Windows 10: Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

Discus and support Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder in Cortana to solve the problem; I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Anuj_Verma, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked.

I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu search, I do not get any result. I am able to search all other folders properly.

I've tried rebuilding the Windows Index but that does not help. I used the Settings app and found that these folders are excluded, and then removed them. However, when I check again after a few minutes, they are back in the excluded list.

System info:

Edition: Windows 10 Home Single Language

Version: 20H2

Installed on: ‎08/‎03/‎2021

OS build: 19042.867

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

:)

Anuj_Verma, Mar 24, 2021
  2. Clock404 Win User

Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

Hello,

My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list.
    The issue persists ever after rebuilding the index. How can I fix this?

Clock404, Mar 24, 2021
  3. How to efficiently exclude .svn and .git folders in Windows 10 indexing?

I have 2 big folders "Projects" and "Studies" with lots of SVN and some GIT projects inside. I had to disable indexing for them entirely, because, due to the sheer amount of files in .svn and .git folders, the quick search in the Start Menu worked very slowly, rendering it useless (and I really use that feature).

The problem is, that since these folders are explicitly excluded from indexing not even regular "slow" file searching works in them and this is quite annoying. And I really need the ability to search my project folders.

Manually excluding each .svn and .git folder could be a solution, but it would be unmaintainable, because there's really many of them.

Can you guys suggest anything? Thanks in advance.

KotBehemot, Mar 24, 2021
  4. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone

Hi Greg and thanks a bunch for answering me. In the Search then Search Windows of settings like I said there was a list of "Excluded Folders" I'm guessing a Windows Search would not search/look in those folders when searching for something in Windows. I
    can only guess they were set up as Excluded Folders by HP or the HP Laptop seller to me. I'm sure there must have been a good reason for those Excluded Folders and I should have never removed or deleted those folders. I noticed when I removed all of the excluded
    folders from Windows Search in Settings that a box popped up and the index numbers started to rise in count really really quick. So I paused indexing. I was afraid the index number would go from about (I can't remember) 20,000 to hundreds of thousands of an
    index number. which I think would really slow a Windows Search down even though I don't know what those index numbers stand for exactly. I'm guessing the index numbers stand for files, folders or both. As the article, your URL took me to on how to rebuild
    your index shows I'm not sure that would help me. When done rebuilding the index, would there be a new list of Excluded Folders in Windows Search? Because that's what I want. I'm sure HP knew exactly what folders to exclude and why. Is there a way to just
    undo my mistake of removing the original list of excluded folders? Like roll back to early yesterday morning and have the exact same list of excluded folders there were then? Or would following the steps of the article and rebuilding my Windows Search Index
    give me a new list of Excluded Folders in the Windows Search?

Respectfully,

Barry

BARRY G.VARGUS Sr., Mar 24, 2021
Thema:

Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

1. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder - Similar Threads - Search index excludes

2. Windows 10 AppData excluded from search index

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 AppData excluded from search index: Hi all. Zoom has installed itself in my AppData folder. When I try to search "zoom" in my start menu, nothing appears. I fiddled with search indexing but it seems AppData is excluded. I don't want to have a shortcut on my desktop, so how can I get Zoom to show up in search...
  3. Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

Search index excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  4. Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Cortana
    Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  5. Excluded indexing folders

Excluded indexing folders: I changed the excluded indexing folders and now I want to return everything to the default state, how i can do this? I mean, reset excluded indexing folders. submitted by /u/TheLerny [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows search excludes directories (especially those that contain a .git folder) by itself.

Windows search excludes directories (especially those that contain a .git folder) by itself.: Problem described above. However, I couldnt find a solution to this anywhere. so anyone here maybe got a solution to this? submitted by /u/Xeadriel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/knpsk5/windows_search_excludes_directories_especially/
  7. Excluding folders in Windows Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Excluding folders in Windows Search: Hi, I'd like to set Windows Search so that the search only searches within the user's C:\Users folder. Alternatively, I'd be happy if the Search searched the whole PC, but excluded the ability to search within other users' folders. I tried setting the Find My Files setting...
  8. exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?

exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?: in windows 7 there was a search option to exclude searching the subfolders too. In windows 10 i cant see any. Now every time i want to search for a file, my computer searches the whole drive for that file and shows all results which have that name. I only want to see the file...
  9. Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded: Hello, My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list. The issue...
  10. Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10 Indexing the content of your PC helps you get faster results when your searching it for files, emails, or other local content....