Windows 10: Search function in Windows Start

Discus and support Search function in Windows Start in Cortana to solve the problem; By default I used to be able to find programmes by simply typing the name of the programme in the Start Menu. This functionality has mysteriously... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by GauravRege1, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Search function in Windows Start

By default I used to be able to find programmes by simply typing the name of the programme in the Start Menu. This functionality has mysteriously disappeared in the last couple in weeks. Any ideas on how to re-establish it please?

:)

GauravRege1, Jul 10, 2020
  2. MattCorey Win User

My search is not functioning

1. Use the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
    2. If you see only a handful programs listed by it click on the "more details" link.
    3. Locate "Cortana" under background processes.
    4. Right-click on the process and select "end task" from the context menu.
    The Cortana process is reloaded right away by the operating system.

i strongly suggest u to follow step by step fix with pictures on Fix Windows 10 Search Not Working Easily (2020 Guide) | Geek's Advice

MattCorey, Jul 10, 2020
  3. search function

Hello,

A possible cause of this issue is a corrupted index. To help you resolve the issue, we suggest rebuilding the
    Windows Search Index. Rebuilding the
    Windows Search Index will get rid of corruptions. For the steps on how to perform this procedure, please follow the steps below.

• Click the Start button.
    • Type Indexing Options.
    • Select Indexing Options.
    • Click Advanced. Click Yes, if prompted or enter the administrative password.
    • Go to Index Settings tab.
    • Click Rebuild.
    • Wait for the process to finish.
    The process may take a while to finish depending on your PC.

Please respond back with the results.

Devlin Sco, Jul 10, 2020
  4. jbailey8 Win User

Search function in Windows Start

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Search function in Windows Start

1. Search function in Windows Start - Similar Threads - Search function Start

2. Search function and start button not working on Windows 11, as well as other functions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function and start button not working on Windows 11, as well as other functions.: I have tried restarting my computer, but it hasn't fixed the problem. Whenever I sign in, I'm unable to press the windows key. The taskbar is also missing, but after a few minutes it appears with the start button and search bar not working. I can click on some of the...
  3. Search function and start button not working on Windows 11, as well as other functions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search function and start button not working on Windows 11, as well as other functions.: I have tried restarting my computer, but it hasn't fixed the problem. Whenever I sign in, I'm unable to press the windows key. The taskbar is also missing, but after a few minutes it appears with the start button and search bar not working. I can click on some of the...
  4. Windows search function

in Cortana
    Windows search function: My windows taskbar can't search anything, it crashes instantly and consistently regardless of how many times I try to search anything, the file explorer search function is also broken in the same way, windows troubleshooting could not find any problems with the system, when I...
  5. Start menu and Search function not accessible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and Search function not accessible: Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Build: 19042.985Hi;after the last Windows update 14/5 I cannot access my Start menu, nor use the search function. I am not sure if the update is the cause or not.Here is what I have tried so far:1. Restarting the computer.2. Ran SFC utility corrupt...
  6. Start Menu, Search Bar, Windows Store not functioning

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Start Menu, Search Bar, Windows Store not functioning: Good day, I recently tinkered around with folder/app permissions while trying to download some software, and it seems I broke a few things along the way. I am currently unable to use the start button on the bottom left pressing the windows Key doesnt work either, I cannot...
  7. Windows search function

in Cortana
    Windows search function: Earlier this month I had good advice from JohnDev about updating an elderly laptop and the non-working Window search function. I though I'd solved that problem but things haven't quite turned out as I'd hoped. The laptop Compaq Presario V6500 with 4Gb RAM is now running...
  8. Windows search not functioning

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search not functioning: Is it only me or others are also having problems. my windows search is not working when i type in some app name...even fully it's only showing files but not apps...can someone please help me with this? Thanks.... I'm a windows insider...btw...up to date... updated. submitted...
  9. Lost Start menu search function

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost Start menu search function: I'm creating a custom image of Windows 10 Pro and am implementing my usual settings, programs and tweaks as I have with prior versions of Windows. I'm sure I'll have a few other questions along the way as I complete this task but my main problem is my Search function in...
  10. Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu and Search/Cortana do not function: Sometimes Start menu and Search/Cortana buttons become frozen and only after hard boot they work. 19756