Windows 10: Search file names question!

Discus and support Search file names question! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names. Is there a way to search within the file names?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rosy89, May 27, 2016.

1. rosy89 Win User

Search file names question!

Hello!

Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names.
    Is there a way to search within the file names? Like you can when you press ctrl + f in a body of text.
    Thank you!!

:)

rosy89, May 27, 2016
  2. VictorJ27 Win User

Search box: Search in folder names, file names and application names by default

Check for updates on your device. If it's working before, possible it's a bug from the windows version you're using now.

VictorJ27, May 27, 2016
  3. cosmik Win User
    Search box: Search in folder names, file names and application names by default

It never ceases to amaze me how Microsoft can get one thing perfect, and then manage to ruin it more and more: in Windows 7 I used Windows search to startup anything. In fact, it was so good that I did not use folder navigation to find a file. I just wrote
    part of the filename, it appeared in the results and presto: I launched the file from the file search results.

Things got worse with 8 and 8.1. For some reason they were fixed the initial search in Windows 10. Only to be ruined in the later versions.

As it is right now, if I want to search for a folder that start with xyz, I have to open the search box and type "folders:xyz". Same thing if I want to search for a filename that starts with abc, whereas I must prefix the search with "files:", as in "files:abc"

For the love of the Superior Being Out There (SBOT) can I trip the registry somehow to search
    by default in both of these types, in addition to the other types it looks for? Is there a guide out there that shows how to enable search in everything tbh?

Thanks in advance for any info provided!

cosmik, May 27, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, do you mean the search field in explorer?

You can use regular expressions and much more.. e.g.
    *music?2

would match names with any number of characters, music, 1 character and 2
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

Not sure that's your question.

If by 'within the file names' you mean also search the file content, then I would recommend Locate32 (freeware).
    This does a fast index of your files and folders, and the search fields and syntax support searching text file content as well as detailed specification of the names. I use this regularly.

(Everything by voidtools is similar and more modern, but does not support searching file contents).

Using explorer search to find file content
    This is supported but little known, I think
    See 'Using Windows Search" here:
    How to Search the Content of Your Files on Windows

You will find e.g. doc, rtf, docx, txt marked as 'search contents' as well.
    So open a folder that is indexed, which contains some file types like that.
    Let's say one of them contains
    765432abc

Type
    "765432abc" in explorer's search field including "".
    (Refer to Advanced Query Syntax (Windows) )
    Your file should be listed.

dalchina, May 27, 2016
  5. BevHoward Win User
    Perfect question for me to start off with... since I had to sit down a couple of days ago and find the answers myself... it ain't easy ;-)

A big change in file searches that began with win7 was that windows not only searched for filenames, but would return every file that contained what you were searching for that was contained in any file. For example, search for "shirt" and not only would you get filenames containing "shirt" you would get any file that contained the word "shirt" in the file.

There is unfortunately no way to change this default behavior, but you can add "modifiers" to your search such as;
    name:shirt
    which will return only files that contain "shirt" in the filename at the beginning or after a space or underline in the filename.

The windows documentation is wrong about this modifer term... it states that you must use "filename:" but "name:" is functionally identical... four characters less at least.

Note, that if you are seeing only results that begin with your search term, remember that the column sort may be grouping them so that other filenames containing what you are searching for may not be easy to spot.

You can also specify folder names to search such as;
    in:mywork

There are many other modifier terms that can be used when searching. You don't have to learn them because when you use file explorer's menu/search when you select on, windows will type out the modifier phrase in the search box.

More on this at;
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

I'll post more findings if anyone expresses interest.

Beverly Howard

BevHoward, May 27, 2016
  6. BevHoward Win User
    Oops.. color me wrong on this one... turns out that the above syntax works only if there is a space or underline before the string you are searching for in the filename. I do remember that I found an option in the past... will report back.

Beverly Howard

BevHoward, May 27, 2016
  7. BevHoward Win User
    Found it...

Turns out that the moidifer "name:" modifier is not the same as "filename:"

Plus, you have to use a wildcard to match strings embedded within the filename.

so, use the "filename:" modifier with a wildcard

For example, searching for filenames that contain "tips" somewhere in the name use the syntax;

filename:*tips

Sorry for the error,
    Beverly Howard

BevHoward, May 27, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Thing is though, the files have to be indexed, + the syntax is convoluted.

Therefore the 3rd party tool is definitely my preference, allowing specification by size, date, filename etc etc and then also by content.

Now... can Windows search search text-based pdf's? Er... actually yes, along with htm, html...

dalchina, May 27, 2016
  9. BevHoward Win User
    My experience is that windows search will find strings in pdf files. This will obviously depend on the pdf's encryption and other file settings.

Not only that, and not sure if it is still in place, but search used to find strings in TIF files using OCR... this was because TIF is a widely used format to send FAX files received by computers and web services.

Another useful option is to put descriptive comments in image files' "comment" "EXIF" and "IPTC" fields... notably JPG files comments. Windows search will find those strings making image searches much easier.

Beverly Howard

BevHoward, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search file names question! - Similar Threads - Search file names

2. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  3. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  4. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 file name search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 file name search: I am trying to segregate all of my file names for purchases. Is there a way to search for all of the file names that contain a certain word such as AMAZON? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-name-search/d804060f-8bcc-4af9-ae98-d0958ce73333
  6. Searching for files names with numbers

Searching for files names with numbers: HI, I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and new laptop. All of my invoices are named after the invoice number, for example 2020-5075 but after upgrading to the new laptop, I can't search with numbers. I see the file but it says "no items match you search" but I can see...
  7. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  8. Search for file by substrings in file name

Search for file by substrings in file name: Say that I am looking for a file named Bernie_1234.ext If I use 1234 as the search string, the file is found. If I use 234 as the search string, nothing is found. If I use Ber as the search string, the file is found. If I use ernie as the search string, nothing is...
  9. searching with file explorer for just file names

searching with file explorer for just file names: Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-with-file-explorer-for-just-file-names/733d9215-8cb9-49fc-ae2d-3559c6e1e642"
  10. Elongated file names after file search

in Windows 10 Support
    Elongated file names after file search: I get odd looking results after I do a file search with list view or small icons. All fine when explorer normally displays in windows 10 but it looks like the file name is padded out with some extraneous characters.. Any thoughts or is this normal? Thanks John [img]...