Windows 10: Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help

Discus and support Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Earlier the Windows Search was running fine, but now when I search in Windows Explorer, it shows 'Search indexing was turn off. Turn indexing back on.'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Abhi-Rama, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Abhi-Rama Win User

Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help

Earlier the Windows Search was running fine, but now when I search in Windows Explorer, it shows 'Search indexing was turn off. Turn indexing back on.' When I click here Indexing Options opens with a message 'Indexing is not running.' I try to open 'Searching Windows' option in Settings => Privacy & security => Windows permissions, the Settings collapse and disappears, closes automatically I tried Troubleshoot, from Settings => System => Troubleshoot => Other trouble-shooters => Other => Search and Indexing, it finds the problem as Windows Search service not running,

:)

Abhi-Rama, Aug 20, 2022
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Aug 20, 2022
  3. malernah Win User
    Search Indexing was Turned Off

When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on.

Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help 90359a9b-3438-4cdc-bcbc-c0236190f699.png

Please let me know what steps I can take to troubleshoot and resolve, and I will follow steps and post results of steps.

malernah, Aug 20, 2022
  4. David Haz Win User

Unable to make changes in Indexing Options

Hello,

We suggest to run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter and check if it helps with the indexing issue you are experiencing.

Here's how you may run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key + X, and then click
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting, and then click View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the steps provided by the troubleshooter.

Tell us how it goes.

Regards.

David Haz, Aug 20, 2022
Thema:

1. Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help - Similar Threads - Search Indexing running

2. Search Indexing constantly turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Indexing constantly turning off: Hi there,I am working IT and am running into an issue with an end user who's search indexing keeps turning off. The temporary fix is to re-index the drive but that lasts a month at most. We have tried all the trouble shooters, forcing services to run, multiple indexing...
  3. Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help: Earlier the Windows Search was running fine, but now when I search in Windows Explorer, it shows 'Search indexing was turn off. Turn indexing back on.' When I click here Indexing Options opens with a message 'Indexing is not running.' I try to open 'Searching Windows' option...
  4. Search Indexing is turned off, Windows search service down, help pls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Indexing is turned off, Windows search service down, help pls: I just can't fix this, need some help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing-is-turned-off-windows-search/18920ac3-0d12-467e-9fe3-c4b09598fca1
  5. Search Indexing is turned off, Windows search service down, help pls

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Indexing is turned off, Windows search service down, help pls: I just can't fix this, need some help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing-is-turned-off-windows-search/18920ac3-0d12-467e-9fe3-c4b09598fca1
  6. Searching Index was turned off. Windows Index/Search Service missing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Searching Index was turned off. Windows Index/Search Service missing.: Good day!I have no idea why but my "Searching Index was turned off". When I try entering advanced settings, it says index is not running. I am not able to click anything else other than Advanced. In advanced, I also cannot press nothing other than rebuild index. I have tried...
  7. Searching Index was turned off. Index Service missing.

Searching Index was turned off. Index Service missing.: Good day!I have no idea why but my "Searching Index was turned off". When I try entering advanced settings, it says index is not running. I am not able to click anything else other than Advanced. In advanced, I also cannot press nothing other than rebuild index. I have tried...
  8. Index and Search refuse to turn on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Index and Search refuse to turn on: A few months ago my indexing turned off. When I try to turn it on, it tells me that it can't be started (error 21). I have spent hours upon hours following guides and trying different things to fix it but it just will not work. Today, I decided to reset windows. That deleted...
  9. Unable to turn on Windows search service. PLEASE HELP!!!

Unable to turn on Windows search service. PLEASE HELP!!!: I've tried too many things to count at this point. Unable to rebuild index as search service won't run/turn on. Have tried troubleshooting which did nothing. Have used cmd as admin and ran: net user administrator /active:yes. Have set the service to start manually and...
  10. Windows Search & Indexing not running

Windows Search & Indexing not running: I'm running Win 10 Pro and Windows Search and Indexing are not running. I can't turn them on. I'm thinking my only recourse is to reload Windows, but I don't want to end up with the same problem again. Any advice?...