Windows 10: Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

Discus and support Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C: in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D: Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drumtrucker, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

dual boot system 10 on C:, 7 on D:
    Search indexing insists on indexing drive D: instead of C: No matter how many times I uncheck indexing locations on D: and choose proper locations on C:, when indexing starts to rebuild it reverts back to D: I though I had solved by temporarily turning of driver letter D:.

The indexing then happened on C: and things seemed good, so I turned D: drive letter back on and now the problem is back.

:)

drumtrucker, Sep 26, 2015
  2. Cpt John Win User

Windows 10 Indexing problems with two drives

File explorer search results only result with files from my D: drive even though I am searching in my C: drive. I have tried looking for things in the C: drive that should be trivial for the search to find and I have also tried rebuilding the index for my
    system. However, rebuilding the index still results in the same problem of only indexing my D: drive. I have tried to exclude the D: drive from the index list, but it then seems to uncheck the C: drive as well even though I have not unchecked this. Attempting
    to recheck the C: drive results in both the C: and D: drive being checked in the list and only the problem persists. Indexing seems to not be able to recognize that there exists two drives and instead assumes that only the D: drive exists for indexing.

Trying other solutions like restarting cortana or the searchui.exe have not worked and I believe the problem is with Indexing itself. Is there anything I can do short of removing the D: drive physically from the computer?

Cpt John, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - Start Search only returns results from C: drive

When searching from the start menu only files from the C: drive are returned.

I have 2 hard drives, C: (SSD) and D: (HDD) and folders on both drives are included in the search index.

Adding additional folders on the D: drive increases the number of indexed files.

I have attempted to rebuild the index multiple times but this has not solved the issue.

I have also performed "src /scannow" with no errors.

If I search for a file I know exists in an indexed folder in the D: drive no results are returned.

If I move that file to the C: drive then it will be found.

Is this expected behavior or are there any steps that can be taken to make search include results from all drives?

This is on a fresh windows 10 install.

Eoghanenigma, Sep 26, 2015
Thema:

Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C:

1. Search indexing is indexing my D: drive instead of C: - Similar Threads - Search indexing indexing

2. Windows not indexing the C drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows not indexing the C drive: So i was trying to figure out why the search feature on file explorer was broken.. Found out that windows was not indexing my C:/ drive at all Any ideas how to fix this? i check it on my locations but does not seem to select it ... [ATTACH]...
  3. Can't index and search network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't index and search network drive: A z drive exists which is a share on a QNAP NAS. On other Windows PC's, when a user searches in File Explorer they get results for files on that NAS share. On this specific Windows PC, they get minimal results from the NAS Share. It's as if indexing isn't complete. I've...
  4. Search Indexer Error

in Cortana
    Search Indexer Error: My Windows 10 Version is 2004. I had installed a theme using ULTRA UX THEME PATCHER. I created a restore point before installing the theme. From then, I Cannot use the Search Option on the taskbar and also I cannot see windows explorer search option. I even had run the...
  5. Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive

in Cortana
    Cannot change search index locations to include C-drive: Searching any C-drive folders on my machine was taking a long time and not returning any results always returns "No items match your search", so I am attempting to change the indexing options to include my C-drive. However, when I select it on the Indexed Locations dialog,...
  6. Windows Search and Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search and Indexing: When I rebuild the index, I get the message "indexing complete" after a couple of hours, but only 4,000 files are indexed, which is only a small percentage of the total number of files in the directories I've listed for indexing. One directory contains over 10,000 files, a...
  7. File Search Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Search Indexing: Hello community, my files from a network mapped drive are not indexed. when i search a file from Windows Search, it does not find the file yet the is there on my network mapped drive. The workstation is running windows 10, my network folder is shared locally from Windows 10...
  8. Search Index not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search Index not working: I have tried so many different things on forums and I still cannot get my search index to work. Both my C and E drives are set for indexing. And the Search Index properties show no Locations as the Index is not running. My permissions are set for Local Administrator. I do...
  9. Search Index is not working!

in Cortana
    Search Index is not working!: My windows search index is not working, when I try to open options and rebuild index it shows waiting to receive indexing status... As you can see below, that's what I'm getting! Need help asap! [ATTACH]...
  10. Search & Index problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Search & Index problem: Hi, I have installed a program called Windows10 Manager. It has sub-program executables (independent of the main program) [img] I want to quick access them pressing the windows key and start typing their name which invokes suggestions. I have specifically indexed only...