Windows 10: Search doesn't work

Discus and support Search doesn't work in Cortana to solve the problem; For a while now, seemingly after the May update, the search icon/box doesn't doanything. The thing is, it works on different user... What I tried:... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by kamil_ch, Jun 30, 2020.

1. kamil_ch Win User

Search doesn't work

For a while now, seemingly after the May update, the search icon/box doesn't doanything. The thing is, it works on different user...

What I tried:

• taking ownership of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data and adding full control for my user account
    • rebuilding index
    • disabling and re-enabling the search feature using CMD
    • running indexer troubleshooter, the result was "incorrect permissions on windows search directories - not fixed"

What do I do without uninstalling the update or creating a new user?

:)

kamil_ch, Jun 30, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jun 30, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. Search doesn't work

Cortana and Search Not Working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sometimes these issue (apps not working, settings doesn't open etc.) occur when your current account is corrupt. The best way to rectify these errors is to run an SFC Scan or the steps I will mention below. If these steps doesn't work then you should try
    and check if everything works well in a new user account, since your system is working well in the new user account I would suggest you transfer all the data to this account and make this as the administrative account.

Please try these steps and see if they help correct the issues in your main account:

Method 1: Run the DISM Tool.

• On the Search bar type “cmd” and click ctrl + shift + Enter to open the Elevated Command Prompt. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow)
    • Type “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth”
    For more information about DISM click on the link below:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Method 2: Type the following Command in Powershell

• On the Search bar type “cmd” and click ctrl + shift + Enter to open the Elevated Command Prompt.
    • To enable powershell script, please type the following command:
      PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted and Click Enter.
    • Once Powershell is enabled please type the following commands:
      Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
      Click Enter.
    • Exit and restart the system.
    If these steps doesn't work either I would suggest you transfer all your data to this test user account.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards

Jesinta Rozario, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Search doesn't work

1. Search doesn't work - Similar Threads - Search doesn't

2. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  3. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  4. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My Microsoft Store app doesn't appear using any search terms

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft Store app doesn't appear using any search terms: Two weeks ago I adjusted my app's availability to public and using the Microsoft Store 'search' box does not show the product by name its called "MonkeyPaste" or any of the search terms I provided like "Clipboard". In both cases I have scrolled all the way to the bottom of...
  6. My Microsoft Store app doesn't appear using any search terms

My Microsoft Store app doesn't appear using any search terms: Two weeks ago I adjusted my app's availability to public and using the Microsoft Store 'search' box does not show the product by name its called "MonkeyPaste" or any of the search terms I provided like "Clipboard". In both cases I have scrolled all the way to the bottom of...
  7. Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents

Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents: When I go to the search icon in taskbar, right click to open pane, click on search, it only shows trending and masses of irrelevant crud. It used to show recent searches, making the box pretty empty, which was great. Now suddenly it has tons of useless suggestions. How do I...
  8. Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents: When I go to the search icon in taskbar, right click to open pane, click on search, it only shows trending and masses of irrelevant crud. It used to show recent searches, making the box pretty empty, which was great. Now suddenly it has tons of useless suggestions. How do I...
  9. Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Windows Start button doesn't work, search icon doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Start button doesn't work, search icon doesn't work.: Hey, I started my PC today on Windows 10 to find my taskbar has no icons on it except for the windows start button and the search icon, along with a few other icons. I did not have this issue yesterday. None of the icons work except for the little "^" icon, I think that's...