Windows 10: Search in Photos app

Discus and support Search in Photos app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I transferred all my photos to OneDrive and changed the system pictures folder to the pictures folder in OneDrive. I made sure the folder is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by dolevhadi, Sep 11, 2018.

1. dolevhadi Win User

Search in Photos app

Hi,

I transferred all my photos to OneDrive and changed the system pictures folder to the pictures folder in OneDrive.

I made sure the folder is listed in the Photos app, but all the photos disappeared from the Photos app. I have waited for 40 minutes hoping it will be appear - but nothing.

Finally it came back when I checked the option to show online files from OneDrive. It is a bad solution because there are two options: one - showing photos from all OneDrive, two - showing only photos from the pictures folder in OneDrive.

The pictures folder of OneDrive is not the folder I'm using (still showing nothing), and showing all photos is not what I want.

Also, working "online" while all the photos are located locally on my computer - is too slow and very unnecessary. I couldn't even right-click on a photo and open file location (because it's on OneDrive).

Although, after I unchecked the option to show online files from OneDrive, I saw all my photos from the right folders as listet on the app settings (and could right-click to show folder location), so now it's ok.

The problem now is that in-app search is not working anymore. It doesn't show indexing progress, doesn't suggest face tagging and all functionality of search.

I tried to restart search service, to rebuild index, fix the app in windows settings, reset the app and reboot computer, but nothing helped.

Is there any way to force and restart the app indexing?

Thanks!

:)

dolevhadi, Sep 11, 2018
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done *Smile I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Sep 11, 2018
  3. Make Photo Moto default photo app?

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Sorry to know that the issue persists. I suggest you to search for it in Search and pin it to Start Menu.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Go to search and type Photo Moto app. Right-click on it to pin it to Start menu.
    • Go to Search. Type Settings. Click on it open.
    • Click on System. Click on Default apps. Then follow the instructions from the link below to set Photo Moto as default app for Photos.
    Choose the apps Windows uses by default:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/choose-programs-windows-uses-default

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 11, 2018
  4. Search in Photos app

WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Sep 11, 2018
Thema:

Search in Photos app

1. Search in Photos app - Similar Threads - Search Photos app

2. Search for photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search for photos: How to search for only all photos taken on a specific date through past years? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-for-photos/f69f85d6-324c-4425-ab44-4721cb389486
  3. No search in the photos app

No search in the photos app: Hi On one laptop the photos app has a search and on another, it doesn't. I have installed the media engine add on and no change. Anyone know how I can get the search to appear? Thanks...
  4. Photo app crashes when search photo file informations

Photo app crashes when search photo file informations: Hi. For a few days I have had a problem with the photos application on Windows 10 (20H2 SO 19042.630), which is as follows: The application works without problems, but when I try to see photo file information the application crashes. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled...
  5. Photos App search in SharePoint

Photos App search in SharePoint: Hello all, Maybe someone can help me regarding if it is possible to customize Photos App. We had stored thousands of images on a SharePoint folder, and tagged keywords for each image to create a "image-search-engine" of our own using SharePoint. However sometimes, the...
  6. windows photos app crashing when searching for photos.

windows photos app crashing when searching for photos.: Hi all My windows photos app is crashing when trying to search for photo's on my Iphone 11 , I am only trying to take around 1500 photos from it and still crashes. I see i am not the only one having this problem. I have tried everything to get it up and running. any...
  7. MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos

MS Photos app freezing while searching for new photos: I am attempting to move files from my iPhone X to my Windows 10 laptop via the Photos app. I have done this numerous times in the past including recently. I plugged in my phone via USB cable, the photos app opens and begins searching for new photos and videos, it finds what...
  8. Photos - Search

Photos - Search: Since Windows Photos dont have tags and you cant make nest albums , I made albums like that TRIP - NEW YORK, TRIP - BARCELONA, TRIP - LONDON ... Have more than 300 albums. But now when I type (for example) trip in search bar, I get only 3 items in 3 albums back. How can i get...
  9. Win10 Photos App - How to Search?

Win10 Photos App - How to Search?: I am seriously thinking of using MS's Photo App as the backbone of my new photo library effort. I've read that there is a new Photo App available and that is does facial recognition, which is a big deal for me. So, on my Win10 machine, I opened the Photos app and pointed...
  10. Photos app search is slow

Photos app search is slow: Does anyone find the native photo app slow when it build it search. I opened it yesterday and top right was search and a blue bar moving up very slowly. I know it’s building some kind of index and I have a couple thousand photos but on machine of my spec it seemed very slow....