Windows 10: search for nominated folders and display their properties eg total size of files stored in each

Discus and support search for nominated folders and display their properties eg total size of files stored in each in Cortana to solve the problem; Have found the pathname of folders named "logs" using the Search box top-right of Windows 10 Explorer:logs kind:folders How do i get a listing that... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by MichaelParkin3, May 16, 2021.

1. search for nominated folders and display their properties eg total size of files stored in each

Have found the pathname of folders named "logs" using the Search box top-right of Windows 10 Explorer:logs kind:folders How do i get a listing that 1includes total size of the files in each folder listedand 2 not important write the search result to a fileeg in DOS I used:dir *logs.* /AD/S/O-S/N > c:\onedrivetemp\logs_dir.csvThat gave '0 bytes' in every folder found, which is NOT correct.Thank you from Wellington, New Zealand

:)

MichaelParkin3, May 16, 2021

2. folder should display with size in bytes and numbers of Items and numbers of files inside it.

By default only when files are selected does Explorer show in the status bar how many have been selected and their total size. This doesn't include the size of sub-folders.

Displaying the total size of a folder i.e. the size of all the files stored in it and its sub-folders to any depth is not practical. Just view the Properties dialog of a large folder such as Windows for example and see how long the OS takes to compute its
    total size (especially if the folder's not on an SSD).

RobertJWin, May 16, 2021
  3. gypsycomp Win User
    showing the total of folders/files in drive root

Properties are shown differently for folders and roots.
    Root properties only shows used and free space.
    Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders.
    Questions:
    1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive?
    2 - Better, how could I list the number of files within each folder?
    3 - Even better, how could I list the total of subfolders and files at each level within the tree branches?

gypsycomp, May 16, 2021
  4. Martmcd Win User

search for nominated folders and display their properties eg total size of files stored in each

how to view folder properties, including size

open file explorer

navigate to the parent folder of the folder you are interested in

right click on the folder of interest and select properties

if there are a lot of files and/or subfolders, it make take a while to calculate the size.

if more than one folder is selected it displays the total size of the selected folders.

Martmcd, May 16, 2021
Thema:

search for nominated folders and display their properties eg total size of files stored in each

1. search for nominated folders and display their properties eg total size of files stored in each - Similar Threads - search nominated folders

2. Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties": I'm downloading about 2,500 pictures and videos from my Onedrive to my HDD. When I looked in Windows Explorer/Properties, the size of all the files came to about 75GB ignoring size on disk as they are all in the cloud. When I started to copy them, the "Items Remaining" info...
  3. Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is "Items Remaining" file size different to total file size in "properties": I'm downloading about 2,500 pictures and videos from my Onedrive to my HDD. When I looked in Windows Explorer/Properties, the size of all the files came to about 75GB ignoring size on disk as they are all in the cloud. When I started to copy them, the "Items Remaining" info...
  4. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  5. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong file size in Properties: Hello, I have a 4GB folder that is reported as 4TB in file explorer properties. I see this was an issue first reported in 2018. I'm running widows 10 pro 21H2.I've run several scans and fixed corrupted files as recommended in earlier posts with no luck.Is this really still a...
  6. Wrong file size in Properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Is there a way to view the total file size of multiple selected files/folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to view the total file size of multiple selected files/folders?: Let’s say I’m moving multiple files and/or folders from one drive to another. Once I’ve selected all the files I need to move, is there a way to know the TOTAL size of the selection before I’m actually moving them? I’m sure I’m missing something, but as far as I’m aware, the...
  8. File explorer-Size of each file same as whole folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer-Size of each file same as whole folder: Hello, I have a problem with JPEG and Mp4 files cutted and pasted from my android device via cable to my laptop. Had no problems, when transferring files, but when finished, whole size of the folder changed. What should be the size of the whole folder (12,6GB) is now the...
  9. Folder size in disk properties and folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size in disk properties and folder properties: I've just moved data from three HDs to one 8Tb hard drive. Everything is there, but the folder size reporting is weird, just weird. See attached...single top level folder is reported as 465Gb - folders within that are larger are reported as such (see pic 5 of 5 in the zip). I...
  10. Folder properties size fluctuating and inaccurate.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder properties size fluctuating and inaccurate.: Folder properties sometimes gives accurate size and count but mostly just one of the internal folders and sometimes impossible readings like 45TB for a 17gb folder. This problem first occurred on a new Seagate Expansion Drive then on data transferred back to my main...