Windows 10: Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

Discus and support Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C: in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D: Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drumtrucker, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D:
    Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on D: and choose proper locations on C:, when indexing starts to rebuild it reverts back to D: I though I had solved by temporarily turning of driver letter D:.

The indexing then happened on C: and things seemed good, so I turned D: drive letter back on and now the problem is back.

:)

drumtrucker, Sep 26, 2015
  2. Cpt John Win User

Windows 10 Indexing problems with two drives

File explorer search results only result with files from my D: drive even though I am searching in my C: drive. I have tried looking for things in the C: drive that should be trivial for the search to find and I have also tried rebuilding the index for my
    system. However, rebuilding the index still results in the same problem of only indexing my D: drive. I have tried to exclude the D: drive from the index list, but it then seems to uncheck the C: drive as well even though I have not unchecked this. Attempting
    to recheck the C: drive results in both the C: and D: drive being checked in the list and only the problem persists. Indexing seems to not be able to recognize that there exists two drives and instead assumes that only the D: drive exists for indexing.

Trying other solutions like restarting cortana or the searchui.exe have not worked and I believe the problem is with Indexing itself. Is there anything I can do short of removing the D: drive physically from the computer?

Cpt John, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - Start Search only returns results from C: drive

When searching from the start menu only files from the C: drive are returned.

I have 2 hard drives, C: (SSD) and D: (HDD) and folders on both drives are included in the search index.

Adding additional folders on the D: drive increases the number of indexed files.

I have attempted to rebuild the index multiple times but this has not solved the issue.

I have also performed "src /scannow" with no errors.

If I search for a file I know exists in an indexed folder in the D: drive no results are returned.

If I move that file to the C: drive then it will be found.

Is this expected behavior or are there any steps that can be taken to make search include results from all drives?

This is on a fresh windows 10 install.

Eoghanenigma, Sep 26, 2015
Thema:

Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

1. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C: - Similar Threads - Search indexing indexing

2. Indexing does not index boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing does not index boot drive: I have a boot drive and a backup drive cloned from the boot drive for emergencies. Indexing only finds the backup drive, which is overwritten by the clone program's boot drive backup weekly. If I modify indexing settings to index only the C boot drive, the backup H drive is...
  3. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  4. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  5. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

6. search indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  7. search indexing

search indexing: i cannot able to on search indexing and when i try to off or on the search indexing it is not connecting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing/4dfc976c-6238-4bd2-9da5-e390b5e5cbb3
  8. Search Index

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search Index: Sir, I have HP 14s laptop with windows 10 OS and my laptop has been some issue with search index Indexing is not running from few days back and I have to know proper solution to solve this problem. I already done with all step present on Youtube and by HP consultant on...
  9. Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Index Not Consistently Indexing Contents: Hello, I think I have hit the limit of my knowledge with an issue I'm hitting and figured I would share in case anyone has any insights! I'm currently running Windows 10.0.19042 on this machine. I am using the Windows Search Index in a powershell script in order to help with...
  10. Windows not indexing the C drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows not indexing the C drive: So i was trying to figure out why the search feature on file explorer was broken.. Found out that windows was not indexing my C:/ drive at all Any ideas how to fix this? i check it on my locations but does not seem to select it ... [ATTACH]...