Windows 10: Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

Discus and support Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C: in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D: Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drumtrucker, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D:
    Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on D: and choose proper locations on C:, when indexing starts to rebuild it reverts back to D: I though I had solved by temporarily turning of driver letter D:.

The indexing then happened on C: and things seemed good, so I turned D: drive letter back on and now the problem is back.

:)

drumtrucker, Sep 26, 2015
  2. Cpt John Win User

Windows 10 Indexing problems with two drives

File explorer search results only result with files from my D: drive even though I am searching in my C: drive. I have tried looking for things in the C: drive that should be trivial for the search to find and I have also tried rebuilding the index for my
    system. However, rebuilding the index still results in the same problem of only indexing my D: drive. I have tried to exclude the D: drive from the index list, but it then seems to uncheck the C: drive as well even though I have not unchecked this. Attempting
    to recheck the C: drive results in both the C: and D: drive being checked in the list and only the problem persists. Indexing seems to not be able to recognize that there exists two drives and instead assumes that only the D: drive exists for indexing.

Trying other solutions like restarting cortana or the searchui.exe have not worked and I believe the problem is with Indexing itself. Is there anything I can do short of removing the D: drive physically from the computer?

Cpt John, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - Start Search only returns results from C: drive

When searching from the start menu only files from the C: drive are returned.

I have 2 hard drives, C: (SSD) and D: (HDD) and folders on both drives are included in the search index.

Adding additional folders on the D: drive increases the number of indexed files.

I have attempted to rebuild the index multiple times but this has not solved the issue.

I have also performed "src /scannow" with no errors.

If I search for a file I know exists in an indexed folder in the D: drive no results are returned.

If I move that file to the C: drive then it will be found.

Is this expected behavior or are there any steps that can be taken to make search include results from all drives?

This is on a fresh windows 10 install.

Eoghanenigma, Sep 26, 2015
Thema:

Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

1. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C: - Similar Threads - Search indexing indexing

2. search indexer using cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    search indexer using cpu: hello. the search indexer is consumin all my cpu making my pc hot and slow. I have tryed disabling it many times in the services menu but it just still there. the idenxing options is stuck "in waiting to receive indexing status..." dont know what elese to do plis help....
  3. Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search and - allow contents on this drive to be indexed: If I disable the setting "allow contents on this drive to be indexed" does it impact the windows search feature? My C drive is an SSD. I have been having issues with windows explorer being very slow on all drive so been researching possible issues. I came across that I...
  4. Search Index is not working!

in Cortana
    Search Index is not working!: My windows search index is not working, when I try to open options and rebuild index it shows waiting to receive indexing status... As you can see below, that's what I'm getting! Need help asap! [ATTACH]...
  5. D drive installations instead of C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    D drive installations instead of C drive: During installations of any of my apps I always try to install them on my D drive. (Not MS Store apps, I can't stand that drivel.) I notice that certain apps absolutely refuse to offer any alternative installation location besides the C drive (system drive). No such dialogue...
  6. Search & Index problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Search & Index problem: Hi, I have installed a program called Windows10 Manager. It has sub-program executables (independent of the main program) [img] I want to quick access them pressing the windows key and start typing their name which invokes suggestions. I have specifically indexed only...
  7. Index Mapped Drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Index Mapped Drives?: Can Windows 10 finally index mapped/network drives? 7546
  8. Drive indexing slow?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Drive indexing slow?: If I click on This PC it takes 15 minutes before it will show me my drives. It didn't do this when I had an install over a jumbled win 7. Now I did a complete fresh install of 7 and cleared all my drives and then upgraded. Now that I started to load things it seems like it is...
  9. Indexing of a second drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Indexing of a second drive: Hi There, I am having indexing problems in that only my C: drive gets indexed and my data drive D: gets ignored. This means that none of the data on D: is included and as this is where my Outlook files are stored, they too don't get included. I have tried rebuilding the...
  10. Strange Search Indexer Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange Search Indexer Issue: I've never encountered this bug before. So a few days ago, my Search Indexer decided to go strange on me. I wasn't able to find files on different drives that are connected to the computer. I did all 3 options at: Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials...