Windows 10: Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...

Discus and support Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; When I search for files within a folder I always get "No items match your search" despite them being obvious matches:When I go to indexing options I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Arthur Vander Voort, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...

When I search for files within a folder I always get "No items match your search" despite them being obvious matches:When I go to indexing options I can see that my C drive is checked as an "Indexed Location" but not listed as an "Included Location" below like the other drives. I'm not sure if this is the problem but it seems weird:

:)

Arthur Vander Voort, Nov 12, 2021

2. Windows 7 search returning more results than files in folder

I have a folder in Windows 7 (Professional, 64 bit). When I right click the folder on a network drive it says it has 424 files. (The folder supposedly contains Outlook calendar items saved as msg files.) Running one search returned over 4,000 items, some
    which don't appear in the file list, but the location shows the same folder I am searching. When I remove files from the search result (cut and paste into a different folder). The number of the items in the folder doesn't change, but when I search the items
    I removed no longer show up in search. When I cut and paste the folder to my desktop, the search only returns items in the folder. When I cut and paste the folder back to the network drive, search returns items not showing in the folder. What gives?

Thanks!!

MelissaCarpenter, Nov 12, 2021
  3. WIN10 search not returning results from indexed drive

Greetings

Windows 10 taskbar (Cortana) search is not returning results from an indexed drive. Both the C and D drives are indexed (specific Locations) and task bar search returns results from everywhere but the D drive. However, if I search via file manager search
    returns all the results.

I have tried

• rebuilding the index
    • stating and stopping the service
    • running the troubleshooter (find a permissions problem)
    The machine is fully patched with the latest release.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

THX Paul

PaulCramer, Nov 12, 2021
  4. 3mptylord Win User

Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...

Windows Search returning no results

Windows Search returning no results on one of my external harddrives.

I've trawled through pages of Google's advice and I have already:

• Tried indexing the HDD and rebuilding.
    • Non-indexing and rebuilding.
    • Indexing only specific folders on the HDD and rebuilding.
    • Specifically disabling indexing for this drive in the drive's properties.
    • Checked that I have the appropriate permissions on the drive (they are identical to my other HDDs).

Crude example of my problem:

• I am looking for the following file, A:\Example\test.txt.
    • I am inside the A:\Example folder.
    • I search for "test", "*" or "txt".
    • It says there are no results.

And it says "no results" instantly - it doesn't appear to even try.

I do not have a second drive with sufficient space to move the contents to do a format - so I'm looking for non-destructive solutions.

Based on solutions I've been proposed since posting this thread:
    • Does the HDD work on another computer? Yes. While searching on that computer it says "searching non-indexed locations will be slow", as I would expect. The issue must be with my computer and not the HDD.
    • Does outright disabling Windows Search in the Services do anything? Yes - I can now search the drive, but it is painfully slow.

3mptylord, Nov 12, 2021
Thema:

Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...

1. Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for... - Similar Threads - Search files within

2. Editing folder names from within Explorer search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing folder names from within Explorer search results: I wanted to remove a character string from the names of all subfolders of a given folder. In an Explorer window, I entered the character string in the search box and set it running. Immediately, I got a list of all folder names containing that string. The problem: The folder...
  3. Editing folder names from within Explorer search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Editing folder names from within Explorer search results: I wanted to remove a character string from the names of all subfolders of a given folder. In an Explorer window, I entered the character string in the search box and set it running. Immediately, I got a list of all folder names containing that string. The problem: The folder...
  4. Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...

Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...: When I search for files within a folder I always get "No items match your search" despite them being obvious matches:When I go to indexing options I can see that my C drive is checked as an "Indexed Location" but not listed as an "Included Location" below like the other...
  5. Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search for files within folders always returning no results. Drive is "selected" for...: When I search for files within a folder I always get "No items match your search" despite them being obvious matches:When I go to indexing options I can see that my C drive is checked as an "Indexed Location" but not listed as an "Included Location" below like the other...
  6. W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results": Many times the Win10 File Explorer works fine, but some times it returns "No results" even if there are obvious matches in the list. Repeating the search does not help. Changing to other directories and doing different searches sometimes works, and sometimes returning to...
  7. search returns duplicate results

in Windows 10 Customization
    search returns duplicate results: In Search Locations under Search tools in Outlook 2019, my email is listed multiple times. I;m sure this is why the emails are listed multiple times in a search. When I remove the check mark next to one of the duplicate search locations it reappears when I remove the check...
  8. Tenforums - Search and then search within results

in Windows 10 Support
    Tenforums - Search and then search within results: Up front: I haven't found a way of doing it, so I don't know if it is already possible. IF it is already possible, then below serves no purpose, but then again, I hope someone will tell me 'how to..' Is there a way to perform a search and then do a 2nd (maybe in case of...
  9. Windows Search returning no results

Windows Search returning no results: Windows Search returning no results on one of my external harddrives. I've trawled through pages of Google's advice and I have already: Tried indexing the HDD and rebuilding. Non-indexing and rebuilding. Indexing only specific folders on the HDD and rebuilding....
  10. search results that are not apps are not selectable

in Windows 10 Support
    search results that are not apps are not selectable: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit edition. I upgraded from Windows 8 pro. When I search for non-apps, such as "power options", the search results appear properly. However, when I click on the power options search result (with the icon), nothing happens. Clicking on...