Windows 10: Search does not display any results

Discus and support Search does not display any results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The title says everything. I rebuilt the index, moved it to another disk, rebuilt again without any result: no results in the search window. Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by academica, Sep 30, 2015.

1. academica Win User

Search does not display any results

The title says everything. I rebuilt the index, moved it to another disk, rebuilt again without any result: no results in the search window.
    Cortana is off and web searching is off. Even if web searching is on, there are no search results in the window.
    This has never happened in any other Windows version since Windows 3.1 for Workgroups!

:)

academica, Sep 30, 2015

2. Search does not yield any results

The title says everything. Searching in the filed called "Search Windows" does not give any files. Nothing! Blank window. I rebuilt the index, moved it to another disk, rebuilt again without any result.

Cortana is off and web searching is off. Even if web searching is on, there are no search results in the window.

I ran Windows search and indexing troubleshooter. It started indexing service.

Indexing complete.

Included locations:

Start menu

Users - AppData; AppData

*.* in the search window does not yield anything.

Below is the troubleshooter report:

--------------------------------------------

Potential issues that were checked

Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories - issue not present

Search Filter Host process failed - issue not present

Windows Search service shut down - Issue not present

Windows Search service not - Issue not present

Windows Search service - Issue not present

Search Protocol Host process - Issue not present

Publisher details

Search and Indexing

Find and fix problems with Windows Search.

Package Version: 1.0

Publisher: Microsoft Windows

Search and Indexing

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

StephenPen, Sep 30, 2015
  3. Search does not yield any results

Hi Stephen,

Good to know that the issue is resolved by doing System Restore.

Did you try to run Search and Indexing troubleshooter?

Let us know if you are still facing the issue and we'll be glad to help.

Rohit Siddegowda, Sep 30, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

After starting the index rebuild, did you give it time to actually do a rebuild?
    Does searching for *.* yield anything?

Kanata, Sep 30, 2015
  5. academica Win User
    Thank you for your reply.
    I ran Windows search and indexing troubleshooter. It started indexing service.
    Indexing complete.
    Included locations:
    Start menu
    Users - AppData; AppData

*.* does not yield anything.

Below is the troubleshooter report:
    --------------------------------------------
    Potential issues that were checked
    Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories - issue not present
    Search Filter Host process failed - issue not present
    Windows Search service not - Issue not present
    Windows Search service - Issue not present
    Search Protocol Host process - Issue not present

Publisher details
    Search and Indexing
    Publisher: Microsoft Windows
    Search and Indexing
    Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

academica, Sep 30, 2015
  6. Kanata Win User
    Make sure Windows Search is running. Check services and also check turn Windows features on and off.

Kanata, Sep 30, 2015
  7. academica Win User
    Alt-Ctrl-Del -> Task Manager -> Services -> WSearch Running
    In "turn Windows features on and off" could not see anything related to Searching.

academica, Sep 30, 2015
  8. academica Win User

I managed to start Search by System restore. Now it works for me, but I found there are thousands of users who complain of the same issue all over the world. I am a Windows user since 1993 with Windows 3.11 for workgroups and searching has never been a problem so far.

academica, Sep 30, 2015
  9. academica Win User
    And yet another search problem: search does not always show local stuff. It does display all program files, but does not show windows settings and features, e.g. typing 'sign-in' displays only web links and not Windows sing-in options; 'update' does not show 'Windows update' and other instances of the 'update' string on the computer. Actually unlike all previous versions (XP, 7 and 8.1) Search never displays any options from 'Settings', which makes computer management a tedious task.

academica, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search does not display any results - Similar Threads - Search does display

2. Windows 10 Search Displaying Broken Results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Search Displaying Broken Results: Certain programs on seem to have broken search results. There are many examples on my PC but I will use GIMP to explain the issue. As seen below the ""best match"" provides me with a broken result. I cannot open this item, Right click this item, or interact with it in any...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer Search function does not display any results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Search function does not display any results: I am using a Windows 11 Pro OS on a new Dell XPS 13 laptop. The Windows 11 Search function in File Explorer does not work. I enter a search term and it ALWAYS returns a 'no file found' response. I can literally cut and paste a file that is visible in the folder and enter that...
  4. Windows 11 File Explorer Search function does not display any results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer Search function does not display any results: I am using a Windows 11 Pro OS on a new Dell XPS 13 laptop. The Windows 11 Search function in File Explorer does not work. I enter a search term and it ALWAYS returns a 'no file found' response. I can literally cut and paste a file that is visible in the folder and enter that...
  5. Windows 10 search bar doesen't display any results

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 search bar doesen't display any results: This problem litterally came out of nowhere It just started happening like 10 minutes before this post was created, I didn't do anything, nothing was wrong, this was randomly happened I tried to diagnose it with the troubleshooter, nothing worked. [ATTACH] Does anyone...
  6. Searching more than one word in content does not display search results

in Cortana
    Searching more than one word in content does not display search results: Hi all, When searching for file names, results are displayed immediately. Performing a content search with one word only also works as expected. If I type two or more words which are containing in my files there are no results. My files are indexed and for both .doc and...
  7. Microsoft Store Search displaying incorrect results

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store Search displaying incorrect results: Hello All, When I search for an app in the Microsoft Store, incorrect results are displayed. For example, from the Home tab if I search for iTunes, the results displayed are only for Books and Movies, even though the Type dropdown shows "All Types". Opening the Store app...
  8. No thumbnails displayed in Photos section of search results.

in Windows 10 Support
    No thumbnails displayed in Photos section of search results.: I got the free Windows 10 upgrade yesterday and everything seemed to work really well until I tried using the Search Bar. The problem is that although search results are returned (The indexing seems to be correct) the images displayed under the Photos section are mostly...
  9. Search not showing any results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not showing any results: Windows search is not showing any results. It keeps searching... 21347
  10. Search does not display any settings such as Windows Update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Search does not display any settings such as Windows Update.: When searching for settings from either the control panel or the settings app, nothing appears. See attached image. [img] 15174