Windows 10: Search does not seem to search all locations

Discus and support Search does not seem to search all locations in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have OS as usual on C:\ I have my docs\pics\videos\music located on E:\ The files search function does not seem to work correctly ..... does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sargan, Nov 29, 2016.

1. sargan Win User

Search does not seem to search all locations

I have OS as usual on C:\
    I have my docs\pics\videos\music located on E:\

The files search function does not seem to work correctly ..... does not seem to accurately search the E:\
    If I drive the search down to a particular folder it works OK ... but does not seem capable of doing this itself.

I have looked st Indexed folder ... only shows C:/ how do I add indexing for E:\

help appreciated.

p.s. I did load 'search everything' that finds stuff straight away .. but would like to resolve W10 search feature.

:)

sargan, Nov 29, 2016

2. Windows Phone 10 Maps does not search locations visible on map

Thank you very much for your kind response and suggestion. This will work for nearby locations that are visible on the map. However, if one is attempting to locate a place on the map say 20 miles away, one will have to physically pan and locate it and then
    tap for directions.

My point was that in some cases, windows map does not find a location on conducting a search function, when that location is shown on the map.

Example: I was in one location in Dubai and wanted to visit Lamcy Plaza. When I conducted a search for Lamcy Plaza, I got a notification which read 'No results found. try a different spelling or search
    item'. I had to physically locate Lamcy Plaza on the map and then tap for directions.

This is probably a software related issue due to which search does not perform properly.

Thanks and best regards,

Nihar

Niharswarup, Nov 29, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    Windows Phone 10 Maps does not search locations visible on map

You do not have to search....

Just hold the tap on any location to get a popup for "directions to"

garym123, Nov 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, please see Control Panel, Indexing options. (Or search Settings for Indexing)
    Best not to remove the defaults, esp. Users, or be very careful, as this can affect searching Settings etc.

Note that check boxes need to be enabled (they usually are) on the folder properties for search for contents to be indexed. Note further that you need the relevant 'ifilters' in place to have text file type content indexed, and that content indexing is not case sensitive.

Search does not seem to search all locations [​IMG]

Cortana file / folder search is limited to what's indexed and as such is a cut down version of search using file explorer.

This applies to Windows search (although I hugely prefer to use a 3rd party tool with GUI options)
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

dalchina, Nov 29, 2016
  5. sargan Win User
    Thanks could see 'D and E' locations were not ticked, have now ticked those .. but not changed any defaults.
    Do I need to start a re-index ?

You mention you use a search tool with GUI .... what is the tool ? assuming the link for windows search is not it.

sargan, Nov 29, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, having added locations, you should see the number of items indexed increase automatically- Control Panel, Indexing Options.

Fast indexing of almost all files and folders, but not content, 'instant' find-as-you-type results:
    These freeware programs have been mentioned here many times.
    Locate32 (older, my preference) - includes additional search of content including media tags, case sensitive.
    Ultrasearch - not case sensitive, additional content search, modern maintained.
    Everything by void tools - I don't favour this as it installs a service and uses resources the others don't. Features of Ultrasearch require using a beta version.

These can limit search by size, date, type, location, use regular expressions..... and are much faster than using non-indexed Windows search.

dalchina, Nov 29, 2016
  7. sargan Win User
    OK have installed Search Everything by voidtools ........... I'll try that for a while, if necessary I can try one of the others you mention.

sargan, Nov 29, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Last I looked, to get the extra GUI features, you needed v1.4beta. Maybe changed since then.

dalchina, Nov 29, 2016
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Dalchina: you still need the beta for advanced GUI stuff in Everything (Voidtools). I just checked.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search does not seem to search all locations - Similar Threads - Search does seem

2. Search not working at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search not working at all: The search beside start is not working at all. It will load infinitely and does nothing. It happens a long time ago and I ended up doing a clean installation. I dont want to do it again and I want to address this today. This is annoying since I use it often. Kindly help my...
  3. Search not working at all

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search not working at all: The search beside start is not working at all. It will load infinitely and does nothing. It happens a long time ago and I ended up doing a clean installation. I dont want to do it again and I want to address this today. This is annoying since I use it often. Kindly help my...
  4. Search box doesnt search at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search box doesnt search at all: My search box dont search anymore. I dont know when it happen since im just using this computer for 2 days after vacation. The search is not functioning at all. you can type and search but no results. I have Windows 10 Pro 21H1 version maybe that will help....
  5. Search box doesnt search at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search box doesnt search at all: My search box dont search anymore. I dont know when it happen since im just using this computer for 2 days after vacation. The search is not functioning at all. you can type and search but no results. I have Windows 10 Pro 21H1 version maybe that will help....
  6. Search box doesnt search at all

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows search does not search inside the files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows search does not search inside the files.: Hi. I cant take results from inside of file contents (etc .css) while I've made the relevant choice in Windows Search. After searching the internet I read that it may be the file "Searchui.exe". Indeed, the file does not even exist on my system. Αnyone to have some idea to...
  8. Indexing for "all" search seems to have been scrambled

in Cortana
    Indexing for "all" search seems to have been scrambled: This happened recently, but there seems to be an issue with searching executables from the taskbar. It still finds installed programs, but for standalone exe files, it does not display them under the "all" search. It still displays under the "apps" tab when searching however....
  9. Bing search location setting

in Cortana
    Bing search location setting: I am in NM in the USA not uk as Bing searches seem to believe. How to set Bing searches for USA Bing search location? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bing-search-location-setting/8f935e75-a068-42a2-b278-367a7545decd"
  10. What else besides not searching all file locations when searching for a files do not work...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What else besides not searching all file locations when searching for a files do not work...: Saw a video where one of the changes in the next update will be to search all files and locations. So how do we know what does not work or work effectively because Microsoft designed something to work in a degraded condition? Am I asking too much to expect something from...