Windows 10: Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF

Discus and support Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The search function in windows explorer gets grayed out when trying to use Microsoft print to PDF. This used to work before and now has stopped. Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Demonlord4lf, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF

The search function in windows explorer gets grayed out when trying to use Microsoft print to PDF. This used to work before and now has stopped. Is there anything that could've caused this to happen?

:)

Demonlord4lf, Feb 12, 2020
  2. Erika Aro Win User

Microsoft "Print to PDF" prints out Garbage

Hi,

To better assist you regarding Microsoft Print to PDF, we just have a few questions for you:

• What are the documents that you're trying to save as a PDF file?
    • Can you provide us a step-by-step screenshot of how you print your documents as PDF?

Erika Aro, Feb 12, 2020
  3. Suman_B Win User
    Print to PDF not working in Windows 10.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to try the following methods and check:

I suggest you to refer to suggestions from
    Kristine Arp
    replied on January 13, 2018 and check:
    Microsoft Print to PDF is not working.

Additionally follow the below steps.

Method 1: Check the User folder.

Edge sometimes saves the PDF documents to the default directory automatically. If you don’t see the save dialog while using Microsoft Edge, make sure to check
    C:Users%username% folder for saved PDF files.

There are instances Edge stores saved PDF file in
    UserDocuments
    folder automatically, so make sure that you check it as well.

Method 2:
    Update the printer driver

If replacing the printer driver didn’t solve the problem, you might as well try to update the current one. In case you don’t know how to do that, just follow these instructions:

1. Go to Search, type devicemngr, and open Device Manager.
    2. Expan Print queues.
    3. Right-click Microhsoft Print to PDF, and go to
      Update driver.
    4. Follow further on-screen instructions.
    5. Restart your computer.

Please refer to Print to PDF tutorial.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Feb 12, 2020
  4. Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF

Print to PDF missing in Printer List

Hi William,

We suggest that you disable and re-enable the Print to PDF feature. Here are the steps:

• Click on the Start menu and type in Windows Features.
    • Choose Turn Windows features on or off.
    • On the next window, find Microsoft Print to PDF and disable it. Click
      OK to save changes.
    • Restart your PC.
    • Repeat the same steps to re-enable Microsoft Print to PDF.
    If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps suggested on the link below under
    Advanced:

Fix printer problems

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF

1. Search function not working when trying to save with Print to PDF - Similar Threads - Search function working

2. Documents saved using Print to PDF function give access denied when opened.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents saved using Print to PDF function give access denied when opened.: I am hoping someone can offer some insight outside of the usual suspects as to why this might be. I have a customer who uses the print to PDF function to save files on to the organizations shared drive for easy consumption by others at the organization. After a recent Windows...
  3. Documents saved using Print to PDF function give access denied when opened.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents saved using Print to PDF function give access denied when opened.: I am hoping someone can offer some insight outside of the usual suspects as to why this might be. I have a customer who uses the print to PDF function to save files on to the organizations shared drive for easy consumption by others at the organization. After a recent Windows...
  4. Documents saved using Print to PDF function give access denied when opened.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working: "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not workingWhen I select "microsoft print to pdf" or "save as pdf" from various applications, that application hangs up and has to be aborted....
  6. "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working: "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not workingWhen I select "microsoft print to pdf" or "save as pdf" from various applications, that application hangs up and has to be aborted....
  7. "save as pdf", "microsoft print to pdf" functions not working

8. Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file

Search window opens when I try "print" to a pdf file: For some time, Windows 10's Search function has been behaving in a totally wacky way. Explorer gets STUCK in "search" mode for no good reason. example: I print a file to .pdf, and rather than opening a "save" window from which to choose where to save the file, the computer...
  9. Printing/not saving PDF documents

Printing/not saving PDF documents: I don't know what changed on my computer, but I can no longer just print PDF documents. It makes me save them first. I can't figure out how to correct this. Help!...
  10. Problem printing to PDF and saving PDF documents

Problem printing to PDF and saving PDF documents: I am experiencing problems with Win 10 TP to save any office document to a PDF format and also to print them to PDF document using virtual printers like Nitro PDF and PDF Creator. Any solutions to this issue? 3523