Windows 10: Search function windows 10

Discus and support Search function windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a problem with the windows 10 search function. None of my epub files is found. file: epub no result, ext: epub no result, *.epub no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BillBo38, Aug 10, 2017.

1. BillBo38 Win User

Search function windows 10

I have a problem with the windows 10 search function.
    None of my epub files is found.
    file: epub no result,
    ext: epub no result,
    *.epub no result,
    Tried to change the app being used from calibre to edge no result

Any suggestions, please.

:)

BillBo38, Aug 10, 2017

2. windows 10 search function

Hi,

Thank you for the update and I apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to run Search and Indexing troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the troubleshooter from the below link and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Aug 10, 2017
  3. cnichol7 Win User
    windows 10 search function

Hi,

I have turned off the search to include internet results but I am still having trouble brining anything at all back in the search bar.

I also know I have no connectivity issues and I just bought the laptop yesterday.

Is there anything else that it could possibly be?

Thank you

Claire

cnichol7, Aug 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, are you using Cortana search or file explorer search?

Note the Cortana search bar really requires you to specify document search (options at the top of the window- see below).
    Further, it will only find indexed documents.

Are you sure your epub docs have been indexed?

Were epub documents being found, and now not? If so, are they in the same folder?

I have just created a dummy epub doct in an indexed folder on H: and as you can see it's been found:

Search function windows 10 [​IMG]

dalchina, Aug 10, 2017
  5. Stevekir Win User
    I had a problem with Windows not finding some files and I discovered Windows will not detect a file whose name includes some characters such as "and&", "and amp", "." and others. (I'm not sure if I remember the troublesome characters accurately.)

Stevekir, Aug 10, 2017
  6. BillBo38 Win User
    Hi everyone.
    Thanks for the suggestions, but
    . when I search for *.* in the directory everything is found, but not when I look for *.epub - zilch.
    . I am also looking for text inside a file and I do not know how to do that except with file search.

I changed the default app from calibre to edge with no better result

BillBo38, Aug 11, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    1. The file must be in a folder which is indexed.
    2. This must be ticked for the folder of interest

3. This must be selected

These are the default settings. You should not need to alter them.

4. For content indexing to work for a file type, you need the appropriate 'ifilter' installed.
    That indexing filter is what allows search to 'read' a file of that type.

Notice 'Microsoft Office Filter' next to doc.

In a very few cases you may need to search for and install a filter yourself.
    An example I've found was Office documents (I don't have Office installed) and pdf documents. (By default, Windows has an ifilter for these, but installing other readers makes that hard to restore without a registry hack).

5. If using file explorer, that must be open 'above' the file of interest in the file tree.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search function windows 10 - Similar Threads - Search function

2. My search function next to my start button will not stay open for longer than a second.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My search function next to my start button will not stay open for longer than a second.: This has been an issue for how many people for years and still not something that's fixed?I can't even open the start bar. I've reset searchhost.exe. I've updated my computer as much as possible. There are people with BRAND NEW computers that are regularly documenting this...
  3. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  4. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  5. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 11 search function ignores files of a specific extension.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 search function ignores files of a specific extension.: Windows 11 Home Single Language, Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631. The search function ignores all files with .clip extension used by the Clip Studio Paint program, if that is relevant. I have: - Made sure that the folders are included in indexing options. - Manually added...
  7. Windows 11 search function ignores files of a specific extension.

Windows 11 search function ignores files of a specific extension.: Windows 11 Home Single Language, Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631. The search function ignores all files with .clip extension used by the Clip Studio Paint program, if that is relevant. I have: - Made sure that the folders are included in indexing options. - Manually added...
  8. Search Bar Function Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Bar Function Not Working: Hello: my search bar continues to not work. I have tried all of the methods within the community. What is strange is that I am able to paste in text; however, the actual keyboard will not type into the search box. This is extremely frustrating. Please help!...
  9. Search Bar Function Not Working

Search Bar Function Not Working: Hello: my search bar continues to not work. I have tried all of the methods within the community. What is strange is that I am able to paste in text; however, the actual keyboard will not type into the search box. This is extremely frustrating. Please help!...
  10. Updated Windows - Most Pinned Apps on Start Gone, Search Barely Functioning

Updated Windows - Most Pinned Apps on Start Gone, Search Barely Functioning: I just updated Windows tonight and most of my pinned apps on the start menu were gone. I tried searching for them with the search bar but it's unable to find anything. I ran through all the common fixes for the search bar but it still cannot find all the apps. I know some of...