Windows 10: Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu

Discus and support Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every time I open the start menu and type a few characters of a file I'm looking for Windows doesn't find it. For example if I type 'art' Windows shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by damole, Sep 30, 2016.

1. damole Win User

Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu

Every time I open the start menu and type a few characters of a file I'm looking for Windows doesn't find it. For example if I type 'art' Windows shows me the Paint app whereas I am looking for a file in my documents that contains the word 'Art', now if I click the find results in documents icon it will show me the file. Why does it not search in the all the folders that are selected in Control Panel->Indexing Options?

Is there anything I can do to disable best match?

:)

damole, Sep 30, 2016
  2. fshrago Win User

Change Windows Search to be documents not Best Match

When I click Start and start typing to search for a file, it never finds the file, only comes up with "Best Match" from the web. If I click on the documents icon, then it finds the correct file.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Francis

fshrago, Sep 30, 2016
  3. BobSlee Win User
    How to make Windows Search look in all drives with "Best Match"

So I noticed that when I use the search function in the Start menu, only programs and settings show up in the "Best Match" section. Any files that are on a secondary hard drive (which in my case is ALL of my files) don't show up in the "Best Match" section.
    I have indexed the secondary hard drive, and the documents/movies/music do show up when I click on the corresponding category on the top of the search menu, so they are properly indexed.

Is there any way to make them also show up in the "Best Match" section? It's a bit useless to have to sift through a menu and select my search item category before it shows up.

I'm running Windows 10 (Version 1709, build 16299.64)

**Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Cortana & search ).**

BobSlee, Sep 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi Cortana search is a mix of settings, internet, apps, files and folders.
    As such you have to tell it the subset you are interested in. When it works, it's fast and convenient.

Have you noticed its search of files and folders is limited to only what's indexed?

Do search the so much better way- use one of these free find-as-you-type programs: across all your disks. Much faster 1 time inexing than Windows search, and far more flexibility (date, size, extension, location...) in specifying what you want to find.

Everything by Void Tools (v1.4b or better)
    Ultrasearch
    Locate32 (older, but the one I prefer).

dalchina, Sep 30, 2016
  5. damole Win User
    Cortana is turned off. Yes but why can't I choose the default subset. Best Match is just not best for me. I'd rather it just searched apps and documents which is what I think Windows 8 used to do.

damole, Oct 1, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    if you want something that works as you wish, use Classic Shell (free) - a start menu that properly reflects a structured start menu, highly configurable, like XP expanding across the screen or like Win 7..

Here are its search options:

Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu [​IMG]

Otherwise please feel free to give feedback to MS

dalchina, Oct 1, 2016
  7. damole Win User
    I used to use ClassicShell with Windows 8/8.1 but thought I wouldn't need it now. Just installed it and it's doing the job. Thanks!

damole, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu - Similar Threads - Search finding files

2. Can not open file location, remove from start menu, or uninstall best match shortcut for...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can not open file location, remove from start menu, or uninstall best match shortcut for...: I recently installed Photoshop version 2021, and I want to replace the best match result when I type 'Photoshop' into my search bar. However, when I try to right click the deceased shortcut for Photoshop 2020 to remove it, nothing happens. I click on the shortcut, nothing...
  3. Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Posted on Microsoft Community, but all I got was "update your system", "run the troubleshooter", and "run sfc". Here's my problem: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it...
  4. [Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?

[Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?: Hi all, Just updated in the first time after probably 2 years (couldn't update before, long story), and i notice that the start search is now way wider and has this really annoying preview option that's essentially useless. How do i disable that? (through registry editing,...
  5. Remove select "Best Matches" from search bar results.

Remove select "Best Matches" from search bar results.: I use SourceTree a lot and when I type "sour" into search, I get two results, SourceTree and ODBC Data Sources and it places the not-SourceTree one on top. I have mistakenly hit enter and opened the not-SourceTree thing a few times and so now I must type "sourcet" and hit...
  6. Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match"

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match": Within the last couple of days, Windows search Best Match has become defective. For instance, when I used to type "scree", my screenshots folder would be at the top of the best match results. Now I type "scree", and it gives me the Best Match of Screenshot (181).png, and it...
  7. Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search: Hi, Today my "Control Panel" apps/shortcuts on the Start Menu search have stopped working. Happened half way through the morning after installing a new printer. Examples: [img] None of the above items work when clicked (except the items which cause a menu, e.g....
  8. Start menu search not finding applications?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search not finding applications?: Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However once i install programs like Office 2013 i can't find the application exe files by searching in the start menu. If i search for outlook or word in the start menu nothing shows up, this was not an issue in...
  9. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...
  10. Start menu search not showing partial matches

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search not showing partial matches: Hi. I have windows 10 home x64 in my desktop. My laptop has the also windows 10 home x64 and displays correctly the start menu search partial matches for words that i search. The desktop won't do that. For example i search in the laptop "word" and it show's me the Microsoft...