Windows 10: Search file not showing results

Discus and support Search file not showing results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HI, I have a file, and when I search for "youtube" it doesn't show results. but when I search for "youtu" it will highlight the "youtu" in each name of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by winme, Jun 7, 2019.

1. winme Win User

Search file not showing results

HI, I have a file, and when I search for "youtube" it doesn't show results. but when I search for "youtu" it will highlight the "youtu" in each name of the links and show all the links. if I add the b , again there will be no results. why is it?
    thanks!

:)

winme, Jun 7, 2019
  2. Remonator Win User

Certain apps don't show in search results

Some of my applications don't show in search results when I search for them.

E.g. Visual Studio, it shows only a local directory named "Visual Studio 2017" but it doensn't show the application itself.

Some other applications are listed as wrong version (already uninstalled), and some others dont't show at all (e.g. Putty)

I've already rebuilt the index and ran sfc /scannow several times, and got shortcuts for the apps in both

• %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and

• %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (Build 14393.1358)

Any suggestions?

Remonator, Jun 7, 2019
  3. steam games won't show up in program files(x86)

Hi,

We suggest that you check if the folder is hidden by following these steps:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type folder, and then select
      Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
    • Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select
      OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Nathaniel Mon, Jun 7, 2019
  4. Jan Pac Win User

how to stop web results showing in search

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query here in Microsoft Community.

Here's how you stop web results from showing up on every search you do on Windows 10 while improving local results for files, apps, and settings:

• Click to open the search box in the taskbar.
    • Click the Notebook icon.
    • Click Settings from the list of options.
    Note: On Windows 10 build 14316 and later versions the Settings button to access Cortana setting may appear outside of Notebook in the navigation pane on the left.

4. On the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.

5. After disabling Cortana, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

You will now notice that the search box in the taskbar no longer says "Ask me anything," instead, it reads "Search Windows," indicating that you have completed the task. Try to do a search one more time, and this time, you'll see that search results will
    no longer appear.

In the case you need a more advanced search experience, type your search query, and click the
    Search my stuff button. In the advanced search section, you can sort results by relevance or time, and you can limit the result to a particular category (e.g., Documents, Settings, apps, etc.).

Keep in mind that stopping web results from showing up in the taskbar search box will also turn off Cortana in your system, which means that you'll have to make the decision of which experience is more important to you.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards.

Jan Pac, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Search file not showing results - Similar Threads - Search file showing

2. File Explorer search results showing up twice.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search results showing up twice.: For a few months now when i try to search something in file explorer pictures will show up twice after a certain date is reached. I dont know the exact date but it starts in september of 2022. This makes it very hard to navigate and search since I have a lot of pictures saved...
  3. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  4. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  5. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Cortana
  6. Show text result from file search in addition to the file??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Show text result from file search in addition to the file??: I enabled searching through file content and it seems to be working. It currently returns the file that contains the desired item. Is there a way for windows to also show a preview of the found phrase in the file and not just show the file? ex: when you search on google and...
  7. Show search results in English?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Show search results in English?: I am using Windows 10 in my native language. Often I look online to see solutions to different problems that show step by step guides through menus and settings. The guides are in English but when I type English keywords in the search bar it does not show the results because...
  8. Windows file explorer search results -- I want search results to show a preview of my...

in Cortana
    Windows file explorer search results -- I want search results to show a preview of my...: Hello, I recently got a new computer and I am having trouble with the search results in windows file explorer. I changed the indexing settings so I am able to search the contents of the files. However, the results only highlight my search term in the document's path...
  9. Search not showing any results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not showing any results: Windows search is not showing any results. It keeps searching... 21347
  10. Search not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not showing results: Hi. Anyone know how to fix the search function in Windows 10? It's not showing any results. So far I already tried the following but to no avail. Rebuild indexing, scannow cmd, chdsk /r,. 10886