Windows 10: Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents

Discus and support Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I think I have hit the limit of my knowledge with an issue I'm hitting and figured I would share in case anyone has any insights! I'm currently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by andrewcarvalho, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents

Hello, I think I have hit the limit of my knowledge with an issue I'm hitting and figured I would share in case anyone has any insights! I'm currently running Windows 10.0.19042 on this machine. I am using the Windows Search Index in a powershell script in order to help with some work that requires searching for guid references in a variety of plain text (YAML) files. I have used indexing options to set folders to index, exclude subfolders I don't want indexed, and set up plain text indexing for the target filetypes I want to search. I've noticed consistently inconsistent results for a while. I've tried re-indexing but the results are still consistently inconsistent. What I mean is, certain search terms always return all expected files while will always exclude files that should have been found. It seems that some filetypes that contain search text work with all search terms (meta files in the example below) while others do not (prefab). To confirm this is not just poor scripting on my part, I've tried using the explorer search and the results are identical to what I see returned from my powershell query. This is a case of the index working as expected, with two results, a meta file and a prefab file. Apologies for all the marking out of files, just trying to keep some work somewhat private. In this other case, the meta shows up but the expected prefab file does not And, for thoroughness, the file contents that contain the same GUID in plain text that isn't appearing Any help would be greatly appreciated! The inconsistency is what is throwing me off more than anything else and my lack of knowledge on how exactly files get indexes has me at a loss for how to continue. Feel free to request any additional information that would be helpful, I'm happy to follow up with more details. Thanks!

:)

andrewcarvalho, Jul 29, 2021
  2. Oto_ Win User

Search indexer

Is there a tool in Windows to check search indexer contents? I would like to know what each indexer has actually indexed for each file. For example click on file and get not only properties but list of strings for this file. For email messages it works
    ok but when searching in file contents on disk it mostly doesn't find what should be there.

3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jul 29, 2021
  4. Jan Del Win User

Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents

Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Jul 29, 2021
Thema:

Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents

1. Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents - Similar Threads - Search Index Consistently

2. Search and Indexing Issues

in Cortana
    Search and Indexing Issues: I cannot manage to make Windows 10 search find shortcuts inside "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\".To be more specific, I created a 'test' folder with a 'test.txt' file inside, I put it in several locations and, each time I move it, I select it as the only option...
  3. Search & indexing not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search & indexing not working.: Search & indexing not working & the HELP site from Microsoft Support with the heading Search indexing in Windows 10: FAQ Does Not Help. Using say File Explorer if I search for a file by its name first near the top it reads: Working on it. Then the thinner strip up near the...
  4. search indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  5. search indexing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  6. Search Index

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Index: Sir, I have HP 14s laptop with windows 10 OS and my laptop has been some issue with search index Indexing is not running from few days back and I have to know proper solution to solve this problem. I already done with all step present on Youtube and by HP consultant on...
  7. I need Windows Indexing to index and search all contents

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I need Windows Indexing to index and search all contents: I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, OS Build 19042.1052. I save emails and word documents that apply to projects in a folder for the given project. When I go to search on a keyword or phrase that I know appears in at least some of the documents and emails, I get nothing. I...
  8. File search indexing seems to NOT include contents

in Cortana
    File search indexing seems to NOT include contents: Hello, again, and thank you for reading my post. When I had a WindowsXP PC, it was pretty easy to search a folder and its subfolders, too based on the contents of the files therein such as by asking for a search based on a keyword or other text string. However, with my...
  9. File Search Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  10. Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed: If I disable the setting "allow contents on this drive to be indexed" does it impact the windows search feature? My C drive is an SSD. I have been having issues with windows explorer being very slow on all drive so been researching possible issues. I came across that I...