Windows 10: Search menu & searching

Discus and support Search menu & searching in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi I’m currently on Windows 10 (18363) in S mode. Looking for some help with the following: I used to have classic shell installed to make the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GhostNoteSymphonies, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Search menu & searching

Hi I’m currently on Windows 10 (18363) in S mode.

Looking for some help with the following:

1. I used to have classic shell installed to make the search box appear in the start menu (like XP). I see on windows 10 you can have it on the toolbar now, but is it possible to just have it show on the start menu?

2. When searching for files using windows explorer I keep getting results that show type “shortcut”. Is it possible to turn this off or hide those results?

Edit: I was able to remove the .LNK (shortcuts) from appearing in the search results using filename & NOT *.LNK ....... not crazy about this solution. Would prefer just not having it show up.

I also tried removing the .LNK from the index and that didn’t seem to work.

submitted by /u/GhostNoteSymphonies
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/GhostNoteSymphonies, Jul 20, 2020
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

Search Question

Which is why I suggested he try there instead. TPU is too limited of a user base to search here alone for anything gaming related.

rtwjunkie, Jul 20, 2020
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Search menu & searching

Search Question

I've done some searching on here over the years, and mostly been aggravated at the results. Case in point: 5 minutes ago I went to search for anyone having issues with 5.1 audio on Wolfenstein new order. So, I started simple with
    New Order
    . that didn't go well. So, I swapped to "New Order". That gave me this result

Search Results for Query: "new order"
    • The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: new
    Is there any way to change or improve our search engine? Or is there a better way to search for something like that?

Ahhzz, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Search menu & searching

1. Search menu & searching - Similar Threads - Search menu searching

2. Search menu never search anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search menu never search anything: My search menu never works. You will be able to type and search for anything but it will never find a result. It will load forever and nothing happens. You can close it and type again but issue goes on. Why this functionality is faulty anyway? Before I have some major issue...
  3. Search menu never search anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search menu never search anything: My search menu never works. You will be able to type and search for anything but it will never find a result. It will load forever and nothing happens. You can close it and type again but issue goes on. Why this functionality is faulty anyway? Before I have some major issue...
  4. Search menu never search anything

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. hidden search menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hidden search menu: I'm having trouble with searching in my search bar or by pressing windows key. When I try to search almost half of the results is not showing. It's annoying how can I fix this?...
  6. hidden search menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hidden search menu: I'm having trouble with searching in my search bar or by pressing windows key. When I try to search almost half of the results is not showing. It's annoying how can I fix this?...
  7. hidden search menu

8. Search Menu Blocked

Search Menu Blocked: Hi, when i press the windows button and directly start typing to search something, the menu is blocked by a grey part, and it disappears when i tap anywhere on the search menu. Anyway to fix this?...
  9. windows search menu

in Cortana
    windows search menu: Hi. Windows search is not working suddenly. when i type a file name or app name its searching for a long time and no results appears. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-menu/15e4c605-fd2f-472c-996a-63d42d28acfe"
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...