Windows 10: Search for files having a certain property

Discus and support Search for files having a certain property in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is it possible to use the File Explorer to search for flies have a certain property, e.g. size, date, title associated with an audio file, etc.? If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MInfoEng, Mar 13, 2020.

1. MInfoEng Win User

Search for files having a certain property

Is it possible to use the File Explorer to search for flies have a certain property, e.g. size, date, title associated with an audio file, etc.?

If so, where is the syntax of the search string defined?

:)

MInfoEng, Mar 13, 2020
  2. Frank1000 Win User

Search in certain files

Hi,
    how can i search within the content of only certain files ?

Also, is there a page that contains the list for all Win10 search functions ? I'm looking it up since 30 minutes but can't find anything.

I need to seach the term blabla in all .doc files, how is that syntaxed in the Win-Explorer search. Seems its nothing like it was in previous win8 version.

Thx,
    Frank

Frank1000, Mar 13, 2020
  3. YOU
    You Win User
    Search in certain files

Click in the search box and the Search tab will appear, then click on Advanced Options and check File Contents (to enable content searching in non-indexed locations, not really necessary for folders like r Documents but necessary to search in system folders). Next, if want to search inside a specific folder, navigate to the folder and type the search into the search bar. To list all files of one type, if know the extension of the file (examples are exe, txt, jpg, png), just type *.exe in the search bar, replacing exe with the file extension. If want to search the content of multiple files of a certain type (e.g. documents, pictures, notes), can, in the Search tab, click Kind and select the type, e.g. document., then just type the word are searching for in its content into the search bar.

What will do to search for that doc file is click the Search tab, Kind, select Document, then type blablablah into the search box next to the kind:=document
    (of course, navigate to the location it may be in before searching)

4. Search for files having a certain property

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

Search for files having a certain property

1. Search for files having a certain property - Similar Threads - Search files having

2. Why can't I open the properties of certain files or settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I open the properties of certain files or settings?: I have all of the latest windows updates installed, and I was wondering what this could mean, because I can't open the properties tab in any settings, like in the picture....
  3. Why can't I open the properties of certain files or settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I open the properties of certain files or settings?: I have all of the latest windows updates installed, and I was wondering what this could mean, because I can't open the properties tab in any settings, like in the picture....
  4. Windows Search not working for certain files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not working for certain files: Hello, i am having a problem with the Windows search function.It does not seem to find any Guitar Pro files like .gp, .gp3, etc.I have checked in the search index settings that the files are included and have tried rebuilding the index multiple times and with different...
  5. Windows Search not working for certain files

Windows Search not working for certain files: Hello, i am having a problem with the Windows search function.It does not seem to find any Guitar Pro files like .gp, .gp3, etc.I have checked in the search index settings that the files are included and have tried rebuilding the index multiple times and with different...
  6. "these files have properties that can't be read"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "these files have properties that can't be read": I'm trying to edit a video mp4 in Video Editor Photos and getting this error: "these files have properties that can't be read". I have to Dell Pcs, in one Video Editor can add the video in the other it can't. So nothing is wrong with the video. Both PCs were upgraded to...
  7. "these files have properties that can't be read"

"these files have properties that can't be read": I'm trying to edit a video mp4 in Video Editor Photos and getting this error: "these files have properties that can't be read". I have to Dell Pcs, in one Video Editor can add the video in the other it can't. So nothing is wrong with the video. Both PCs were upgraded to...
  8. Can't modify properties of certain files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't modify properties of certain files: Some files,when I modify the metadata (es. Images), sometimes it says "unable to modify metadata: file in use by COM Surrogate". The problem is that, COM Surrogate aka dllhost.exe is the same process that should modify the metadata, so if I turn down this process the whole...
  9. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders: Hi! This is my first thread post. I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read...
  10. Search in certain files

in Windows 10 Support
    Search in certain files: Hi, how can i search within the content of only certain files ? Also, is there a page that contains the list for all Win10 search functions ? I'm looking it up since 30 minutes but can't find anything. I need to seach the term blabla in all .doc files, how is that...