Windows 10: Search does not display any settings such as Windows Update.

Discus and support Search does not display any settings such as Windows Update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When searching for settings from either the control panel or the settings app, nothing appears. See attached image. [img] 15174 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by appss, Aug 10, 2015.

1. appss Win User

Search does not display any settings such as Windows Update.

When searching for settings from either the control panel or the settings app, nothing appears. See attached image.
    Search does not display any settings such as Windows Update. [​IMG]

:)

appss, Aug 10, 2015

2. Search does not yield any results

I solved this problem by System Restore. Now Search works, but does not always show local stuff. It
    does display all program files, but does not show windows settings and features, e.g. typing 'sign-in' displays only web links and not Windows sing-in options; 'update' does not show 'Windows update' and other instances of the 'update'
    string on the computer. Actually unlike all previous versions (XP, 7 and 8.1) Search never displays any options from 'Settings', which makes computer management a tedious task.

StephenPen, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Search not returning majority of apps such as "calc"

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and update.

You may run the SFC scannow tool if the issue persists. SFC /scannow is a super-useful command you can use in any Windows version. When the SFC (System File Checker) command is used with the /scannow switch, the tool will scan all of the important
    Windows files on your computer and replace them as necessary. Missing and corrupt operating system files (like many DLL files) are arguably the biggest cause of major Windows issues.

Refer to these steps to perform a SFC scan:

a) Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated command prompt.

b) In the command prompt type the following command: sfc
    /scannow
    and press enter.

c) After the scan, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 10, 2015
  4. jkteddy77 Win User

I too suffer the same fate.
    Here is a thread I've been a part of for the last 2 weeks.
    error - Windows/Cortana Search - Windows 10 Forums
    The best solutions are in the last few pages, I made one as well.

I have got the control panel back, but I still can't get the newer Windows Settings locations to search.
    We need better solutions and answers from microsoft

jkteddy77, Aug 11, 2015
  5. XweAponX Win User
    Try turning on Cortana, it'll show what's on the PC first, then web.

XweAponX, Aug 11, 2015
  6. jlovelady Win User
    +1 And if I try to search from the settings app, I get nothing, but from control panel, lots of useful stuff. It used to be that results both those locations were included in the start bar immediately.

I will say creating another account does seem to fix the issue.

jlovelady, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search does not display any settings such as Windows Update. - Similar Threads - Search does display

2. Monitor Color profile does not display in display settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Color profile does not display in display settings: i can not get colour profiles to show within the display settings. They were doing so until recently, does anyone know why they have gone or how i can fix that?in display settings when im on sdr it used to show the color profile, without having to open color management, then...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer Search function does not display any results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Search function does not display any results: I am using a Windows 11 Pro OS on a new Dell XPS 13 laptop. The Windows 11 Search function in File Explorer does not work. I enter a search term and it ALWAYS returns a 'no file found' response. I can literally cut and paste a file that is visible in the folder and enter that...
  4. Windows 11 File Explorer Search function does not display any results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer Search function does not display any results: I am using a Windows 11 Pro OS on a new Dell XPS 13 laptop. The Windows 11 Search function in File Explorer does not work. I enter a search term and it ALWAYS returns a 'no file found' response. I can literally cut and paste a file that is visible in the folder and enter that...
  5. Windows 10 Search Does Not Find Any Settings or Control Panel Items

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Does Not Find Any Settings or Control Panel Items: This issue is an old issue, but all the older threads are locked, so I created a new one to share what worked for me. In my administrator account, I created a new Windows 10 user. You have the option of creating a local user so it doesn't require a Microsoft email address....
  6. no information is displayed when any settings section is browsed, system is slow, search...

in Windows 10 Customization
    no information is displayed when any settings section is browsed, system is slow, search...: no information is displayed when any settings section is browsed, system is slow, search bar didnt work tried sfc /scannow - no issues found [ATTACH]...
  7. Search in Settings App does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search in Settings App does not work: When I type something in the search box in the settings app, such as cmd, nothing returns and it states that it cannot find anything. This has never happened to me before and I have tried everything except reinstall which I'm not going to do anytime soon. Reinstall is too...
  8. searching Windows settings does not work

in Cortana
    searching Windows settings does not work: I used to be able to search and find bluetooth or other settings from the search bar or within Windows settings. Now searching for bluetooth or mouse results in a 'no results' message. When searching from the search bar Cortana? I've tried using the settings filter with...
  9. Search does not display any results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search does not display any results: The title says everything. I rebuilt the index, moved it to another disk, rebuilt again without any result: no results in the search window. Cortana is off and web searching is off. Even if web searching is on, there are no search results in the window. This has never...
  10. [Resolved] Search in "Settings" does not work

in Windows 10 Support
    [Resolved] Search in "Settings" does not work: Hello, I have 4 laptops and 1 tablet eligible for Windows 10 upgrade and I upgraded them all. On one system (Windows 10 Home, upgraded from a Windows 8.1 Home laptop I bought 6 months ago), Search in "Settings" never returned anything, I always got "No results for...