Windows 10: Search from open programs / prevent opening a new window / group apps in task bar

Discus and support Search from open programs / prevent opening a new window / group apps in task bar in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi! So, because of work reasons, i needed to jump into Windows 10 from osx/linux. I'm losing my mind with the multitasking, please help! As a coder,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bfr_, Jun 3, 2020.

1. /u/bfr_ Win User

Search from open programs / prevent opening a new window / group apps in task bar

Hi!

So, because of work reasons, i needed to jump into Windows 10 from osx/linux. I'm losing my mind with the multitasking, please help!

As a coder, i'm used to using keyboard for everything and open or switch programs by pressing cmd+space and then search by typing the beginning of the app name and then enter. Now, this works fine on Windows too, just press the "start" -button and start typing. However, instead of say, switching to the open excel or chrome, it opens a new window every time!. As a result, i now have million open apps, the taskbar is cluttered to useless state and some programs even refuse to open because "there is already xxx running".

Is there anyway to change this behaviour so that it would jump to open app or ATLEAST group the apps in the task bar(forgive if i'm using incorrect terms, the bar in the bottom center) so that i don't see gazillion notepad++'s there but instead one instance of everything i have open?

This is really affecting my productivity, all tips are welcome! Thank you!

submitted by /u/bfr_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bfr_, Jun 3, 2020

2. Edge won't open and search the web and windows box in task bar won't work

Hi,

Which update was installed recently?

You may check for the issue following these steps:

Within the Settings app, click Update and Security, then 'Advanced Options' (in windows update), then 'View Your Upgrade History'.

We would suggest you to try these steps

If you have tried the command once and if that didn't fix, you will have to try these steps once again:

• Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:
      • Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
      • Click File > Run New Task
      • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
      • Type CMD
    • Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow
    • If the above commands both completed and show no remaining issues, run these commands:

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Get back if you still face an issue and we will be glad to assist.

Ravinath P, Jun 3, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Defender - How to make it default to task bar?

Using Windows 10 and currently I am using Defender for anti virus. For whatever reason Windows Defender does not show up in the task bar unless I search for the program or right click and scan a file/folder. Is there a way to force Defender to show up in the task bar at start up?

Flogger23m, Jun 3, 2020
  4. Search from open programs / prevent opening a new window / group apps in task bar

Windows 10. Every time I open a new program from the task bar the new window is opened in the rear.

Windows 10 isue. Every time I open a new program from the task bar the new window is open in the rear and I have to close/reduce what every program is in the foreground. Its driving me nuts!!! thank you for any help you can give me.

ChristianCollison, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

Search from open programs / prevent opening a new window / group apps in task bar

1. Search from open programs / prevent opening a new window / group apps in task bar - Similar Threads - Search open programs

2. windows search bar is not working and apps on my task bar wont open i ahve to open it...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows search bar is not working and apps on my task bar wont open i ahve to open it...: i have tried everything to troubleshooting through Windows and resting window explore through task manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-bar-is-not-working-and-apps-on-my/9e825b79-2d6c-44c4-918f-04190286e425
  3. windows search bar is not working and apps on my task bar wont open i ahve to open it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows search bar is not working and apps on my task bar wont open i ahve to open it...: i have tried everything to troubleshooting through Windows and resting window explore through task manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-bar-is-not-working-and-apps-on-my/9e825b79-2d6c-44c4-918f-04190286e425
  4. windows search bar is not working and apps on my task bar wont open i ahve to open it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Grouped Task Bar Apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Grouped Task Bar Apps: Just an idea that would come in handy for Windows 11e.g. group adobe apps in a folder on the taskbarThanks- Tim https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grouped-task-bar-apps/cf448275-2030-4839-83e7-cb8317c12cce
  6. Grouped Task Bar Apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Grouped Task Bar Apps: Just an idea that would come in handy for Windows 11e.g. group adobe apps in a folder on the taskbarThanks- Tim https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/grouped-task-bar-apps/cf448275-2030-4839-83e7-cb8317c12cce
  7. Programs won't open from Task Bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs won't open from Task Bar: I'm using an HP desktop, i7, 360GHz, 10MB mem, 1TB hdd, win 10.I I chose the wrong forum, please move and let me knowThis morning when I tried to open several internet links from the task bar I get the following warning:It seems to apply only to those associated with Edge. I...
  8. Programs opening, but will not maximize from the Task Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs opening, but will not maximize from the Task Bar: I have been round and round with Microsoft. Whenever I plug in a second monitor my programs will not maximize. They are open on the taskbar, but I cannot open them to full size. Yes my computer is updated, spent all day today installing updates. Does anyone know what the...
  9. Program Open in Task Bar But not Visible on Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Program Open in Task Bar But not Visible on Screen: I usually use more than one monitor, but am travelling with just my laptop now. My computer is acting like there is still another monitor, but no other monitors are detected in settings. When I open a program, it shows open in the task bar, but is not showing on my screen. I...
  10. circles on task bar opening programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    circles on task bar opening programs: I have blinking circles on my task bar opening up programs and not allowing me to use my mouse to control anything. This is after Windows 10 update. Help Please!...