Windows 10: Search (file explorer) broken in 9879

Discus and support Search (file explorer) broken in 9879 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I think the search is broken in file explorer in 9879 Say I'm just looking for all my ISO files -- I used to type in the search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Dec 12, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Search (file explorer) broken in 9879

Hi there

I think the search is broken in file explorer in 9879

Say I'm just looking for all my ISO files -- I used to type in the search argument *.iso or even .iso and it would list all files xxxxxx.iso

Now the search returns ANY STRING CONTAINING iso in it such as xxxxxxisonluxxxxxxx etc -- totally USELESS.

I think also a space now is treated as a wild card so you also get xxxxx.iso.xxxxx too which is NOT what I want either.

Don't developers ever need to use a search or are their brains hard wired so that they know where every file is on their machines. Surely this is one of the basic elements of "An Explorer" - to search and find !!!!. They surely must have a test script or checksheet to go through before allowing a build out of the door.

(Fortunately I can just do the search from a Linux server using the windows drives as network shared drives - the DOLPHIN file browser search WORKS the way it should !!!! - but I shouldn't have to use another machine for a basic function like this).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 12, 2014

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Dec 12, 2014
  3. antbov1 Win User
    windows 10 file explorer search box is read-only

Thank you. (Version 1607 Build 14393.321) (New File Explorer sessions continued to have search box read only).

Apologies for not attempting more waiting and rebooting - I was impatient with another problem.

After a few hours, new sessions of File Explorer did have the search box enabled. So I closed the old broken ones.

So the problem was transient and local, and has not re-occurred.

antbov1, Dec 12, 2014
  4. Search (file explorer) broken in 9879

Jimbo45

The search is different in Windows 10. Here are a few example searches:

A minimum file size, simply type size:>30,000KB into the Search box and press Enter. A size range search would be size:750MB..2GB.
    type:=.pdf or type:=.doc will display specific file types.
    filename:x will display files using a partial filename. x represents the partial filename you want to search for.
    kind:video, kind:music or kind*Tongueictures will find all the videos, music or pictures.

If you just click or tap in the Search box, Search Tools will appear which allows the choosing of a Kind, a Size, Date Modified, Other Properties and Advanced search. In Folder Options > Search Tab, the search options can be changed, e.g. Find partial matches.

Providing the location is indexed, you can search in File Explorer for a specific word or phrase by typing content: followed by your phrase enclosed in double quotes. This will produce a list of files matching the criterion.

Speed up the search by opening File Explorer (was Windows Explorer) at the folder you want to search, rather than at the root folder. Also, pressing F3 will show Search options like Date Modified and Size.

After displaying the search results, click or tap the heading of the field you want the results sorted by. If the field is not showing, click or tap View > Sort by > More, scroll down and put a tick in, say, Path. This will add the Path column to the display. Press Alt if the Menu bar is not showing.

BurrWalnut, Dec 12, 2014
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks for the info

However it's not really intuitive -- I think ever since I first started using windows (windows 3.11 !!!!) I've been used to file searches of the type *.* or *a*c.iso where a space at the end is the delimiter - rather than *aa*iso * which is how it seems to behave now.

I'm not sure really whether searches on file size are really useful - especially in these days of very large storage volumes.

never mind - we all have to get used to new stuff.

I believe IBM back in the days when they were a REAL computing company ("Big Blue") used to say -- that's not an ERROR but a "Feature"!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 12, 2014
  6. IBM eh?

Fifty years ago I started my working life as an IBM mainframe programmer.

C++ and Java are a doddle these days, do you remember the difficulties of the Assembler BXLE (back axle) instruction?

BurrWalnut, Dec 12, 2014
  7. Mystere Win User
    Those old search patterns were based on the old DOS requirements and don't really make sense anymore. filenames don't have the restrictions they once had, and you can now connect to filesystems that don't even have NTFS filename restrictions.

The idea here is that you let the filesystem work out how to search for a type.

Mystere, Dec 12, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Actually the whole idea of a TYPE might become redundant soon -- an OS could simply know by CONTENT what a file was so you could give it any name you liked - so it wouldn't matter if it's FLAC / MKV / EXE or even an ISO.

I use Storage spaces now more and more so location of files for me is unimportant --the OS handles all that brilliantly -- for data backup I just schedule what I need and when usually by a range of directories. It's brilliant being freed from the constraints of the physical space on a HDD --- my music and video libraries can now easily span several physical volumes.

I run the OS from a small SSD (120 GB) which is the only volume I need to image. I don't bother now with partitions / volume physical size etc.

If I want more space I simply add another HDD to the storage pool (and unlike RAID you can use DIFFERENT size volumes in the mix).

Storage Spaces Overview - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 13, 2014
  9. wptski Win User
    I just tried that "*.iso" and the only thing that it found were the ISO files although I had no ISO files on my W10 physical HD so I search my W7 physical HD.

Thinking that I may not have a file with "iso" in its name. I created a text file "testisotestfile.txt" on my W10 HD, searched for "*.iso" and it found nothing.

wptski, Dec 13, 2014
  10. pbcopter Win User
    With my system Windows 10 technical Preview 9879, when I search my 4 disks for *.iso, all that is returned are the *.iso files. If I change the search to *iso, then files with the letters iso are returned as well. It seems to function as expected for me.

pbcopter, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search (file explorer) broken in 9879 - Similar Threads - Search file explorer

2. File explorer is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer is broken: Every time file explorer is opened, the program freezes. Specific symptoms:"Saving As" in any software brings up the file explorer window that freezes for several seconds.Right clicking on desktop crashes Explorer, the taskbar stops working, everything resets.Opening up a...
  3. File explorer is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer is broken: Every time file explorer is opened, the program freezes. Specific symptoms:"Saving As" in any software brings up the file explorer window that freezes for several seconds.Right clicking on desktop crashes Explorer, the taskbar stops working, everything resets.Opening up a...
  4. File explorer is broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Start Menu and File Explorer search broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and File Explorer search broken: For some reason, when I click on the search icon on the start menu, or the search box in file explorer, nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on v2004. submitted by /u/badass-techie [link] [comments]...
  6. File Explorer is Broken

File Explorer is Broken: [ATTACH] Whenever I go into File Explorer this happens, and everything is invisible or covering other things I am trying to get to. What's happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-is-broken/8ce54f11-9912-4437-b800-70efda655e48
  7. File Explorer Search Location Options Are Broken

File Explorer Search Location Options Are Broken: For some reason, I can't seem to switch from "All subfolders" to "Current folder" when I search for a file in File Explorer. I'm not sure if this is a bug or something, but I need help with this problem. How can I fix this?...
  8. search box in windows explorer broken

in Cortana
    search box in windows explorer broken: on my old windows 10 machine, i could click on search, and date modified, and a calendar would pop up and allow me to set a specific date range. on my brand new computer it does not work. i can only pick last week, last month, etc. i have no idea how to get the function...
  9. File explorer search broken?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer search broken?: Latest version of Windows 10 1909, after some time it randomly won't let me search on file explorer..can't click on the search bar...nothing happens. Have to signout/restart or manually restart file explorer. Anyone else? submitted by /u/RedditUser09138 [link] [comments]...
  10. File Explorer Broken

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Broken: Company purchased two new Dell machines with windows 10 pro installed. Did the gamut of prepping them with getting them joined to our domain network, installing office 2013, AV etc. etc. Both machines worked fine. One client machine has SQL Express installed in order to...