Windows 10: Search for file by substrings in file name

Discus and support Search for file by substrings in file name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Say that I am looking for a file named Bernie_1234.ext If I use 1234 as the search string, the file is found. If I use 234 as the search string,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bernie Deitrick, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Search for file by substrings in file name

Say that I am looking for a file named

Bernie_1234.ext

If I use 1234 as the search string, the file is found.

If I use 234 as the search string, nothing is found.

If I use Ber as the search string, the file is found.

If I use ernie as the search string, nothing is found.

If I use ernie_ or even ie_ as the search string, the file is found.

Is there some setting that I need to change to allow any substring of the name to be searched for and found?

:)

Bernie Deitrick, Sep 3, 2019

2. Search Part of File Name with Keyword (Examples Included)

I tested your claim and found that it is correct. In technical terms, the Explorer "find" function will not find substrings inside a string unless the substrings are delimited by spaces or underscores.

You might have to wait for a long time for this restriction to be lifted. In the meantime I suggest you look at the many alternative file finders that you can see with a Google query like so:

File finder for Windows

Alternatively you could use a simple script to find your files.

Frederik Long, Sep 3, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Sep 3, 2019
  4. dark2099 Win User

Search for file by substrings in file name

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

Search for file by substrings in file name

1. Search for file by substrings in file name - Similar Threads - Search file substrings

2. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  3. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer: In File Explorer, how to search for any filename with a space before the period? * .* doesn't work -- returns all files.More generally, where are the syntax and other rules for searching in File Explorer?thanksK...
  4. Searching for files with spaces in names in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 file name search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 file name search: I am trying to segregate all of my file names for purchases. Is there a way to search for all of the file names that contain a certain word such as AMAZON? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-file-name-search/d804060f-8bcc-4af9-ae98-d0958ce73333
  6. Searching for files names with numbers

Searching for files names with numbers: HI, I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and new laptop. All of my invoices are named after the invoice number, for example 2020-5075 but after upgrading to the new laptop, I can't search with numbers. I see the file but it says "no items match you search" but I can see...
  7. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  8. searching with file explorer for just file names

searching with file explorer for just file names: Name:XYZ file explorer will list filenames, folder names, shortcuts etc. NO. I just want filenames! How to do i get that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-with-file-explorer-for-just-file-names/733d9215-8cb9-49fc-ae2d-3559c6e1e642"
  9. Elongated file names after file search

in Windows 10 Support
    Elongated file names after file search: I get odd looking results after I do a file search with list view or small icons. All fine when explorer normally displays in windows 10 but it looks like the file name is padded out with some extraneous characters.. Any thoughts or is this normal? Thanks John [img]...
  10. Search file names question!

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file names question!: Hello! Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names. Is there a way to search within the file names? Like you can when you press ctrl + f in a body of text. Thank you!! 51660