Windows 10: Search for and delete a list of files

Discus and support Search for and delete a list of files in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; On a related topic to backups, I just heard from my boss that I can delete all the work-related photos I took with my phone from 2023.I have all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by SlickRCBD, Feb 27, 2024.

1. SlickRCBD Win User

Search for and delete a list of files

On a related topic to backups, I just heard from my boss that I can delete all the work-related photos I took with my phone from 2023.I have all the photos on my phone backed up in a big folder on my hard drive, but they are all in a single unsorted folder, or at least mostly sorted by date taken since the names are sequential.I took the time on the train today to segregate them all hopefully into a single folder/album on my phone, a Samsung Galaxy S105G.Is there an easy way to make a list of those files in that album/folder on the phone and then have Windows search my backup folder and dele

:)

SlickRCBD, Feb 27, 2024

2. How to delete searched file list using file manager?

I did a search for *.jpg in a folder, and I want to delete the whole list of 300 or whatever jpg files that appear. There is no select all, nothing. I thought I used to be able to so that? OK got it, you have to manually select files, then you can delete them all at once
    Search for and delete a list of files 361142d1646247683t-how-delete-searched-file-list-using-file-manager-image.png
    - - - Updated - - - Well it does not work, says interrupted action? File manager has hung.
    Search for and delete a list of files 361143d1646247885t-how-delete-searched-file-list-using-file-manager-image.png
    - - - Updated - - - Earlier I had told it to index all the drives on my PC, has 1,450,000 index entries. Is the indexing killing the thing? But without indexing, file searches are horrendously slow, and this is a SSD - - - Updated - - - Tried closing window from task bar, and it gives this but again has hung up - - - Updated - - -
    Search for and delete a list of files 361144d1646248144t-how-delete-searched-file-list-using-file-manager-image.png
    - - - Updated - - - I managed to close the window, and briefly saw Clone CD directory deletion required admin privileges, but that folder was not showing in the list, so baffling. That folder is in folder 1234. I searched again and saw all the jpg files are now gone.

sdowney717, Feb 27, 2024
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Deleting Hiberfil & Pagefile

You would have to move your Page File to a different drive to get rid of that file, however you can make is smaller by adjusting the size in Windows.

To get rid of Hyberfile.sys you need to disable hibernation by doing the following:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press ENTER.
    • Type exit and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window
    Then you can delete the hyberfile.sys file.

newtekie1, Feb 27, 2024
  4. Javaman Win User

File explorer not refreshing after deleting files in search

Using Windows 10 Home.
    This problem only happens if I'm performing a search.
    If I search within a folder for say *.* and then delete a file, the list of files does not refresh.
    The file remains listed even though it's been deleted.
    If I manually refresh then the file disappears from the list. Same thing happens if I undo the delete.
    I need to hit F5 to make the file reappear in the search list.

Anyone else having this problem or know a fix? Thanks.

-----

Seems to be a Windows 10 prob. I went back to 8.1 and everything was fine.

Javaman, Feb 27, 2024
Thema:

1. Search for and delete a list of files - Similar Threads - Search delete list

2. List of files in a Search in File Explorer reorders automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    List of files in a Search in File Explorer reorders automatically: When I do a search in Windows File Explorer and then sort the files e.g., by date or file type, File Explorer reorders the files after about a minute back to the order first displayed when the results of the search were first displayed. Is there a way to prevent the...
  3. List of files in a Search in File Explorer reorders automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List of files in a Search in File Explorer reorders automatically: When I do a search in Windows File Explorer and then sort the files e.g., by date or file type, File Explorer reorders the files after about a minute back to the order first displayed when the results of the search were first displayed. Is there a way to prevent the...
  4. List of files in a Search in File Explorer reorders automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Search for and delete a list of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search for and delete a list of files: On a related topic to backups, I just heard from my boss that I can delete all the work-related photos I took with my phone from 2023.I have all the photos on my phone backed up in a big folder on my hard drive, but they are all in a single unsorted folder, or at least mostly...
  6. Search for and delete a list of files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Search for and delete a list of files: On a related topic to backups, I just heard from my boss that I can delete all the work-related photos I took with my phone from 2023.I have all the photos on my phone backed up in a big folder on my hard drive, but they are all in a single unsorted folder, or at least mostly...
  7. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer: Hi all,I am running Win 10, 64 bit home, latest update. I have deleted a large number of files and also emptied the recycle bin. They hav e been deleted from my backup drives.However, when I run a search in File Explorer for one of those files, it shows in the search but will...
  8. The problem of searching for a file to delete it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The problem of searching for a file to delete it: [ATTACH] I deleted a program and when I downloaded it again and then tried to install it, this message appears: The following file already exists Would you like to replace the existing file ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ I don't want to replace the file, I want to delete...
  9. Can't delete searched files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete searched files: I have a folder that has 2 copies per item, all with the word 'copy' in the filename which I want to delete. Instead of deleting them one by one I entered 'copy' in the search bar which brings up all the duplicate files, yet I can't delete them even though it's an option in...
  10. deleting listings

in Browsers and Email
    deleting listings: When sending e-mail and punching in the fist letter in a name , a listing comes up with a bunch of names I don't want , or need. How do I delete those names not wanted? 16036