Windows 10: Search Index using Incorrect Previous Version modified Date

Discus and support Search Index using Incorrect Previous Version modified Date in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is a bit of a strange problem I've come across after I completely reset the search options in Windows 10 1909 18363.900, and rebuilt the index.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BobC_UK, Jun 28, 2020.

1. BobC_UK Win User

Search Index using Incorrect Previous Version modified Date

This is a bit of a strange problem I've come across after I completely reset the search options in Windows 10 1909 18363.900, and rebuilt the index.

No matter if I search via my Documents in my Library which has two locations defined, or via the standard singe 'My Documents' folder, or within a specific folder itself, if the file I search for is included in a folder for which FileHistory is monitoring, and there are more than one previous versions available, the windows search returns a modified date from the history and not the current or actual modified date. I've checked on a couple of files in different directories and there doesn't appear to be any logic as to which previous version modified date is used, but nonetheless it is.

This is confirmed by searching for a modified date range and the results confirm that the index is picking up a prior version's date.

Example:

File in a directory in 'My Documents' for which file history is keeping track.

Search Index using Incorrect Previous Version modified Date 9de053c6-eade-4938-9985-2f7800b2c221?upload=true.png

If I search for the filename, this is returned.

Search Index using Incorrect Previous Version modified Date ec96d56a-efde-4e8a-abaa-e220aeb58bc1?upload=true.png

I have another example where the Modified date is from a previous version in a long list. e.g.

Search Index using Incorrect Previous Version modified Date 3f4e9dc2-b76e-4290-818d-15cfeb3849fa?upload=true.png

If the search is done for Modified Date, it finds the FileHistory Version's date, not the date shown in the normal explorer.

Is this a 'feature'?!

:)

BobC_UK, Jun 28, 2020
  2. Jan Del Win User

Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Jun 28, 2020
  3. GKC468 Win User
    Folder Incorrect Date Modified Information

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a laptop with windows 10 preinstalled on it. After copying files and folders from my old laptop and working on one of the files, I found an issue with date modified information (seems to be observed by others too). The file date
    modified is updated properly but the sub-folders and higher level parent folders still show the old date without updating this information. It basically takes out the purpose of sorting using date modified at folder level if this information is incorrect.
    I have contacted Microsoft support 4 times already with steps ranging from sfcscan to reinstalling windows 10 (upgrade PC with windows 10) and nothing worked. And each time they suggest me to buy their paid support which is not what I would expect from an
    issue with a new laptop. Can anyone who had similar issue and found a solution help me with this? I never had such problems with Windows 7 but I am not liking Windows 10 so far.

Thanks,

Gopi

GKC468, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Search Index using Incorrect Previous Version modified Date

Search by date modified not working - Windows 10

Sorry to say this didn't work for me.

Every end of the year I "archive" all my files which are older than January 1st of the current year.

This worked for decades.

Today I searched all files in my personal directory having a date older that 01/01/2017 by using the following in the search box:

date:<01/01/2017

The search listed only files from some subdirectories but no file from other directories and subdirectories (e.g. no files from my Documents). If I run the search in my Documents directory, the files show up!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

MikeLorusso1, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Search Index using Incorrect Previous Version modified Date

1. Search Index using Incorrect Previous Version modified Date - Similar Threads - Search Index using

2. Version install date is incorrect

in Windows 10 Support
    Version install date is incorrect: I updated successfully to 20H1 today but OS data in settings says this :- EditionWindows 10 Home Version21H1 Installed on‎27/‎09/‎2020 OS build19043.1110 ExperienceWindows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0 That date is before I bought the laptop ! What's going on ? Also...
  3. The DATE MODIFIED is incorrect on every file or document that I save.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The DATE MODIFIED is incorrect on every file or document that I save.: The DATE MODIFIED is incorrect on every file or document that I save. Everything I have downloaded and saved today 03/10/2021 from 9:30am - now - 12:41pm is dated 1/16/2008 with times starting at 4:13pm. Please advise....
  4. Dates modified

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dates modified: I did a factory reset on my laptop, and chose the delete everything, but I still have some files saying they were modified before the factory reset? submitted by /u/Hi_im_joker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lugnqk/dates_modified/
  5. Search for documents created or modified between dates

Search for documents created or modified between dates: Seems like Microsoft disabled this function... can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-for-documents-created-or-modified-between/e8564468-daf5-4aad-b877-9dd690fcd47f
  6. date modified

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    date modified: when Im looking for files it no longer lets me do date modified https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/date-modified/35718835-05a2-4282-8ba9-ed627239b036
  7. Cannot search for files by date modified.

Cannot search for files by date modified.: There are not search options in Windows 10. I cannot find where to select search by date modified: xx/xx/xxxx https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-search-for-files-by-date-modified/8975c3ad-ccd7-43d3-96f7-50aed8abaf3b
  8. Searching for files by date *moved*? (not accessed or modified)

Searching for files by date *moved*? (not accessed or modified): I've recently been moving a lot of pdf files from an "unsorted" folder to others where they are sorted by content. There is one I saw about a week ago I am trying to find again, but none of the search options seem to work for locating it because moving a file from one folder...
  9. search indexer using cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    search indexer using cpu: hello. the search indexer is consumin all my cpu making my pc hot and slow. I have tryed disabling it many times in the services menu but it just still there. the idenxing options is stuck "in waiting to receive indexing status..." dont know what elese to do plis help....
  10. Folder Incorrect Date Modified Information

Folder Incorrect Date Modified Information: Hello everyone, I have recently purchased a laptop with windows 10 preinstalled on it. After copying files and folders from my old laptop and working on one of the files, I found an issue with date modified information (seems to be observed by others too). The file date...