Windows 10: Search function not working

Discus and support Search function not working in Cortana to solve the problem; Today my search function stopped working. When i try to type something in the search bar, it just crashes - same thing when i try to look for something... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Aleksandra Ryczko, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Search function not working

Today my search function stopped working. When i try to type something in the search bar, it just crashes - same thing when i try to look for something in the file explorer or just by pressing windows key and typing.I have tried to solve it for the past couple hours, tried multiple solutions found online. Managed to uninstall cortana, hoping that reinstall will help me since apparently she's very intertwined with search funcion, but i cannot find it in microsoft store to install it again. Powershell command does nothing. I do not even have SearchUI.exe in my task manager.Search function works

:)

Aleksandra Ryczko, Jan 31, 2023
  2. MattCorey Win User

My search is not functioning

1. Use the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
    2. If you see only a handful programs listed by it click on the "more details" link.
    3. Locate "Cortana" under background processes.
    4. Right-click on the process and select "end task" from the context menu.
    The Cortana process is reloaded right away by the operating system.

i strongly suggest u to follow step by step fix with pictures on Fix Windows 10 Search Not Working Easily (2023 Guide) | Geek's Advice

MattCorey, Jan 31, 2023
  3. ginGammel Win User
    Search function in Win10

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but as I stated in my previous message, I whitnessed this behaviour on various machines. Can you confirm that the search function works fine on your PC when repeating the same steps I described?

ginGammel, Jan 31, 2023
  4. Search function not working

Windows 10 Search function not working at all

Hi,

Please reply to a few questions to understand the issue better:

• Are you facing similar issue as the OP?

• Are you not able to find “view all” in the troubleshooter window?

• If you are facing the similar issue as the OP, did you try the suggestion posted
      emTrebe’s?

If you do not find “view all”, follow the steps below to run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter
    and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      troubleshooter and select the top most search result.

• Click on System and security
      from the right side panel of the screen.

• Select Search and Indexing,
      click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.

• Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.

• After the troubleshooting is complete, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

If haven’t tried, follow the suggestion posted by emTrebe on
    May 11, 2016 and check if it helps in resolving the issue.

Write to us for further assistance on search function not working on the computer for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 31, 2023
Thema:

Search function not working

1. Search function not working - Similar Threads - Search function working

2. Search Bar Function Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Bar Function Not Working: Hello: my search bar continues to not work. I have tried all of the methods within the community. What is strange is that I am able to paste in text; however, the actual keyboard will not type into the search box. This is extremely frustrating. Please help!...
  3. Search Bar Function Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Bar Function Not Working: Hello: my search bar continues to not work. I have tried all of the methods within the community. What is strange is that I am able to paste in text; however, the actual keyboard will not type into the search box. This is extremely frustrating. Please help!...
  4. Windows Search function not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search function not working: On my Win 11 PC the search is not working. When I click on the search icon in the lower left, nothing happens. If I click on the Windows key and then try to type in the area which says "Type Here to search" nothing happens except that a Win 11 app is highlighted.Please advise...
  5. Windows Search function not working

Windows Search function not working: On my Win 11 PC the search is not working. When I click on the search icon in the lower left, nothing happens. If I click on the Windows key and then try to type in the area which says "Type Here to search" nothing happens except that a Win 11 app is highlighted.Please advise...
  6. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function not working: Today my search function stopped working. When i try to type something in the search bar, it just crashes - same thing when i try to look for something in the file explorer or just by pressing windows key and typing.I have tried to solve it for the past couple hours, tried...
  7. Search function not working

Search function not working: Today my search function stopped working. When i try to type something in the search bar, it just crashes - same thing when i try to look for something in the file explorer or just by pressing windows key and typing.I have tried to solve it for the past couple hours, tried...
  8. Search function not working,...

in Cortana
    Search function not working,...: I only have 1 account on my PC and I realized that from some time ago the search function was unable to search settings or other windows functions, only files, and I did what the internet told me to do and navigated to...
  9. Searching function not working

in Cortana
    Searching function not working: Hello, My PC is in Win10. While I would like to open an app e.g calculator, I push win key then type "Calculator" but the searching box doesn't show anything like it does before: [ATTACH] How to fix this?...
  10. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Search function not working: Hello, When I type anything in the search, nothing shows up. really frustrating, what can I do to fix it? Thanks 28935