Windows 10: Search file not showing results

Discus and support Search file not showing results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HI, I have a file, and when I search for "youtube" it doesn't show results. but when I search for "youtu" it will highlight the "youtu" in each name of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by winme, Jun 7, 2019.

1. winme Win User

Search file not showing results

HI, I have a file, and when I search for "youtube" it doesn't show results. but when I search for "youtu" it will highlight the "youtu" in each name of the links and show all the links. if I add the b , again there will be no results. why is it?
    thanks!

:)

winme, Jun 7, 2019
  2. Remonator Win User

Certain apps don't show in search results

Some of my applications don't show in search results when I search for them.

E.g. Visual Studio, it shows only a local directory named "Visual Studio 2017" but it doensn't show the application itself.

Some other applications are listed as wrong version (already uninstalled), and some others dont't show at all (e.g. Putty)

I've already rebuilt the index and ran sfc /scannow several times, and got shortcuts for the apps in both

• %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and

• %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (Build 14393.1358)

Any suggestions?

Remonator, Jun 7, 2019
  3. steam games won't show up in program files(x86)

Hi,

We suggest that you check if the folder is hidden by following these steps:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type folder, and then select
      Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
    • Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select
      OK.
    Let us know how it goes.

Nathaniel Mon, Jun 7, 2019
  4. Jan Pac Win User

how to stop web results showing in search

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query here in Microsoft Community.

Here's how you stop web results from showing up on every search you do on Windows 10 while improving local results for files, apps, and settings:

• Click to open the search box in the taskbar.
    • Click the Notebook icon.
    • Click Settings from the list of options.
    Note: On Windows 10 build 14316 and later versions the Settings button to access Cortana setting may appear outside of Notebook in the navigation pane on the left.

4. On the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give me suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.

5. After disabling Cortana, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

You will now notice that the search box in the taskbar no longer says "Ask me anything," instead, it reads "Search Windows," indicating that you have completed the task. Try to do a search one more time, and this time, you'll see that search results will
    no longer appear.

In the case you need a more advanced search experience, type your search query, and click the
    Search my stuff button. In the advanced search section, you can sort results by relevance or time, and you can limit the result to a particular category (e.g., Documents, Settings, apps, etc.).

Keep in mind that stopping web results from showing up in the taskbar search box will also turn off Cortana in your system, which means that you'll have to make the decision of which experience is more important to you.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards.

Jan Pac, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Search file not showing results - Similar Threads - Search file showing

2. Windows Search Bar shows no result

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Search Bar shows no result: my windows search bar shows no result at all, it goes block and shows a white display. Please help[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-bar-shows-no-result/a9f73fd7-1a52-4ea1-a60a-783dc45b8f20
  3. File Explorer search results show non-exact matches

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search results show non-exact matches: When searching in File Explorer, the term 'm990-03-02' returns two files: 1) M990-03-02 2) M990-02-03 Why is -02-03 appearing? I tried to wrap the search term in double quotes ("m990-03-02") however both files still appear in the search results. Is there a setting...
  4. search bar showing bigger result window

in Cortana
    search bar showing bigger result window: [IMG] Usually the results for a search would appear in a smaller less detailed window, would it be possible to go back to this? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-showing-bigger-result-window/9c7d83c6-b5d2-4bf9-b5e1-e0009511b9d1"
  5. Windows 10 search bar not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 search bar not showing results: It is probably something easy and I am just being dumb but I couldn't find anything about this. Imgur: The magic of the Internet 123184
  6. Search not showing any results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not showing any results: Windows search is not showing any results. It keeps searching... 21347
  7. Search only shows Web Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search only shows Web Results: When I search for something in the search bar, now I am only getting web results. I am not getting computer related items. For example, if I search for printers, I only get web results about printers. I am not getting anything about the printers I have installed on this...
  8. Search result - Move folders instead of file

in Windows 10 Support
    Search result - Move folders instead of file: I have done a search for all files with the word e.g. "dvd" in the filename.. It returns a list of files result.. The problems is I want to move the folder/s that contains those files not just the file on it's own.. How can I do this? 72661
  9. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...
  10. Search not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not showing results: Hi. Anyone know how to fix the search function in Windows 10? It's not showing any results. So far I already tried the following but to no avail. Rebuild indexing, scannow cmd, chdsk /r,. 10886