Windows 10: Search is not working.

Discus and support Search is not working. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. *Smile A few days ago I have got build 10041 via windows update. Works good overall, but I am having a little issue from then. Seh is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Arc, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ARC
    Arc Win User

Search is not working.

Hi. *Smile

A few days ago I have got build 10041 via windows update. Works good overall, but I am having a little issue from then. Seh is not working. When I click on the seh button on the desktop, it does nothing.

Is there any way that I can get it back?

Also, what does this blank bar do?

Search is not working. [​IMG]

Thanks a lot in advance. *Smile

:)

2. Content search not working, search is not showing the documents containing the searched words.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: If you are facing problem in searching then
    I suggest you to run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter
    as below and check if it helps.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.
    • Run the Troubleshooter as per on-screen instruction.

Method 2: I suggest you to check whether the Windows search service is set automatic or not as below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R run command and type
      services. MSc
    • Check for Windows Search. Right click on the service, you will get
      properties option.
    • In properties set the status as Automatic and
      click OK.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 27, 2015
  3. Content search not working, search is not showing the documents containing the searched words.

Dear Santosh,

Thank you for your efforts. I have a completely new fresh Windows, so it surprised me that I can not search the contents of files (words search in documents).

Clearly this is a bug, especially when taking into account the way I solved it. I discovered the solution by accident and decided to share it here, because maybe others will benefit from it.

It was enough to add one random folder to the indexed folders, remove it and then add it again (then you can remove it if you do not want to have it indexed - search without indexing still works, only a tiny bit slower). I know this should not work, but
    it worked. I added a folder with most of my Word files.

Here's how:

1. In the Control Panel (View by: Small icons), click the Indexing Options

2. Modify button

3. In the upper window, double-click on the disk / folder and select a new folder for indexing (I chose the one with my Word files). It should appear in the lower window.

4. Restart the computer.

5. Repeat steps 1 and 2 and then deselect the previously selected folder.

6. Restart your computer

7. Repeat steps 1-4

For me it worked! What's interesting - adding one folder made the files content search work everywhere - in all folders on my computer. Voila!

naturelovers, Mar 27, 2015
  4. Search is not working.

Olivir2014, Mar 27, 2015
  5. davehc Win User
    Yes. Just type a name for the group you are showing. You can rearrange the groups and give each one a name.

davehc, Mar 27, 2015
  6. I've had this issue with build 10041, a simple reboot fixes it, in my case.

fracking4oil, Mar 27, 2015
  7. gzt7d8 Win User
    This will sound a little weird and off base, but I had the same problem. I couldn't even click into the bar on the task bar where Cortana was located. Couldn't right click over it either.

I found this in the tutorial, Cortana - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    and used Option 2, because I could perform Option 1. I turned it off, then back on again...rebooted like fracking4oil suggested and it returned.

Now like I said, weird and off base but it worked for me.

gzt7d8, Mar 27, 2015
  8. Search is not working.

Coratna 10.041 requires three things

An active Internet connection
    Settings: turned on
    An MS account.

In my experience, if you are not connected, it does nothing.
    If you are connected and it is off, it shows the trends, but search is still brain dead
    If you try to sign-in to your MS account through Cortana, the dialog wants you to Switch from a local account to a MS account. That's not just signing in, that's more than I wanted to do, so that's as far as I went ... I did not Switch to a MS account. I have another account set up to test with that, but I never would have seen this on that sign-in account.

Slartybart, Mar 27, 2015
  9. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Thank you Oliver. A click on this place showed that white bar. I was not familiar with it, now I know. Thanks. *Smile

Yes, Dave. Thank you for making it clear. *Smile

But a number of reboots did noting for me. *Sad

I cannot follow option 1, because if I click on seh it does nothing.
    Did the option 2, but it seems that I am not as lucky as you are. *Sad Will try it again.

10. ARC
    Arc Win User
    I have tried two previous builds of 10, and seh (not Cortana, I always did "stop getting to know me) worked all the times .... online or offline, microsoft account or local account.

11. ARC
    Arc Win User
    By the way .... what is this now?

12. I used to have this same issue and this was actually from a couple of updates back. I finally fixed the issue today and it boiled down to rebuilding the search index for me. This is how you can do that:

Index - Rebuild - Windows 7 Help Forums

michaelrule4, Mar 28, 2015
  13. Search is not working.

Ah, I misread post# 1.
    Search from the desktop? Do you mean the search in File Explorer? If that is the case, try michaelrule4's suggestion - rebuild the index. There was also an issue in Win7, I think, that if Libraries (related to the index) are removed, search fails to work - does nothing. Try Restore default Libraries (in the navigation pane of File Explorer, right click on Libraries - select option).

Windows - MS Search in cCleaner has been there as long as I can remember, at least since I moved to Win8.1 (but memory being what it is ... *Tongue). It's the search cache. You can right click on any of the categories to see the files and investigate if warranted, or de-select that category and analyze again if you do NOT want to clean up the files.

edit: I read post#1 again and saw button - so that takes me back to Cortana (taskbar search button).
    I'm very confused *Wink
    See if you can clear it up for me by right clicking on the taskbar and see what Search option is set - try selecting Show search box - that will help me understand what search isn't working and maybe .... maybe get me on the correct path to offer some meaningful feedback. You also have to de-select taskbar properties -> Taskbar tab -> Use small taskbar buttons to see the search box !

Never mind - this doesn't work - I cannot get the search box to display on the taskbar, not matter where I set it (taskbar context menu: search, or taskbar properties -> Toolbars tab ->Search on the taskbar [ options dropdown list ]

If you want a search icon on the desktop (a shorctut to the Modern search, navigate to
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and copy the search shortcut to your desktop.

There are too many searches at the moment *really and they're all in flux.

Slartybart, Mar 28, 2015
  14. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Hi Bill. It is seh only, with cortana disabled.

About the ccleaner, I am wondering that how it can clean that volume of seh when seh is not working at all.

Right click on taskbar ....

Yes, I can use any of the sehes. As I cannot use any seh at all. I am just wondering why the native thing is not working. Nothing else.

15. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Hi Michael. Thanks a great lot for this post. I have done what you suggested.

When done, I got this .....

I clicked OK. Apparently nothing happened. So I closed the control panel. Now I should wait? How much it may take?

Thanks again, for understanding me at least. I did not think that my post was not that dumb that people will be confused. Bu that happened.

Thema:

Search is not working.

1. Search is not working. - Similar Threads - Search working

2. Start Menu / Search Bar / Microsoft Store / Notepad are not working!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu / Search Bar / Microsoft Store / Notepad are not working!!!!: List of Not working software :Microsoft StoreNotepadPhotosOneNote for windows 10List of some softwares being removed without my acknowledgement :Square Line studioArduino IDENvidia Geforce experienceIssue : A list of softwares are not working on my windows 11 PCStart...
  3. Start Menu / Search Bar / Microsoft Store / Notepad are not working!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu / Search Bar / Microsoft Store / Notepad are not working!!!!: List of Not working software :Microsoft StoreNotepadPhotosOneNote for windows 10List of some softwares being removed without my acknowledgement :Square Line studioArduino IDENvidia Geforce experienceIssue : A list of softwares are not working on my windows 11 PCStart...
  4. Search bar crashing, built in apps not working/crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search bar crashing, built in apps not working/crashing: I recently got a new computer with windows 10 on it. I just started using it, but multiple problems occurred. First i tried using the sticky notes app - it could not open. I then rebooted the app by: Click start - settings - apps - find sticky notes - click on it and hit...
  5. Search bar crashing, built in apps not working/crashing

Search bar crashing, built in apps not working/crashing: I recently got a new computer with windows 10 on it. I just started using it, but multiple problems occurred. First i tried using the sticky notes app - it could not open. I then rebooted the app by: Click start - settings - apps - find sticky notes - click on it and hit...
  6. Search bar crashing, built in apps not working/crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts: I've been experiencing persistent issues with the Windows Search function on my Windows 10 system. When I attempt to use the search feature, it seems that not all applications are appearing in the results. I've noticed that in Task Manager, the Search process is automatically...
  8. Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts

Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts: I've been experiencing persistent issues with the Windows Search function on my Windows 10 system. When I attempt to use the search feature, it seems that not all applications are appearing in the results. I've noticed that in Task Manager, the Search process is automatically...
  9. Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts

in Cortana
  10. windows 11: search bar stopped working when i changed the font

windows 11: search bar stopped working when i changed the font: hii have seen this problem with others but couldnt find solution for it,i changed the font using the registery method, it did but the search bar stopped workingi have restored the font back to default and restarted several services like the other methods said but it seems to...