Windows 10: Search is not working.

Discus and support Search is not working. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's me Archie, not you. I think Win10 testing has fried my brain! The search cache gets filled as the gatherer crawls the system and updates the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Arc, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Search is not working.

It's me Archie, not you. I think Win10 testing has fried my brain!

The search cache gets filled as the gatherer crawls the system and updates the index.

How long do you wait for the rebuild to finish. It depends on the number of locations indexed. It's usually fairly fast - 10-15 minutes.
    If you look back at indexing options in Control Panel, you'll know when it's done

Search is not working. [​IMG]

The rest - I'll just say that I've submitted feedback about search not working 'correctly' on 9926 and 10041 releases. Each machine and environment is different. For some members search works fine - not me, and not as expected (it should search regardless of Cortana settings or network connection, or MS account ... it should search).

I just use the File Explorer search box - or Command Prompt to find things. I have no other choice ... yet.

Bill

Slartybart, Mar 28, 2015
  2. ARC
    Arc Win User

Yes, indexing complete. But still which I click on the seh button I only get the mouse hover effect on the button. *Sad I guess my bad luck.

It is not anything very essential, but still it would be good it it would have been worked.

3. Ok Archie, here's the insane part! After reading your post# 15, I decided to give Search another go.

Right clicked taskbar, pick Search, enabled Show search icon
    I hovered over the magnifying glass on the taskbar to get a first hand look at what you described. Then I clicked the icon and ... and
    ... it worked!

Not only did the search pane appear, but it searched and actually found what I wanted (msconfig is my standard search item).

I did not restart and I also checked to see if WU gave me something behind the scenes (it did not).
    I am using a local account.

So what happened?
    I toggled the Search box on (taskbar search pick),
    I changed the taskbar to NOT use small icons (the search box did NOT appear, only the icon was displayed)
    I toggled the search icon on (taskbar properties -> toolbars tab - > Search on the taskbar -> icon)

Nothing worked at that point, so I reverted to the way I was operating my machine

I changed the taskbar to use small icons (the search icon was still displayed)
    I disabled search icon on (taskbar properties -> toolbars tab - > Search on the taskbar -> disabled)

Then I read post# 15 and (see notes at top).

Something isn't sticking and the settings need to be 'awakened' - at least on my machine.

Play around with the display search settings and see if any one particular set works for you. No guarantee that it will be retained after a restart.

Best of luck, my friend.

Slartybart, Mar 28, 2015
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Search is not working.

Hi Michale. *Biggrin

Though a single go did not help me, but a few rebuilds and restarts made everything back to normal. Seh is working again!!!

Search is not working. [​IMG]

Great help, mate! *Thumbs

Thanks a lot for your valuable assistance. I am marking this thread as solved, cheers.

Thema:

Search is not working.

1. Search is not working. - Similar Threads - Search working

2. Cannot search with Windows, Emoji button not working, cant screenshot etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot search with Windows, Emoji button not working, cant screenshot etc.: I can't post a screenshot but when i try to type something in search bar it doesn't work just when i press "S" it squares the Steam Application and when i try to use CTRL + . it doesn't open the emoji bar and when i try CTRL + SHIFT/WIN + S it doesn't work for screenshot....
  3. Cannot search with Windows, Emoji button not working, cant screenshot etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot search with Windows, Emoji button not working, cant screenshot etc.: I can't post a screenshot but when i try to type something in search bar it doesn't work just when i press "S" it squares the Steam Application and when i try to use CTRL + . it doesn't open the emoji bar and when i try CTRL + SHIFT/WIN + S it doesn't work for screenshot....
  4. How do i reset windows search because it does not work at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i reset windows search because it does not work at all: Updates are installed, latest copy of official windows 11 image from microsoftI have a video of it showing the defect, it's not very eventful but I can post it somewhere for demonstration. I cannot use search at all....
  5. How do i reset windows search because it does not work at all

How do i reset windows search because it does not work at all: Updates are installed, latest copy of official windows 11 image from microsoftI have a video of it showing the defect, it's not very eventful but I can post it somewhere for demonstration. I cannot use search at all....
  6. Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...: Hello, i have a bad, bad, bad news.My taskbar not working, when i click on something on right of it it not work, but opens apps on taskbar as well as before.Them most needed part of Every windows that have Start button, Start button and Start menu... NOT WORK.Search bar too...
  7. Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...: Hello, i have a bad, bad, bad news.My taskbar not working, when i click on something on right of it it not work, but opens apps on taskbar as well as before.Them most needed part of Every windows that have Start button, Start button and Start menu... NOT WORK.Search bar too...
  8. Not working taskbar and search bar and start menu and all on the right of taskbar not...

9. Windows 11 Search Bar Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Search Bar Not Working: Hi everyone, not sure if anyone is facing this problem but my laptop shut down unexpectedly and updated on its own. When my laptop restarted, the Windows search bar can't be used anymore, it just turns up blank. I've tried everything but it just seems like nothing is...
  10. Windows 11 Search Bar Not Working

Windows 11 Search Bar Not Working: Hi everyone, not sure if anyone is facing this problem but my laptop shut down unexpectedly and updated on its own. When my laptop restarted, the Windows search bar can't be used anymore, it just turns up blank. I've tried everything but it just seems like nothing is...