Windows 10: "Search my stuff" unclickable, search window becomes blank white box

Discus and support "Search my stuff" unclickable, search window becomes blank white box in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I am a former Windows 7 Ultimate user who upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I am having some major problems with the Search feature which renders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by redblade7, Aug 5, 2015.

1. redblade7 Win User

"Search my stuff" unclickable, search window becomes blank white box

Hi,

I am a former Windows 7 Ultimate user who upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I am having some major problems with the Search feature which renders Windows mostly unusable.

The problem consists of the following, in order:

1. Windows Search rebuilds the index with "We're getting search ready...", with only indexed start menu and desktop items in the list.
    2. The "Search my stuff" feature is inaccessible. Pressing Enter or clicking it does absolutely nothing.
    3. After a while, the popup portion is replaced by a blank white box of the same size with a vertical scrollbar. In this phase, even typing a file/folder name by path and pressing Enter does not work.
    4. I have to restart my machine and the process starts over. (Sometimes killing "SearchUI.exe" from Sysinternals Process Explorer, which automatically restarts "SearchUI.exe", does the job instead)

Anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it?

Thank you!

:)

redblade7, Aug 5, 2015
  2. KLBogue Win User

How to access or enable Search box in Windows 10 computer?

Cortana exists as an icon. Whether it's an icon or a search box (and I've set it both ways just to honor your question), the "My Stuff" and "Web" buttons no longer appear when I type a file name in the search box.

KLBogue, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Windows Search Bar becomes unclickable, cannot change default applications

Main specs: surface laptop 64 bit windows 10 pro

After KB4090913 patch (part of the windows 10 1709), 1. my windows search bar becomes not clickable, the color turned grey, and clicking on it does not respond in any way. 2. I cannot change my default programs setting, clicking on anything does not change
    anything, also, a “reset default app” notification pops up at every boot-up.

Also I cannot revert the update, tried it once and the act of uninstalling the update itself failed.

chenzhong1, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

"Search my stuff" unclickable, search window becomes blank white box

1. "Search my stuff" unclickable, search window becomes blank white box - Similar Threads - Search stuff unclickable

2. File explorer has white search box!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer has white search box!: As you can see my file explorer has a white search bar. I've tried many things labelled reference to the post below. Does anyone know how to fix this?? This has been an ongoing problem for around 7 months. Im currently on dark mode - I updated my pc to Windows 11 and...
  3. File explorer has white search box!

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer has white search box!: As you can see my file explorer has a white search bar. I've tried many things labelled reference to the post below. Does anyone know how to fix this?? This has been an ongoing problem for around 7 months. Im currently on dark mode - I updated my pc to Windows 11 and...
  4. Text color turned white in Search Box

in Cortana
    Text color turned white in Search Box: HelloRecently I enabled High Contrast for a bit just to explore, and when I turned it back off I saw that whatever text I typed in Windows Search was white and was not visible. It wasn't like that previously. Everywhere else the texts looks normal but in search it is white...
  5. Start menu and search box become unresponsive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu and search box become unresponsive: I'm running the latest version of Windows, but this started before I upgraded. Whenever it happens, I have to restart the Windows Explorer service to get it to start back. I've looked at the Event Viewer, but nothing seems to jump out. The 2 warnings I see a lot are the...
  6. blank white boxes for my files

in Windows 10 Customization
    blank white boxes for my files: Windows 10 pro 64 bit how to correct blank white boxes on my files and short cuts https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blank-white-boxes-for-my-files/09b30ae3-6d28-4998-b9d0-306d9fa6eb0f
  7. Search box blank

in Cortana
    Search box blank: If I type in the 'type here to search' box it brings up a black box. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-box-blank/387cc735-d0c7-4630-9286-d7747364539d"
  8. Search gives me a white box

in Cortana
    Search gives me a white box: When I try to type something into the search box a white screen appears. The circle goes around but nothing changes. Any ideas would be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-gives-me-a-white-box/b39f8830-30d8-431e-ab42-8a1ea0cef0b6"
  9. Startbar searches unclickable.

in Windows 10 Support
    Startbar searches unclickable.: Startbar searches show results and can be accessed via arrow keys and activated using Enter. These items are un-clickable and keyboard navigation no longer works once a click is initiated. I have tried disabling"active" Cortana (and the service) and any combo of that and...
  10. Cortana Search is white and blank

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Search is white and blank: Hello all, New Asus computer, windows 10 - 64 bit. When I type something in the Cortana search, the pop-up comes up blank and white. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks for your help. 78852