Windows 10: Search indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive

Discus and support Search indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; In my setup, I have Windows and programs running from an SSD (c:) and my media on an HDD (d:). After a reboot, I can access those files by name in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/arc88, Sep 16, 2020.

1. /u/arc88 Win User

Search indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive

In my setup, I have Windows and programs running from an SSD (cSearch indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive :) and my media on an HDD (dSearch indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive :). After a reboot, I can access those files by name in the Start search, but within a few days it either forgets the location (incorrectly listing c:\music instead of d:\music) or forgets they exist entirely. I have rebuilt the index several times but it has not provided a long-term solution.

Any suggestions?

submitted by /u/arc88
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/arc88, Sep 16, 2020
  2. Dalmango Win User

Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Thanks,

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive? - D Drive = Solid State Drive; 1 of 2 internal drives (the other being an optical drive);
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed? - Indexing completed on each attempt of rectification;
    • In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter - Done prior to posting; useless! It does not find any problems.

Dalmango, Sep 16, 2020
  3. Drive missing from indexer search roots

While trying to investigate issues with files not being found by the search indexer, I have noticed that there seems to be an issue with a drive missing from the search roots. Some details that might be important:

• The compute has three internal drives:
      • OS Drive C:, SSD, all the usual system partitions
      • Data drive E:, HDD, two partitions (the other one doesn't need to be indexed)
      • Data drive D:, Storage space, one partition
    • In "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\CrawlScopeManager\Windows\SystemIndex\SearchRoots", only C:\ and D:\ are listed
    • The indexer diagnostics tool lists "file:///C:\" and "file:///E:\" under "Search roots", which contradicts the registry key
    • Under "What is being indexed?", the tool lists only paths starting with C:\ and E:\, where the paths starting with E:\ are on D:\ in reality. The same list for excluded paths appears in the Settings app under "Searching Windows"
    • The "Indexing options" dialog shows both folders on D:\ and E:\ as being indexed (when clicking on "Modify"). In the "Index these locations" view, no location from E:\ is actually listed
    • The search mode is set to "Classic"

What is going on here? Why is the Indexer diagnostics tool confusing D:\ and E:\? Why are locations from E:\ not appearing in the list of locations to index? Is there any way to add a drive to the search roots/let the indexer recreate them entirely?

Please let me know if any additional information is required

IMathe172I, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Search indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive

Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Hi,

There could be a possibility of a corruption in search and indexing. It's also possible that the indexing was not completed yet that's why it's not showing the missing files. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive?
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter and check if it helps to sort out the issue. Go to Control Panel. In the search box, type
    troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Click
    View all, and then select Search and Indexing. Follow the onscreen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

Search indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive ba52b872-de17-476e-87e9-f4e053cd96bd?upload=true.jpg

For any results, just send us a reply.

Eileen Gal, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Search indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive

1. Search indexer forgets files on my second (internal) drive - Similar Threads - Search indexer forgets

2. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  3. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  4. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows search bar forgets indexing after restarting after rebuilding index

in Cortana
    Windows search bar forgets indexing after restarting after rebuilding index: Whenever I rebuild my indexer, windows search works well. But it doesn't search anything in some specific locations I'm not sure here if it does even search at all whenever I restart my PC. Then again if I rebuild the indexer, it again starts searching, but then again...
  6. File Search Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  7. File history - second internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history - second internal hard drive: I have a C drive and a D drive, both internal hard drives. File History is backing up the contents of the D drive, but when I go to the "Restore Files From a Current Backup" function, only the C drive files are shown. I can see from looking at the contents of the external...
  8. Indexing of a second drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing of a second drive: Hi There, I am having indexing problems in that only my C: drive gets indexed and my data drive D: gets ignored. This means that none of the data on D: is included and as this is where my Outlook files are stored, they too don't get included. I have tried rebuilding the...
  9. Indexing of a second drive (New Point)

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing of a second drive (New Point): In the recent topic Indexing of Second Drive Dalchina said:"..... can you confirm that your problem is that you have specified folders to be indexed on your 2Tb drive, and that you can do that in Indexing Options in the Control Panel, but that when you add such locations, the...
  10. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:: dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D: Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on D: and choose proper locations on C:, when indexing starts to rebuild it reverts back to D: I though I had solved by...