by date in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; struggling with win 10's hiding my work; need to find a document made on a certain day. why is this so hard? do i want the program excel? do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gustaveflaubert1, Feb 11, 2020.

1. search by date

struggling with win 10's hiding my work; need to find a document made on a certain day. why is this so hard?

do i want the program excel? do I want "file explorer?" what is this SEARCH on the "file explorer" screen? clicking there gets me a list of individual words some of them misspelled that i must have searched for before, but why would i want to keep that? some documents don't HAVE key words, forpetesake -- I want the document I finished last friday: please tell me how to find it, and then please explain the reasoning that will allow me not to have to stop and hunt for "help" every time i want to do something simple in win 10? what IS the theory? what is the design? are documents stored by date? by extension? what's the larges possible area to search? if i have all "my documents" divided into folders depending on topic, can i search within a topic? or is that just something i made up to give myself a false sense of control? DO I HAVE TO SEARCH THE ENTIRE WEB, even though I know I'm looking for one discrete doc of my own creation? Who is cortana? do i have to serve cortana?

and what is with the "apps?" do I NEED "pictures?" or could I just save the photos from my camera in one place and then find them there again? If I want to print a screenshot, why do i have to employ an "app," SAVE the screenshot and give it a name, and then open another program to search for the screenshot and pull up a menu that includes the option to print? I mean, thanks for the bells and whistles, but I don't want them to RING AND BLOW AT ME constantly and so intrusively that I can't get my work done.

please do not patronize: i have multiple graduate degrees and am quite capable in the real world -- it's just the non-logic of win 10 that has me frustrated.

:)

gustaveflaubert1, Feb 11, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 11, 2020
  4. search by date

Outlook Out of date Settings

Hello Christine,

As the above description is not clear provide additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• Are you referring to Office Outlook (Mail client version)/ Mail app/ Windows Live Mail?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • What is the exact issues you are facing?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue?

If you are referring to Windows Mail app, let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if there are any updates for Mail app in Windows Store. If found try to update the app.

Step 2: I suggest you to run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Refer: Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 3: I suggest you to check with the system Date, time and Time zone
    is set correct.

Follow the steps to set the date and time:

• Type Date and Time in the search bar.
    • Click Change date and time button.
    • Click Apply and Ok to save the date and time.
    Note: Click on the Time Zone tab to check the Time Zone.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with the required information for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

search by date

1. search by date - Similar Threads - search date

2. What is the correct syntax to search a date range for all Windows 11 updates in the MS...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the correct syntax to search a date range for all Windows 11 updates in the MS...: What is the correct syntax to search a date range for all Windows 11 updates in the MS update catalog search window. I cannot find anywhere with the wildcards?I am trying to update an offline Windows 11 computer that has not been update since 8/2023 so i need 8/23 - 2/24...
  3. What is the correct syntax to search a date range for all Windows 11 updates in the MS...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the correct syntax to search a date range for all Windows 11 updates in the MS...: What is the correct syntax to search a date range for all Windows 11 updates in the MS update catalog search window. I cannot find anywhere with the wildcards?I am trying to update an offline Windows 11 computer that has not been update since 8/2023 so i need 8/23 - 2/24...
  4. searching file by date it was saved or type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    searching file by date it was saved or type: I need to find a file which was recorded and saved in Windows Player format. Issue is that I replaced it from videos folder in my File explorer to a place unknown to me. The only thing I know is that it was saved 30.11.23 date. Please help me! This information is critically...
  5. searching file by date it was saved or type

searching file by date it was saved or type: I need to find a file which was recorded and saved in Windows Player format. Issue is that I replaced it from videos folder in my File explorer to a place unknown to me. The only thing I know is that it was saved 30.11.23 date. Please help me! This information is critically...
  6. searching file by date it was saved or type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. How do I search files in Windows 10 with a specific date range

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I search files in Windows 10 with a specific date range: Since MS decides to just LOCK the original question/complaint, without ACTUALLY REPAIRING THE STUFF THEY BROKE...When will this be fixed back to the reasonable way, which does require memorizing stupid text commands and a PhD to simply find a file of a date or date range?Down...
  8. How do I search files in Windows 10 with a specific date range

How do I search files in Windows 10 with a specific date range: Since MS decides to just LOCK the original question/complaint, without ACTUALLY REPAIRING THE STUFF THEY BROKE...When will this be fixed back to the reasonable way, which does require memorizing stupid text commands and a PhD to simply find a file of a date or date range?Down...
  9. How do I search files in Windows 10 with a specific date range

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. How do I search files from a given date in Windows 11?

How do I search files from a given date in Windows 11?: How do I in Windows 11 search files which are changed after a given date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-search-files-from-a-given-date-in-windows/7be71e30-6033-4361-8cdb-838354dea747