Windows 10: Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10.

Discus and support Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro version 22H2, and I am the administrator and only user of this computer. For a few months now, I have had a problem with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by justaddorangejuice, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10.

I am running Windows 10 Pro version 22H2, and I am the administrator and only user of this computer. For a few months now, I have had a problem with searching in File Explorer where it would search very slowly. But now for the last couple of weeks, searching has become impossible in File Explorer and even the start menu. In the start menu, I used to be able to start typing to find programs, but now nothing happens when I type. In File Explorer, when I try to search anything in the search bar, I first click the search bar and then either one of two things happen. 1 The search bar flashes gra

:)

justaddorangejuice, Aug 1, 2023
  2. DHRUV_X Win User

Search function not working on windows 10.

Hello everyone, I have a question about the search function not working on windows 10.

It is not working in the Windows Start, not in the search icon(crashing in a couple of seconds), not in Windows Explorer.

Things that I've tried :-

• Restarting Search service both in task manager and Services
    • Rebuilding search index
    • Troubleshooting search and indexing
    • Command Prompts - Scanhealth, Restorehealth, sfc /scannow
    • The Powershell one - Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Coping ctfmon.exe to Shell: startup
    Thank you in advance for your help!

DHRUV_X, Aug 1, 2023
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 search function not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type Services.msc In the search box.

• Select Windows Search

• Restart the services and set the service as Automatic

Method 1: Run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing
      troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Aug 1, 2023
  4. Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10.

Windows 10 Search function not working at all

Hi,

Please reply to a few questions to understand the issue better:

• Are you facing similar issue as the OP?

• Are you not able to find “view all” in the troubleshooter window?

• If you are facing the similar issue as the OP, did you try the suggestion posted
      emTrebe’s?

If you do not find “view all”, follow the steps below to run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter
    and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      troubleshooter and select the top most search result.

• Click on System and security
      from the right side panel of the screen.

• Select Search and Indexing,
      click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.

• Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.

• After the troubleshooting is complete, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

If haven’t tried, follow the suggestion posted by emTrebe on
    May 11, 2016 and check if it helps in resolving the issue.

Write to us for further assistance on search function not working on the computer for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 1, 2023
Thema:

Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10.

1. Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10. - Similar Threads - Search function few

2. Search function and start button not working on Windows 11, as well as other functions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search function and start button not working on Windows 11, as well as other functions.: I have tried restarting my computer, but it hasn't fixed the problem. Whenever I sign in, I'm unable to press the windows key. The taskbar is also missing, but after a few minutes it appears with the start button and search bar not working. I can click on some of the...
  3. Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10.: I am running Windows 10 Pro version 22H2, and I am the administrator and only user of this computer. For a few months now, I have had a problem with searching in File Explorer where it would search very slowly. But now for the last couple of weeks, searching has become...
  4. Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search function and a few other things do not work in Windows 10.: I am running Windows 10 Pro version 22H2, and I am the administrator and only user of this computer. For a few months now, I have had a problem with searching in File Explorer where it would search very slowly. But now for the last couple of weeks, searching has become...
  5. Search function not working on windows 10.

in Cortana
    Search function not working on windows 10.: Hello everyone, I have a question about the search function not working on windows 10.It is not working in the Windows Start, not in the search iconcrashing in a couple of seconds, not in Windows Explorer. Things that I've tried :-Restarting Search service both in task...
  6. Search function not working on windows 10.

Search function not working on windows 10.: Hello everyone, I have a question about the search function not working on windows 10.It is not working in the Windows Start, not in the search iconcrashing in a couple of seconds, not in Windows Explorer. Things that I've tried :-Restarting Search service both in task...
  7. Windows Icon and a few other things not working Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Icon and a few other things not working Windows 11: My windows Icon doesn't work. Got a new Asus laptop a couple weeks ago with the function keys F1-F12 just not working along with the windows icon. Then the icon worked for like 2 days before stopping again. I think it was from me updating the laptop but I'm not 100% sure on...
  8. Windows Icon and a few other things not working Windows 11

Windows Icon and a few other things not working Windows 11: My windows Icon doesn't work. Got a new Asus laptop a couple weeks ago with the function keys F1-F12 just not working along with the windows icon. Then the icon worked for like 2 days before stopping again. I think it was from me updating the laptop but I'm not 100% sure on...
  9. Windows 10 search function not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 search function not working: Hi, After updating my windows to 1903, my windows search is not working at all. When i go to type something in, the tab is blank and nothing I type has any response. I created a temporary account and signed into that one and it works perfectly fine, but on my account it...
  10. Windows 10 search function is not working.

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search function is not working.: Nothing happens when I try to use the search function on my Windows 10 laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-function-is-not-working/f240d2f8-7f03-4e53-a915-6fcb7004e352"