Windows 10: Search layout in Windows Explorer keeps going back to "Content" layout

Discus and support Search layout in Windows Explorer keeps going back to "Content" layout in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I do file search a lot in File Explorer and the default layout for the search results is "Content". Normally I'm able to change this to "Details"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by syrist, Oct 13, 2016.

1. syrist Win User

Search layout in Windows Explorer keeps going back to "Content" layout

Hi, I do file search a lot in File Explorer and the default layout for the search results is "Content". Normally I'm able to change this to "Details" layout, resize the columns, etc. and this layout would be saved.

However, after I did the anniversary update I'm no longer able to save my layout and no matter what I do, the search layout always goes back to "Content" view.

Does anybody how to modify the registry so I can force File Explorer to save the search layout after I modify it? I want this layout to affect search results only and not the regular File Explorer window layout.

Thanks,
    -Pete

:)

syrist, Oct 13, 2016
  2. Becky9 Win User

How do I change the default view for Windows 10 File Explorer search results?

You'll find that doesn't stick. After you do the steps above, go to the search box in the upper right and start typing in a file name. You'll see the layout changes to the annoying "Content" layout".

Becky9, Oct 13, 2016
  3. Paulh008 Win User
    Unable to set Pen Mode as default keyboard layout.

I have a capacitative touch screen 2 in 1, so there is no way for Windows to detect a stylus. I take a lot of notes where using the standard keyboard isn't very applicable. I keep setting the layout to the handwriting layour. Every time the OSK pops up,
    it's back to to the QWERTY layout. I can set it as the mobile layout, "thumb" layout, andfull keyboard, but the handwriting layout will not stay. Is there any way around this?

Paulh008, Oct 13, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

In my File Explorer [renamed from Windows Explorer back with Win8] I set the View as I desire, then go to the Search. When clicking the Up arrow to return I get the Details view as I had it set. But then I nearly always want the Detail view so I end up going to Options on the View tab, click the View tab in that panel then click Apply to Folders so each time I use File Explorer it looks the same.

Berton, Oct 13, 2016
  5. syrist Win User
    Hi, thanks for the reply... I already tried that and the Apply button is greyed out (unavailable) for search results. Besides, I don't want to apply this view to all folders, only the search results.

syrist, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search layout in Windows Explorer keeps going back to "Content" layout - Similar Threads - Search layout Explorer

2. Search pane layout

in Cortana
    Search pane layout: My search pane used to look like the following :With the search results on the left panel and additional options for the current selection on the right panel.But recently my search pane has changed to this layout :As you see, I no longer have the right panel.This is a real...
  3. Search pane layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search pane layout: My search pane used to look like the following :With the search results on the left panel and additional options for the current selection on the right panel.But recently my search pane has changed to this layout :As you see, I no longer have the right panel.This is a real...
  4. Search pane layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Keyboard layout keeps changing layout

Keyboard layout keeps changing layout: My entire Windows is configured in English, the layout of the keyboard in Swiss-French. I speak fluently five languages between which I have to switch professionally several times during the day. I was drafting an e-mail in English and Windows kept changing the layout from...
  6. Keyboard layout keeps changing layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard layout keeps changing layout: My entire Windows is configured in English, the layout of the keyboard in Swiss-French. I speak fluently five languages between which I have to switch professionally several times during the day. I was drafting an e-mail in English and Windows kept changing the layout from...
  7. Can't remove keyboard layout it's always defaulted back to this layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't remove keyboard layout it's always defaulted back to this layout: Hello, I have been reading the threads on how to remove the unwanted keyboard layout and followed the instructions. However, the unwanted Vietnamesekeyboard layout is still there and I don't know how I can remove it. Can anyone please assist? Thank you...
  8. Can't remove keyboard layout it's always defaulted back to this layout

Can't remove keyboard layout it's always defaulted back to this layout: Hello, I have been reading the threads on how to remove the unwanted keyboard layout and followed the instructions. However, the unwanted Vietnamesekeyboard layout is still there and I don't know how I can remove it. Can anyone please assist? Thank you...
  9. New file explorer layout

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New file explorer layout: I don't know why but now my file explorer is weirdly laid out. I put it to default and now it's like this I didn't know windows had changed the default look but I liked the old one better. Also my drive folder which is the Acer C: folder has disappeared is there any reason...
  10. Layout Of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Layout Of File Explorer: I have just converted from Windows 7 to Windows 10. In W7 I had File Explorer laid out with two panes. On the left were frequently used files, on the right currently actives files and folders. This was really convenient. When I first started to use FE in Windows 10, this...