Windows 10: Search for Missing files in File Explorer

Discus and support Search for Missing files in File Explorer in Cortana to solve the problem; I am using iTunes to locate missing files, which takes me to Explorer. All I have is the name of the files and the length in minutes to identify (and... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Ravenlyn, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Ravenlyn Win User

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

I am using iTunes to locate missing files, which takes me to Explorer. All I have is the name of the files and the length in minutes to identify (and the name is the same). So I'm looking for a file called Class with a length of 2:30, as opposed to a file called Class with a length of 3:30. I know it knows the length, because it shows up briefly. How can I search by that?

***Modified title from: I am using itunes to locate missing***

:)

Ravenlyn, Jan 17, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Missing files in File Explorer

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

Sometimes after an upgrade there are possibilities that files maybe hidden. So, is suggest you to unhide the folders and search for the missing file. To unhide the files, follow the steps below:

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click on View in the file ribbon.

3. Check the option for Hidden items
    and check if you are able to search the file.

Also, refer the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope the information provided is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 17, 2019
  4. Search for Missing files in File Explorer

File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

Search for Missing files in File Explorer

1. Search for Missing files in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Search Missing files

2. Missing icon in File Explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing icon in File Explorer search bar: I'm at my wits' end here - for the longest time I've had this problem where there's a square in place of the magnifier icon in the search bar in File Explorer. There's barely any threads about this bug online - the only one I found mentioned resetting default font...
  3. Files missing from File Explorer Search Results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files missing from File Explorer Search Results: I recently migrated from an older Windows 10 computer to a newer Windows 11 computer. On the new device, I cannot get search to work correctly. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I know of and nothing seems to work.The problem is that .DOC files are not returned in some...
  4. Files missing from File Explorer Search Results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files missing from File Explorer Search Results: I recently migrated from an older Windows 10 computer to a newer Windows 11 computer. On the new device, I cannot get search to work correctly. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I know of and nothing seems to work.The problem is that .DOC files are not returned in some...
  5. File explorer search

File explorer search: Whenever i search for files and I type ‘ash’ it only returns results for file names starting with ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ etc. Is there a setting I can change so that when i search for ‘ash’ it returns any file name containing ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ ‘Crashing.docx’ ‘Call me...
  6. File Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search: Running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 The search in File Explorer does not work well. It defaults to "All subfolders" and will not let me select "Current Folder". I notice others have the same issue, but I have not seen a solution. Anyone know...
  7. File explore search powered by windows search is missing functions

File explore search powered by windows search is missing functions: [ATTACH] Why are these functions from the old search missing? Why are we forced to use the ribbon? Instant search. Have to press enter now. Dropdown for kind, size options, date range calendar... Completely missing. Blue coloring for kind, size, date syntax... Its only...
  8. Missing search tools tab in file explorer?

Missing search tools tab in file explorer?: Hello, I'm not sure when this happened, but I have noticed that the Search Tools tab in File Explorer has disappeared. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1909 build 18363.836. I have another corporate-owned laptop running Windows 10 that does not receive updates unless...
  9. Search tab missing in Win10 File Explorer

Search tab missing in Win10 File Explorer: How can I bring up the Search Tab in Win10 File explorer without having to do a quick Start & Stop in order to view the options available under the Search Tab?...
  10. File Explorer Search

File Explorer Search: I'm having trouble using file explorer quick search. When opening a file in file explorer search bar and searching for specific files with similar names, Windows used to auotpopulate common characters in a drop down box. Now it only populates with recently used file names...