Windows 10: Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

Discus and support Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder in Cortana to solve the problem; I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Anuj_Verma, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked.

I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu search, I do not get any result. I am able to search all other folders properly.

I've tried rebuilding the Windows Index but that does not help. I used the Settings app and found that these folders are excluded, and then removed them. However, when I check again after a few minutes, they are back in the excluded list.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

:)

Anuj_Verma, Mar 24, 2021
  2. cShane Win User

Exclude subfolder

This folder is being watched:

C:\Users\Shane\Music

I would like to exclude this subfolder:

C:\Users\Shane\Music\_downloads

Files in this subfolder are usually tagged incorrectly, and I like to fix them before moving them into the sorted folders.

Is it possible to exclude a subfolder?

Thanks,

Shane.

cShane, Mar 24, 2021
  3. Excluding folders in Windows Search

Hi,

I'd like to set Windows Search so that the search only searches within the user's C:\Users folder. Alternatively, I'd be happy if the Search searched the whole PC, but excluded the ability to search within other users' folders.

I tried setting the Find My Files setting to Enhanced and added everyone else's User folder to the excluded list. However, exactly the same excluded folder list appears within each user's own Windows, which is clearly not what I need. Each user needs a different set of folders excluded from Search. I just can't figure out how to do this.

Is anyone able to help please?

Thanks

M

Windows 10 version 1909

zaarin2003, Mar 24, 2021
  4. Mayra Aqu Win User

Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

Exclude subfolder

Hi,

To isolate your concern, we would like to ask the following:

• What do you mean by excluding sub-folder from the music collection?
    • What exactly are you trying to accomplish by excluding the sub-folder?

We look forward to your response.

Mayra Aqu, Mar 24, 2021
Thema:

Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

1. Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder - Similar Threads - Search excludes folder

2. Folders and Subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and Subfolders: Using windows explorer to organize photos by year and then subfolders for activities during that year I want to be able to see all folders and subfolders on the main windows explorer screen without having to click on the year folder to see what that year contains. Is that...
  3. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  4. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Cortana
    Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  5. Windows search excludes directories (especially those that contain a .git folder) by itself.

Windows search excludes directories (especially those that contain a .git folder) by itself.: Problem described above. However, I couldnt find a solution to this anywhere. so anyone here maybe got a solution to this? submitted by /u/Xeadriel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/knpsk5/windows_search_excludes_directories_especially/
  6. Excluding folders in Windows Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Excluding folders in Windows Search: Hi, I'd like to set Windows Search so that the search only searches within the user's C:\Users folder. Alternatively, I'd be happy if the Search searched the whole PC, but excluded the ability to search within other users' folders. I tried setting the Find My Files setting...
  7. Exclude specific network folders from a network search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude specific network folders from a network search: Hi, I'm currently on Windows 10 Home 1909 and am wondering how do I exclude specific network folders when I'm frequently doing a search on a networked drive? The drive isn't mapped, just added as a network location shortcut in "This PC". Thanks. 154147
  8. exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?

exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?: in windows 7 there was a search option to exclude searching the subfolders too. In windows 10 i cant see any. Now every time i want to search for a file, my computer searches the whole drive for that file and shows all results which have that name. I only want to see the file...
  9. Exclude Folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exclude Folder.: Hey guys, I have a folder in my Windoes 10 Explorer that I want to exclude from media scanning, so it won't appear in anywhere except Explorer. Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of .NOMEDIA folder like the one in Android. Thank you very much....
  10. Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded: Hello, My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list. The issue...