Windows 10: Search function in search bar and file explorer not working after feature update 2004

Discus and support Search function in search bar and file explorer not working after feature update 2004 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all As per title, I also am aware of the solutions in Reddit regarding this problem, but they don't work for me as well. I've tried creating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/jl0xd, Aug 2, 2020.

1. /u/jl0xd Win User

Search function in search bar and file explorer not working after feature update 2004

Hi all

As per title, I also am aware of the solutions in Reddit regarding this problem, but they don't work for me as well. I've tried creating registry to disable Bing, restarted my computer, ran sfc /scannow, rebuilding index, using troubleshooter (it couldn't identify the issue, as always), so I'm kinda lost here.

To be specific, the issue surfaced after I updated to feature update 2004, while there's a big suspicion that the update itself is probably causing this, I've unfortunately deleted the windows.old via disk cleanup in order to free more disk space, so I couldn't roll back.

I couldn't even type into the start menu search (it's still visible though), and at file explorer, everytime I typed a string, the search bar will always display the latest alphabet I've typed, and as expected, pressing enter has no response. At windows settings, I can type into the search bar, but it keeps loading forever whenever I pressed enter.

Does anybody have the same issue, or are there some solutions that I've overlooked?

submitted by /u/jl0xd
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/jl0xd, Aug 2, 2020

2. Search Function on File Explorer is not Working

Hi,

In response to your questions:

1. Did you make any changes to your PC prior to this issue?

Not that I am aware of.

2. Can you type in the search bar when you do not click on the Start button?

The search button on the task bar works - it is the search box on file explorer that is not functioning

Search function in search bar and file explorer not working after feature update 2004 c2c1fe5f-5306-4cb2-9dc7-b2a07fe3713b.png

3. What troubleshooting steps have to tried to fix the issue?

Confirmed file explorer options are set to default

Indexing Options - the only exclusion is against OS(CSearch function in search bar and file explorer not working after feature update 2004 :) and that is Data; AppData; AppData

4. Does the issue occur when you are performing or running certain specific in the background?

The issue occurs even when only 1 File Explorer Window is open and task manager is not showing other programs running.

Re Method One - the search box in the control panel does not work. I opened via viewing as icons

and used both the default Files don't appear in search results and Search Function on File Explorer is not working as both a user and an administrator which led to explore additonal information which led to this website.

Re Method Two - response was

• Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Updates show the device is up to date.

Previously, as I typed into the search box, it would start searching at the first keystroke and now nothing.

Any more help will be appreciated.

Dragonfly171, Aug 2, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Aug 2, 2020
  4. Search function in search bar and file explorer not working after feature update 2004

Windows Search Stopped Working after Windows 10 Feature Update Version 2004.

I have just updated to the latest feature update of Windows 10 version 2004. After completion I found that the Windows Search in Windows Explorer was not working. I cannot input anything in the search toolbar. Tried all methods of resetting Windows Search
    using Windows Powershell Batch File. Not working with the Windows 10 Version 2004 update. Kindly recommend solution.

AshishGupta_152, Aug 2, 2020
Thema:

Search function in search bar and file explorer not working after feature update 2004

1. Search function in search bar and file explorer not working after feature update 2004 - Similar Threads - Search function search

2. Search Bar Function Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Bar Function Not Working: Hello: my search bar continues to not work. I have tried all of the methods within the community. What is strange is that I am able to paste in text; however, the actual keyboard will not type into the search box. This is extremely frustrating. Please help!...
  3. Search Bar Function Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Bar Function Not Working: Hello: my search bar continues to not work. I have tried all of the methods within the community. What is strange is that I am able to paste in text; however, the actual keyboard will not type into the search box. This is extremely frustrating. Please help!...
  4. Search Bar and Explorer not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar and Explorer not working: Two days ago I was navigating through my files then out of nowhere the Explorer crashed, I tried to open it again only for it to crash seconds after opening the folder again. While trying to fix the problem I also discovered that my Search Bar closed before I was able to type...
  5. Search function in File Explorer is not working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in File Explorer is not working correctly: step to reproduce: 1, in any folder, create a file named "ConfigurationManager.txt" 2, search "manager" 3, result is nothing how can I fix this?...
  6. windows 10 search bar not working or search in file explorer

in Cortana
    windows 10 search bar not working or search in file explorer: windows 10 search bar not working or search in file explorer did sfc dism https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-bar-not-working-or-search-in/7439bec3-97fa-4e3d-b4fd-946e6db94014
  7. Windows Explorer search bar not working after 2004 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer search bar not working after 2004 update: Today i just updated my win10 to ver 2004 with the new search bar but turns oit it was a disaster I tried to search a file and it result nothing just "The folder is empty" while is not, i try to manually search file and it's still there but the search bar can find it. I...
  8. Search not working after the 2004 update

in Cortana
    Search not working after the 2004 update: I installed the 2004 update from the settings app, and having done that, the search option has simply stopped working. I tried resetting it with the PowerShell script, to no avail. The Windows troubleshooter and the sfc /scannow command cannot find any problems, but the...
  9. File explorer search feature

File explorer search feature: Hello, It has been 2 updates or so since it doesn't work how it used to. Before, when I went into my file explorer and type something on the search bar on the top right corner, it would search on all my hard drives I have 7 of them. Now I have to manually enter in each...
  10. File Explorer search bar not working

File Explorer search bar not working: I've noticed this issue yesterday. When I try to search something in my File Explorer it looks like it's searching but the green bar seems to go on forever. I left it up for an hour and it was still searching when I came back. I even tried to look for files that I knew were...