Windows 10: search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working

Discus and support search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, no idea why but typing in my start menu and search box suddenly doesn't work. Oddly after playing around with powershell and some tips online... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/geeky-hawkes, Feb 5, 2020.

1. search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working

Hello,

no idea why but typing in my start menu and search box suddenly doesn't work. Oddly after playing around with powershell and some tips online (see below) I have gone from nothing appearing in the search box when I type to only the first character of whatever I type in appearing:

Press start key (or click menu) type gimp only g appears in the search box, pause for a second no search results and then search box closes.

What have I tried:

BingSearchEnabled 0 in regedit (no change)

searching and indexer troubleshooter - no issues found

confirmed C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe is running

powershell: $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

powershell: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

restarted PC - no change

running windows 10 1909 OX Build 18363.592

Thoughts welcome- I don't want to reinstall just to fix this but it is killing my workflow!

submitted by /u/geeky-hawkes
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/geeky-hawkes, Feb 5, 2020

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Feb 5, 2020
  3. location of search box on task bar, can't find it

Hello Charlie,

I would be happy to assist you.

From the description provided, I understand that the Search Box option is not available in Windows.

If you want to access search bar which is next to the Start Menu, then I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Right click on Taskbar.

2. Click on Toolbars.

3. Click on Cortana and click on Show Search box

Write to us in case you need further assistance on activating the Search Bar in Windows.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 5, 2020
  4. search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working

No Search Bar in Start Menu

Hello,

My start menu has no search bar. I looked this up on the forum, and one answer was to go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check mark the box for 'Windows Search' -> Reboot.

Problem 1: 'Windows Search' is not on my list of Windows items that can be turned on or off.

Where is the search bar?

Problem 2: I need the search bar to find the Snipping Tool!

Thanks search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working :)

Jon Chelberg, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working

1. search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working - Similar Threads - search start menu

2. Search Box in Task bar not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Box in Task bar not working.: The Search box in my Task Bar suddenly stopped working. It won't let me type anything. does not even show the curser. I tried restarting and it still does not work. I am running Windows 10. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated....
  3. Search Box in Task bar not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Box in Task bar not working.: The Search box in my Task Bar suddenly stopped working. It won't let me type anything. does not even show the curser. I tried restarting and it still does not work. I am running Windows 10. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated....
  4. Search Box in Task bar not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. start button and search bar working on the task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start button and search bar working on the task bar: Hiright someone please help me out here, both of the start button and search bar at the bottom on the task bar are irresponsible. went to settings-personalisation-taskbar and search isn’t even there to click never mind it being off. i don’t know if somethings deleted or...
  6. start menu search bar not working

start menu search bar not working: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or any app it just keep reloading and...
  7. Start menu and search bar not working

Start menu and search bar not working: When I click on start menu or search bar nothing happen's, this is the same when I try to use the windows button to open the start menu but it works for other things such as windows + L to lock the screen. This the same across all account's on my computer even if I create new...
  8. Windows 10 Search Box on Task Bar Not Working

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Box on Task Bar Not Working: The search box to the right of the Windows Button on the task bar stopped working. When I click the cursor into it, a blank box briefly pops above the search box like it usually does when it shows various items but quickly then disappears. The cursor then disappears from...
  9. search box on task bar

search box on task bar: i have no search box on my taskbar and no "show hidden taskbar button" when i right click on the taskbar. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-on-task-bar/25f599a6-b4b1-4f2c-b981-a63516008d53
  10. Start Menu Search Bar

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Bar: Prior versions of windows allowed me to hit the handy-dandy start-menu button, type a document name in the search bar, and recent documents I pulled up with the search words would show up - the charm of that feature was that I could close a document or spreadsheet confident...